Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Flintlocks to In-Line: Need help

Flintlocks to In-Line: Need help

I’m adding a modern in-line Knight USAK 50 cal to my stable of flintlocks and percussion cap sidelocks. My first one is my sacrificial learning gun - abused but not unsalvageable.
    Of course the barrel looked like a sewer pipe. Thousands of lapping strokes (!), finished with 600 grit, lands are smooth, grooves still pitted (of course) but no raised edges or micro-burrs.
    Federal B.O.R. bullets load smoothly and will fill tags, but they’re pricey for practice and plinking.
    Knight sells saboted lead bullets that are cost effective, but are hard to load.

All this background for the real question. Can I lubricate a saboted bullet to make loading easier? If yes, what do I use?

I make my neighbors use power belts. They shoot good and load easy.

Super Moderator

The Powerbelts do load easier and shoot pretty well. You might could try a different sabot too. I like shooting the Barnes 50 Cal 300 grain bullets for Elk hunting, but they were so tight fitting they were a real a bear to load. I switched to the Harvester Crush Rib Sabots and it solved that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    The Powerbelts do load easier and shoot pretty well. You might could try a different sabot too. I like shooting the Barnes 50 Cal 300 grain bullets for Elk hunting, but they were so tight fitting they were a real a bear to load. I switched to the Harvester Crush Rib Sabots and it solved that problem.
    When a shooter with 11,000+ post offers advice, I pay attention. Thank you, sir, ordered correct size for my small stash and will replace the sabots with these.

Boolit Master
    I do not use sabots in my .50 inline, I shoot a .50 cal, 500 gr mine ball, lubed at about 1200 FPS, I tries sabots, too hard to load, Lee 500 gr or Lee real bullet 360 gr, lubed, shoot real accurate for me.

Boolit Grand Master

I use the Harvester crush rib sabots in my Knights and they load very easily and provide great accuracy.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I just use paper patched cast bullets in inlines just like I would in cartridge rifles, only different dimensions so they can be loaded. The right size goes down with the weight of the ramrod and shoots great. The only drawback is a 50 caliber bullet will generate a significant amount of recoil. Essentially it's a 50-90 or so.

Boolit Grand Master
    To the original question, NO. Don't lube plastic sabots. For me, that just gummed up the works, big time. I like the suggestions above and would follow them. I've had great luck with T/C Shock Waves. Off in another direction, I did take a T/C Impact that had been seriously neglected and sent it to Bobby Hoyt. The .50 cal became a .54 round baller. The slow twist in-liner is an absolute nail driver. Round balls are some of my favorites and probably are used more often than any store bought conical. In my Rem 700 ML, however, those T/C Shock Waves are just like shooting a .30-06 for me. Good luck.

Thanks to all for responses. This is a great place to ask for advice.

Boolit Master
    I'm another that would use a paper patched slug. My Lyman GPH can handle 450gn bullets but the Knight should have an even faster twist, allowing the use of 500gn slugs.