Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Revolving rifles

Boolit Master

Revolving rifles

I know this is going to be a little strange to see here, but I didn't see any where else where it might be a reasonable fit, Mods move it if you are so inclined. I'm not in any way connected with http://fairfaxfirearmsrepair.com

This guy makes revolving rifles using revolvers as the action adding a stock and forearm and installing a longer barrel.

It looks like really nice workmanship. I never knew he existed but I'm going to take some work to him. It's nice that he isn't but about 25 miles from here.
    Literacy should not be considered optional in computer based communication.

Boolit Master
    I have been lusting after an 8-shot Ruger Redhawk in 357mag that has been given their treatment, but it has been lower on the priority list since that functional niche is already covered by an SKS for me. If you get anything done I would really love to hear about it.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Grand Master
    Very interesting. Never heard of a "gas deflector", but that caught my eye. I have always wondered about the blast of gas and/or bits of debris hitting the support arm. It seems to be resolved.

I enjoy shooting .38's in the three lever action rifles I have.

If you get a gun converted, it would be interesting to see some accuracy reports. I suspect the gun to be sensitive to forearm position on the front rest, and maybe POI shift when fired off-hand. Still an interesting gun.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I believe that cap and ball revolving rifles were common in the Civil War but soon discarded due to the consequences of a chain detonation. I suppose that wouldn't be a problem with cartridges though. Heritage makes a rifle version of the Rough Rider.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Nice!

I have a Uberti Remington revolving carbine (C % B) that I use a 45 Colt conversion in. Uberti also makes them using the 1873 Cattleman frame.action.

You just have to keep yourself from using your hand to support the barrel and away from flash/gas. Remington made a number of them post war but they couldn't compete with the Winchester. Colt also made revolving rifles'

This guy certainly offers a lot of options. Thanks for the link - interesting!

Boolit Grand Master
    Rossi was making a similar gun in 44 Mag and a combo 45 Colt, 410 shotgun, but I believe it has been discontinued. The one I saw being shot was not all that and a bag of chips, but that may have been user error. Kind of neat, but I think I'd rather stick with a lever gun.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Probably just me, but I'm hesitant to lay my hand and arm alongside a cylinder full of shells. Call me superstitious...LOL

If the cylinder gap flash shield works; it and the longer barrel would take a great portion of the discomfort/danger of shooting a shoulder stocked revolver away.
    I still wouldn't want a c&b version- chain fires are scary enough without one's arm in the way.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Rossi was making a similar gun in 44 Mag and a combo 45 Colt, 410 shotgun, but I believe it has been discontinued. The one I saw being shot was not all that and a bag of chips, but that may have been user error. Kind of neat, but I think I'd rather stick with a lever gun.
    The 45 Colt/410 is terrible because of all the horrendous design compromises you have to make to achieve that combination. Think about how far the 45 Colt bullet has to jump before it encounters the forcing cone! It also had really strange rifling, or was smoothbore until it the bullet encounted a rifled choke or something... very weird. I believe Paul Harrell either did a video on one or used one in a video to make a point without having it be the entire topic of the program. There are a number of revolving rifles out there based on SAA designs, but no currently-made DA/SA models that I'm aware of.

I would prefer a properly-shielded one over a lever-gun simply because it retains the brass like a normal revolver does. An 8 to 10 shot 357mag cylinder wouldn't be a problem on a rifle platform, and that's plenty. If Congress passes another assault weapons ban, it might actually be the most effective way to achieve repeating firepower without a semi-automatic mechanism.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master

When I was in the Army I used to take a bunch of westerns with me on guard duty for my off time. I seem to remember one in which the main character carried a revolving rifle. Edge or Steele maybe?

revolving rifles using revolver - BATF rules?
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I seem to recall Bull Harris’ character in El Dorado carried one of the percussion versions.

Years ago while living in the Dakotas a fellow was making a variant of the revolving rifle BUT with a twist! His were either normal; thumb cocked single action OR they could be pumped to cycle! Cute things, made on old model blackhawks. They had a nice look but how practical they would be is something else. Kinda had a cowboy action shooter’s flare to them.

His name began with O; yea, i know thats not much to go on.

Boolit Master
    The Colt Revolving Rifle was used in the Civil War for while,until its many faults became obvious.....Both Remington and S&W made cartridge revolving rifles in the 1870s and 1880s......unfortunately,if you forgot ,a patch of skin was blasted off your arm,and many of the S&Ws were sawed off to make pistols from them.