Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Pedersoli Sharps Quigley .45-70 Front Sight Inserts Needed

Pedersoli Sharps Quigley .45-70 Front Sight Inserts Needed

A Pedersoli 34-inch Sharps "Q Down Under" model falling block Quigley .45-70 in beautiful condition was at our gun show yesterday. Nabbed it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pedersoli Q Down Under 1874 Sharps 34 inch.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	303428

It came fitted with a rear Creedmoor sight.

Name:	Pedersoli Creedmoor Rear sight.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	303429

It has a tunnel front sight that has what appears to be a washer installed with a large-ish hole in it, but no other front sight inserts. (No manual; no box.)

I think I need a set of inserts.

Name:	Davide Pedersoli front sight inserts.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	303430

I can get a full set of inserts and a new front sight from Brownell's for $55.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod54720.aspx

Are there other options I'm not aware of?

Do you guys have a preferred front sight insert?

Boolit Master
    There are optic glass front inserts you can make your own center hole is sized for target at what ever distance 100yds too 1000yds it's a double peep sight what are you going to use this fine rifle for?? Target compitition?? Steel quigly shoots nra sight will list target black diamiters for all distances
    target is for points all others are for hits
    i shoot long distance with a 45/70 roler mine is accurate out past 1000yds 8 out of 10 x's if i do my part
    pm me if you want to talk??

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    There are optic glass front inserts you can make your own center hole is sized for target at what ever distance 100yds too 1000yds it's a double peep sight what are you going to use this fine rifle for?? Target compitition?? Steel quigly shoots nra sight will list target black diamiters for all distances
    target is for points all others are for hits
    i shoot long distance with a 45/70 roler mine is accurate out past 1000yds 8 out of 10 x's if i do my part
    pm me if you want to talk??
    Initially, just target shooting out to 300 yards, cause that's the longest range we have locally.

This is the front sight as is. I believe it's a factory Pedersoli. I guess the inserts drop into the thin slot and are tightened into position with the washer and knurled knob.

Name:	pedersoli front sight crop IMG_2484.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	303435

Name:	Pedersoli front sight crop IMG_2482.jpg 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	303436

You are way ahead of me with the sights you are talking about.

Boolit Master
    Lee shaver has a set that is very fine to fit your sight.

Boolit Grand Master

That dosnt appear to be the same front as my long range model pedersoli. Difference being on mine the globe has a small flat spring that locks the inserts in from the top. The inserts you show are for the style sight mine has on it. The small block top dead center is for the spring to rest on. Look to Distant thunder, or Lee Shaver. Montana vintage arms may also offer some help. Track of the wolf is another that comes to mind.

With out dimensions Im thinking that may be a lyman 17 front sight.

If you have access to a lathe ( even a small hobby machine) a couple pieces of wood dowel or nylon a disk can be turned from thin lexon or clear plexi glass and then drilled to the desired size and counter sunk for the width of the ring you want.

If you desire to shoot true long range I would look into a lower front sight for the rifle to keep sights as low as possible. the rear is hard to tell for sure but appears to be a mid range sight by the length of the staff.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    That’s not the front sight in the picture you posted. I’ve had a lot of experience with that type of sights on a couple of Swedish target rifles. There are all different types of inserts depending on the make of the front sights. Make sure you get the right ones you need. I once bought a similar gun thinking thinking that all the inserts I already had would fit the new gun. Not so! Same gun same age, but different front inserts.
    However, those type of sights are great, once you get them working for you. You want the rear sight with the smallest aperture for the light you have. The real diopter effect is amazing.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberty1776 View Post
    Initially, just target shooting out to 300 yards, cause that's the longest range we have locally.

This is the front sight as is. I believe it's a factory Pedersoli. I guess the inserts drop into the thin slot and are tightened into position with the washer and knurled knob.

Name:	pedersoli front sight crop IMG_2484.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	303435

Name:	Pedersoli front sight crop IMG_2482.jpg 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	303436

You are way ahead of me with the sights you are talking about.
    This is the Pedersoli muzzle loading tunnel front sight.
    I have one on my Pedersoli John Bodine as I broke the original spring retaining clip.