RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: statins

Boolit Master

statins

Any experiences, good or bad, with statin medications? I'm not having good luck with them.

Boolit Master
    I take Rosuvastatin and have never had any bad reactions. It has dramatically dropped my bad cholesterol.
    Last edited by HWooldridge; 04-19-2023 at 06:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Mine seem to help.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master

I have been taking Pravastatin for many years and have not had any problems. There is probably one that will work for you.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

I take Atorvastatin. I ocassionally get leg cramps from it, but not all the time, usually in bed at night. I can get up and drink some Gatorade and they seem to stop. I think it also give me a slight hand tremor. I am running my own self test as I have stopped it for about three weeks now. Going to try some bullseye shooting Friday and see if it has improved. Just from aiming and dry firing I think it will.

Avorstatin caused leg cramps and fatigue Ērestor has worked well lowering cholesterol without side effects wife had to go to Repatha injectable every other week to eliminate the leg cramps and leg pain.Best to get prescription for only a short time until you find out how you tolerate the drug.
    Before you break into my house stand outside and get right with Jesus tell him you're on your way!!

Boolit Master

I have been taking Zocor (simvastatin) for about 10 years with no problems.

Boolit Master
    I've tried two different ones. A few weeks into them, I get the problems. Funny, but the Dr (well, his nurse) doesn't believe me. Time for a new DR.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    I take Rosuvastatin and have never had any bad reactions. It has dramatically dropped my bad cholesterol.
    I could have written this.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Taking generic version of Lipitor (10 mg) no side effects but I do take CoQ 10 just in case.

Pravastatin for 10 years ..did have to cut back one notch from 80 to 40 as it made climbing steps tuff but once back to 40MG good to go
    For you folks who get leg cramps 'BioFreeze" the stuff for joint and muscle pain INSTANTLY stops leg cramps
    The wife could not tolerate statins and went on Repatha but be aware it is high dollar but also be aware that there are programs out there that with the help of your doctor can get it down to $45 every 2 weeks ..it will take diligence and patience but well worth the effort as most drug plans will not participate/list Repatha as anything but tier 4/5 which puts the cost out of reach

Rosuvistatin for a while, but I couldn’t tolerate it. Body aches, and other side effects so bad I had to give it up.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    Rosuvistatin is doing me in.
    I mentioned CoQ 10 to the DR but he said it was a waste of time. Yeah, time for a new DR.

Boolit Master

After about a month on the latest statin 4-5 yrs ago I developed a pain in my left side that got worse and worse. Finally in the mirror I saw huge bruising and felt like muscle was torn from ribs. Pulled up my shirt for the pharmacist and she like to fainted. Dr. said it was the statin affecting muscle tissue. I asked isn’t the heart a muscle? Well, it only affects striated muscle. Not worth the risk or pain to me so I live with high cholesterol as the med is worse. YMMV of course.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Lisinopril?

DG

Boolit Master
    I've been on crestor, lipitor, and maybe another I can't remember, and it was TORTURE! MY cholesterol is currently high, but not horribly so. My good cholesterol is in a good range, but my bad is high, so my doctor wants me on statins, but I'm refusing, because of severe joint pain previously. I'm currently taking red yeast rice at the recommendation of my chiropractor, and I'm waiting for my next physical to see where that gets me. All my other numbers are really good, including B.P., which gets comments like"I wish I had your blood pressure" every time I go in.
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Boolit Master

Generic Lipitor (avorstatin) here...for something like twenty years...medium dosage keeps my 'bad' cholesterol in the 130s without side effects.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Lisinopril?

DG
    Not a statin.

Have been taking Simvastatin since April 2009. Started on 60 mg, reduced to 30 mg after 2-3 years. My cholesterol was near the top end of normal, but because of my blood clotting issues the statin was prescribed to help keeping clots down. Am on rat poison, warfarin, daily, to thin my blood as needed. Have been on arthritis and BP medicines about 40 years. Have had no side affects that I can recognize as such from any of them.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

In my case, the cure is worse than the disease. I have come to the conclusion that it’s not worth the PITA. Everybody dies from something, right?
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    I better trade in the bacon and eggs for oatmeal. my grandfather would say that 2 boilermakers a day wash the cholesterol out of him.