MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is your local radio station this bad?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Yep! I get off work at 11 pm, and if I'm driving my 4Runner, I listen to comedy or Fox news on Sirius. If I'm in my old HHR, then I will turn on Art Bell's replacement, George Noory on Coast to Coast for a few minutes, then usually switch to a country FM station.

I will rarely listen to Noory for more than a few minutes since 95% of his guests are blasphemous kooks that are into numerology, psychic energy, spiritualism, remote viewing, or other such beliefs that focus on the Dark Arts and spiritual matter.

It's been decades, but I seem to recall that Art had more interesting guests that focused more on cryptozoology, alien abductions, Bigfoot, and conspiracy theories.

It's rare that George will have a guest on that is interesting and not clearly insane, which is a sad legacy to Art Bell.
    On Weekends, Coast to Coast has guest hosts. One of them is Jimmy Church. He has topics similar to which Art Bell had. Search for his podcast/internet radio show called, "FADE TO BLACK LIVE with Jimmy Church"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I remember listening to WLS? from Chicago at night in our dairy barn at night. But mostly to the country music from the “50,000 watt blowtorch WBAP” from Broadcast Hill in Ft Worth. They were originally pop music, then country, then news and talk- which they currently are.
    I often listen to a local NPR station that plays music I like- Hendrix followed by Johnny Cash followed by Anita Baker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Local 6-9 show is ok. Don't listen much anymore, though as I listen to podcasts 12hrs a day. Don't like Clay and Buck. Nothing against them but the 2 host format is annoying. One station nearby has Bongino on and I prefer him but I listen to his podcast every morning so don't listen to the show online very often. Hannity is a broken record. Stop for a week or two then tune in and the same thing over and over. No use for him especially after this McCarthy fiasco.

AM isn't the same since Rush 1206-1500. Everywhere in the country you could tune in and I have been everywhere, there he was with a great show every time. Made me tear up when I heard his lovely wife open his show as I knew what was coming. 30yrs everyday and it was like a good friend was gone.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I remember listening to WLS? from Chicago at night in our dairy barn at night. But mostly to the country music from the “50,000 watt blowtorch WBAP” from Broadcast Hill in Ft Worth. They were originally pop music, then country, then news and talk- which they currently are.
    I often listen to a local NPR station that plays music I like- Hendrix followed by Johnny Cash followed by Anita Baker.

Yeah, listened to the "blowtorch of the plains". Also listened to 100,000 watts of Border Radio. WBAP, KFI, KOA, WABC all on skip listened to on my transistor when I was a kid then on the truck radio driving at night before satellite then cell podcasts. When a kid in far northern New England they may as well have been broadcasts from outer space. I remember as a kid when the tv stations we got on rabbit ears from America were outnumbered by ones from Canada and some of those were in French only.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    On Weekends, Coast to Coast has guest hosts. One of them is Jimmy Church. He has topics similar to which Art Bell had. Search for his podcast/internet radio show called, "FADE TO BLACK LIVE with Jimmy Church"
    Not the same since Art moved to the Philippines.
    "West of the Rockies, your on the line"

"From the Wildcard Line...."

Philly had KYW 1060 news radio. I used to listen to that. I recall in the 80s qualifying a new mobile phone cell site in Montgomery, Alabama. I had to drive out into the country and wait for them to call Mr only old brick cell phone to prove the mobile part worked. Sitting there, I tuned in AM 1060, and there was kyw. They used to have the noise of ticker tape stock machines piped into the audio background until the late 80s I think.

Also, our local station for school closings as a kid was WCOJ in Coatesville pa. I think they were licensed for 200w at night and 1000w in day time. In the early mornings, ln order to read the school closure list, the announcer would get up and walk to a different booth to use the 1000-watt transmitter, then walk back to low power booth to continue normal broadcast schedule until the sun came up.

I think kyw is off the AM radio now, but is still found on a sub carrier of another phila HD FM station owned by the same company.
    The frequency used by AM radio bounces off the ionosphere at night. I later used that technique with amateur radio.
    Last I tried WCOJ, it was rebroadsting a religion station.
    Last edited by compass will; 01-07-2023 at 09:35 AM.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    I quit the local stations, I pay the subscription fees for Sirius radio and listen to what I like
    Same here. Pretty much anything you want to listen to. I enjoy the old time radio theater station, and the old country and blues. When you get on the east side of Montana there isn't much choice.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

People in Ct will know Smith and Barber, they were on for years. Then they left for several years and reappeared, and quickly left, again. This showed me the mentality here as the replacement guys have been on for decades and IMO arent a 1000th of SB. Rock FM. As to other radio, I hate it all and never listen,even the English speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post

