MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Oversize RCBS 32-98-WC

Boolit Master

Oversize RCBS 32-98-WC

I picked up a used RCBS 32-098-WC mould. It had been modified as follows - the sprue plate screw had been broken off, and then drilled out and tapped for a 5/16 x 18 NC bolt with a lock washer. The blocks and cavities were otherwise just fine. The sprue plate would not stay flat, but I substituted a metric spring washer for the lock washer and fixed that. When casting, I found some cavity burrs that prevented release of the bullets, but I deburred the cavities under a magnifying glass, and fixed that.

Here's the problem - the bullets are casting about .317 - .318 diameter. When I size these to .313 for the .32 Long S&W, the crimp groove and top groove are wiped off entirely.
    as I see it, I have two alternatives:
    A) offer it to anyone here who wants it for a large .32 WC bullet for what I have in it, $37 plus shipping (first PM gets it)
    B) send it back to RCBS and see if they will send me another one.

Boolit Grand Master

You shouldn't have any trouble finding someone who wants a larger mould. Usually the problem is getting stuck with a too small mould.
    Aim small, miss small!

26Charlie,
    I have the same mold and it drops bullets at .315/.316" diameter. I have sized them succesfully to .311" diameter to shoot in my .30-30's. To do that, I first lube the bullet in a .315" die, then size them to .311" in a push through Lee sizing die. Since the lube groove(s) are filled they maintain their shape during the reduction process.

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Boolit Grand Master
    My RCBS 32-98-SWC falls out at .315", too. .314" sizing works well in the S&W Model 16-4 and in the Colt Pocket Positive, with the use of a .312" expander spud. For the S&W M&P 32-20 and its .311" throats, I've followed the regimen outlined by W30WCF--lube/size at .314" first, then re-run in a .311" die. I use a factory .309" expander spud on the cases.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I thought about this yesterday, and decided to go ahead today. If any of you with this mold or any other mold in nominal .311 size range that casts way oversize wants to sell the mold, please let me know. I've got a .32 S&W with a .314 groove diameter. Anything up to .316 is fine (I've even looked at 8mm Nambu molds - .319 (Lyman #31950). And if it is heavier than 100 grains, so much the better - I like up to 120 grains. Thanks, Ted
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    Ok - leftiye gets it, and I hope it is useful.