WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brakes for equipment trailer not working

Brakes for equipment trailer not working

I just got a new 20 foot tilt bed trailer and having trouble with the brakes not working. I traded a 2016 goose neck trailer for it and the brakes worked good at that point.

Round 7 pin trailer connectors
    Old brake controller with the slider

With the gooseneck I had really good brakes on the trailer.

On the new trailer with the controller set at max it only shows 1.5 to 2.7 volts on its display when it should read about 12 volts. And the brakes don't seem to be grabbing at all.

I do have warranty but the dealer is an hour away so I thought I'd see if there's something I could check at home.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Vendor Sponsor

Check your ground first.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Check your ground first.
    ^^^^this^^^

Most people take it for granted, but the grounding circuit is just as important as the power supply one.

The common 'It grounds through the hitch ball' is a myth.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Sounds like a good tip to verify the ground. I should add the trailer lights do work .
    Last edited by pmer; 10-24-2022 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Lights work though

Boolit Grand Master
    Yep. Check the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    Sounds like a good tip to verify the ground. I should add the trailer lights do work .
    Trailers are full of little tricks.

The brakes might take way more power to operate compared to the lights.
    If the ground isn't good & solid, the lights may work, but not the brakes.
    The brakes may a different wire & their own ground than the lights.
    A separate, good & heavy, solid ground wire from the trailer frame to the truck frame has always worked for me.

Wiring connectors up under the rear of the tow vehicle is another good place to check too.

Another option is call the dealer.
    He might be more than glad to walk you through the common problems rather than doing free work.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 10-24-2022 at 03:59 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Yup.. I've had trailer with good lights and bad breaks..found crummy crush connectors at the brake magnets..coroded.

Lastly..check the mechanical parts of the brakes.. If the shoes are stuck and can't move..magnet won't start the pull. Many are self energizing once the magnet starts the pu..but they gotta move free.

Boolit Master
    I had a new trailer that the brake wiring was messed up from the factory, as a quick check hold a compass next to each wheel wheel and have a helper apply the brakes. The needle will let you know if their working

This won't work for air brakes. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    You need a wind gauge.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    20' tilt with air brakes? Um..ok...

Boolit Grand Master

One issue I've run into, especially on tilt trailers is that the ground doesn't always travel through the entire frame. You may have good ground right at the tongue, but you may not have good continuity through the bolts to the rest of the frame. Honestly it's pretty lame that trailer manufacturers cheap out like this anyway. There's not a lot on trailers, and for what they cost they really should have a negative wire directly to all the components.

On the truck I went through connections just off the 7 blade connector and did find some corrosion. I can't complain about grounds they seem good and or better on the truck side. The ground from the trailer connector to the trailer, a white wire that goes to metal on the front of the trailer is good too.

I fired up the truck and rolled the combo with the trailer break away switch pulled out and activated and that didn't energize the trailer brakes either. the trailers battery box has a test button and that showed "full charge" at the start of the test. I suppose that puts the issue on the trailer.

That gooseneck got too big for my needs and this tilt bed is more versatile as far loading cars or antique pulling tractors or big mowers. The beaver tail was too steep for some of the things I could haul.

Boolit Grand Master

As I said, you can have good ground to the trailer tongue, but it is very possible you do not have continuity to the trailer brakes. Especially on a tilt trailer which has a separate tongue and frame, the only way the ground gets to the back of the trailers is through bolts/pins. Often the connection is poor. If you take an ohm meter, put one end on the trailer tongue metal, then the other to the ground wire to a trailer brake. You should se next to 0 ohms. 2 ohms is fine. 20 ohms might not be.

Vendor Sponsor

On the truck I went through connections just off the 7 blade connector and did find some corrosion. I can't complain about grounds they seem good and or better on the truck side. The ground from the trailer connector to the trailer, a white wire that goes to metal on the front of the trailer is good too.

I fired up the truck and rolled the combo with the trailer break away switch pulled out and activated and that didn't energize the trailer brakes either. the trailers battery box has a test button and that showed "full charge" at the start of the test. I suppose that puts the issue on the trailer.

That gooseneck got too big for my needs and this tilt bed is more versatile as far loading cars or antique pulling tractors or big mowers. The beaver tail was too steep for some of the things I could haul.
    Time to call the bakery! I realize this thread was about seeing if you could find something obvious but looks like everything is checking good on your vehicle so I would call the mfgr and take it back to them and let them troubleshoot it.

I would start FIRST by taking the trailer, DISCONNECTING the plug from the truck, and getting THEM to check their work BEFORE I would let them start on the whole thing otherwise you may end up being billed for them chasing their own mistake(s). Make sure the trailer is as they say it's supposed to be and THEN connect the truck to it and go after the problem.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trailer.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	306047

Here's a picture of a tilt bed for S&Gs. I can see what Mega means about a ground connection to the bed.

Boolit Buddy

Pull a wheel and remove the brake drum. If the trailer has been sitting in a damp environment the drum may be rusted and not letting the magnet grab on to it to force the cam to apply the brakes.

You can check the magnets power with a wrench while someone applies the brake.

Also check the brake drums inner surface where the shoes make contact. Rusted drums will effect braking efficiency until they get cleaned up.
    Last edited by Kylongrifle32; 10-24-2022 at 09:59 PM.

Boolit Master

Ditto both what MSM and KY said. Ground at brakes and shoes. A brand new trailer I bought had the brake electromagnets wirenutted in..poorly..resulting in no brakes on a new trailer. Ps.. Lots of trailer Fab is with pre painted metal that then gets weld touch up paint..cant tell you enough how insulative paint is...

So I had some time to look around the axles and that's where I found some troubles. The rear axle ground wire for the brake was open, it might've been a poor crimp. But the front axle had the brake wire routed under a U bolt and was pinched short to the axle?!
    I pulled on it some and got it free of the U bolt and the brake controller went up to 12 volts like normal.

Boolit Master

So I had some time to look around the axles and that's where I found some troubles. The rear axle ground wire for the brake was open, it might've been a poor crimp. But the front axle had the brake wire routed under a U bolt and was pinched short to the axle?!
    I pulled on it some and got it free of the U bolt and the brake controller went up to 12 volts like normal.

Makes me think I would be giving the entire trailer a good once over if you haven't already.