Texas by God,

Seems we were in the same zone when I moved from the big city to being a country boy. Yep, WLS & WBAP...the good ole' Bill Mack amateur hour. Thank God when 8 Track tape decks came out. They were the 2nd upgrade to any pickup a country boy owned, the first of course being a gun rack in the back window. Talk about the good ole' days. A good ole pickup, gun rack, Zebco 33 & a Nylon 66. Some of the best memories from my youth were spurned in those days. Had it not been for shady characters passing through with a trunk full of 8 Track tapes for sale, I never would have known who Dolomite & Gene Tracey were.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Don't know how many are AM, but there are thousands of online radio stations with this app. I use it when driving cross country to stay connected to my home station, WMAL in DC.

https://radio.garden/visit/new-york-ny/9Yi25umJ
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://www.hensleygibbs.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I remember Harden and Weaver on WMAL during its politically incorrect days. I sure miss the snow day closures for Albino State Teachers College and the announcement that the Rinky Dinky Day School is closed today because the bar tender is sick.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I was probably the first ditto head. Heard him on a Sacramento station before he was syndicated and thought "Wow, someone who thinks like me!"
    There's still good programming on am, but there'll never be another Rush.
    As I travel, I do find a lot of dead air and ads that are run on top of each other. Iirc, dead air used to be a reason to get your license pulled. I guess the fcc isn't as aggressive as they used to be. Some of the stuff that goes on in the 75 meter band is as bad as the cb band used to be, so I guess there's not much enforcement any more.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Quote Originally Posted by tommag View Post
    I was probably the first ditto head. Heard him on a Sacramento station before he was syndicated and thought "Wow, someone who thinks like me!"
    Had that experience myself, driving to a business meeting in Sacto while he was there. Wasn't for a while that he showed up back east.
    Cognitive Dissident

For those that miss Rush Limbaugh, I'll through Dan Bongino in. I think Clay and Buck are okay but Dan Bongino will tell it like it is in a way that is reminiscent to Rush and I get that same feeling of being informed and entertained. He's on in mornings but I catch his pod cast.
    In my area, the stations that have Clay and Buck are loaded with big Pharma's ED commercials and I don't want to hear about men's plumbing 4-6 times an hour. I won't tune to it at home or if people are in the car with me. I think it's a type audience grooming myself. Use money to change a stations audience to a narrow listenership. When their numbers drop a sports station buys them up and conservative talk disappears from that area.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Bongino doesn't have Rush's timbre or cadences. I could listen to Rush reading a phone directory. The current crop would drive me crazy reading Shakespeare.
    Cognitive Dissident

Yeah, I hear you, I just stepped out of a bank in Two Harbors, Minnesota when Catherine announced his passing on the radio.
    Last edited by pmer; 01-12-2023 at 09:39 AM.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

My phone + YouTube premium+ ear buds or my Bluetooth speaker= perfect radio time.
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

I listen to both am and fm. Only problem is the Spanish stations interfere with the English stations. When that happens I turn the radio off. Not interested in Spanish lingo, seems they think they are more deserving of the airways than English speaking stations. It’s just like someone who asks me if I speak spanish at work and I tell them no they automatically start to speak English. Imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill 7 View Post
    Not interested in Spanish lingo,
    I know what ya mean. I have the same problem myself.
    Those South Texans have such a hard accent--- you'd think they had a different word for everything.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tommag View Post
    There's still good programming on am, but there'll never be another Rush.
    As I travel, I do find a lot of dead air and ads that are run on top of each other. Iirc, dead air used to be a reason to get your license pulled. I guess the fcc isn't as aggressive as they used to be. Some of the stuff that goes on in the 75 meter band is as bad as the cb band used to be, so I guess there's not much enforcement any more.
    Great post!

First time I heard Rush was when I got out of the Navy in `92 and got a job delivering flooring supplies. The van they had was tuned into the local AM station and Rush was on when I started it up to deliver some carpet.

Believe it or not, it was the episode in which a guy called in and couldn't afford a subscription to the newsletter, so Rush had a brilliant idea and suggested a bake sale.

Yep. The genesis of Dan's Bake Sale was the very first time I heard Rush. I was hooked!

I used to listed to Buck Sexton's show on the way to work and thought he was great. Then when they announced that he and Clay Travis would replace Rush, I was optimistic.

But, Clay Travis is a lawyer/sports guy that I just don't like, and Buck has lost a lot of his personality and edge since joining the partnership.

There is no replacing Rush, and the new show is not up to snuff. They need to lose Clay Travis and just let Buck run loose with his CIA and law enforcement background. He can carry the weight.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River