Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Loadmaster might be beyond me...Should I sell it?

Lee Loadmaster might be beyond me...Should I sell it?

I haven't got to use it much but the complexity of it I just have found out I do not enjoy and might can't handle. This is my first progressive press and I'm used to single stage to where I have complete control. I got this to really mash out some 9mm loads but it's so much going on at one time I end up with mistakes and sometimes it stops working and I have to problem solve for a while. All in all the frustration and time lost I don't know if it is better than a single stage for me.

The loadmaster can be made to run like a top but it’s probably the most difficult progressive to get to run smoothly.

If it seems like too much is going on and problems shut to down too long, I’d probably suggest selling it and getting a better progressive.

Boolit Master
    LM do take patience and tinkering to run smoothly. But when you get it smooth it will make good ammo and pretty fast. What troubles are you having? Have you tried the videos on set up and running it?
    Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Master
    If I can make it work anyone can. I did a stent on one years ago overcoming all the issues and making new ones lol. But if it makes you feel uncomfortable part with it.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    Dump it and get a Lee Classic Cast turret press. You’ll never regret it. My LM has been laying in my storage closet for three years and I feel safer knowing that’s where it resides.

Quote Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
    Dump it and get a Lee Classic Cast turret press. You’ll never regret it. My LM has been laying in my storage closet for three years and I feel safer knowing that’s where it resides.
    That's exactly what I wish I had done, gone the turret press route.

I went the LM route a few years ago and fiddled with it more than loading, just had to get rid of it before I shot it.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    Before you dump it, take off the case feeder and feed a case with the right hand and a bullet with the left. I find the case feeder to not be worth the headache.

Anything but CCI primers cause issues. Dont know why. Even Lee says not to use anything else.

So try priming, off the press and ditch the casefeeder and see what ya think. It will still flare, charge, seat and crimp faster than the 1x.

And keep it covered to protect it from dust.

If it doesnt work out i might be interested in your loadmaster.

Keep the Loadmaster.

The only real problem the Loadmaster has is the priming. Prime your cases separately, and then run them through the LM. You still save a huge amount of time over reloading single stage.

The complexity of progressive reloading is not any less with a different make of progressive, some are just more reliable than others.

Get yourself a single stage as well.

There are a few necessary operations that come up from time to time when reloading that can't be easily done on a progressive, so having the single stage as well is useful. For example, when you just need to load a few rounds to test a new load, it's a lot less effort to do those few on a single stage.

If your Loadmaster has other problems, like inconsistent case placement in the shellholder, or not indexing correctly, there are many good instructional videos out there to help you get it right, and the replacement parts are dirt cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    Keep the Loadmaster.

The only real problem the Loadmaster has is the priming. Prime your cases separately, and then run them through the LM. You still save a huge amount of time over reloading single stage.

The complexity of progressive reloading is not any less with a different make of progressive, some are just more reliable than others.

There are a few necessary operations that come up from time to time when reloading that can't be easily done on a progressive, so having the single stage as well is useful. For example, when you just need to load a few rounds to test a new load, it's a lot less effort to do those few on a single stage.

If your Loadmaster has other problems, like inconsistent case placement in the shellholder, or not indexing correctly, there are many good instructional videos out there to help you get it right, and the replacement parts are dirt cheap.
    Yesterday it just stopped indexing out of no where. Rod stopped moving and just stayed in. I could physically pull it out and make it index and it would just go back to not indexing.

Honestly at one point I had it butter smooth indexing and here lately it was indexing but not smoothly.

Boolit Master
    Pull the index bar and toss it. Index by hand. The sizing die aligns the shell plate.
    I have to push the feeder slide in both directions by hand. Make sure the primer trough stays full. Good luck, my match ammo comes off this unit.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    Keep the Loadmaster.

THIS^^^^^^

I prime off press as I found the Load Master priming system a selling point that will get the $$ of those who don't know (yet) how problematic it is.

Feeding it primed brass is the way to go, and you don't need 5 stations to accomplish that.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

If you have a "special friend" give it to them. Then just smile and wave as they back out of the driveway. The results may be quite satisfying in a sinister sort of way.

Boolit Grand Master
    How many rounds a month do you want to reload? How much time are you willing to spend reloading. How many calibers do you want to reload and how many of each? That will drive your decision wrt what kind of press you need.

Btw, you where warned not to buy this press by many on this forum. You were also told to buy it by many members.

Who will you listen to now? Whoever agrees with what you want to hear?

Here is reality. You will get rid of it. You are frustrated and have lost confidence in the machine and/or your ability to make it work. You will not be alone when you get rid of it.

I have a great deal of respect for Mr. Morris. What he can accomplish is beyond what most people are capable of. I am in that subset of folks who need a more forgiving machine than a LM.
    Don Verna

Most of my equipment is Lee, mainly because it is cheap, and I did not have a lot of money to spend at the time.
    If it had not been for Lee, I most likely would never have entered reloading.
    I got a Lee 1000 progressive press for Christmas, then I found two for $20.00, not apiece but for both.
    I don't use them as full progressives anymore, I still use them though.
    If I were to buy a progressive today, I would most likely go with a Dillion.
    I won't buy the Dillion because I have all the Lee stuff and I know how to make it work.

Boolit Master

I would love to have a loadmaster, but they are beyond my means, especially with what Biden has done to the economy.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Grand Master

You have lost confidence in it to produce ammo safely.chances are you will always question it in the back of your mind a distraction you dont need, notonly whileloading but alsowhile shooting the ammo loaded on this machine. I would recommend trading or selling it for something you do have confidence and trust in.

This one came to me as a box of parts. I ordered new parts from Titan for the flipper and priming system and spent around two weeks, in the evening figuring them out (also added things they don’t come with). That said, once you know what it takes to make them work, it’s pretty easy to keep them running.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    You have lost confidence in it to produce ammo safely.chances are you will always question it in the back of your mind a distraction you dont need, notonly whileloading but alsowhile shooting the ammo loaded on this machine. I would recommend trading or selling it for something you do have confidence and trust in.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ I'll second that.

Ben

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    That's exactly what I wish I had done, gone the turret press route.
    After 20 some years on a Redding Boss single stage I finally bought the Lee Classic Turret a few weeks ago. Couldn't be happier. One can manually advance the turret or use the auto index.
    I just don't shoot enough to warrant the expense of a progressive press. I shoot in the hundreds of rounds not thousands.