Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Opinions on Lyman 366408 mold

Boolit Buddy

Opinions on Lyman 366408 mold

Would this be suitable for a deer bullet in a 9.3x62? Being a PB bullet what velocity can one expect from it?Or should I get a heavier slug mold?I think Ihave a 1-14 twist? Husqvarna FN 98...........Thanx Harold

As an indication for you I am shooting a PB .375 bullet at 300gr out of my .38-303 at 1670fps. BHN is 10 from memory. I use a heavy card wad under the bullet. Accuracy is OUTSTANDING.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    I also have a Husky in 9.3x57 and while the 366408 is a good boolit you should slug your barrel first. Mine has a dia. of 370 and the above boolit doesn't shoot well in my rifle. I am looking for some thing that will drop a boolit of .373-.374.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Buddy
    I got .366 with a lead slug so I should be OK I guess..........Harold

Boolit Master

I believe it will be fine.

It is a plain-based bullet, so don't get too energetic with it. It shoots very well in my 9.3x74R. I don't believe I have pushed it over 1300 fps. Mine drops as .368". Use a quality lube.

CDD

In Remebrance

250ish grains of lead and that lovely flat point should do the job as long as the velocity is up over 1350 or so. You'll be duplicating, nearly, the old 38-55 and similar calibers. You'll need to actually HUNT the deer as opposed to taking Hail Mary shots from 350+ yards away, but given good shot placement you should bring home the venison. Many, many, many deer have fallen to the old 38-40 from a Winchester 92 in my home area. You'll have far more gun than that to start with.

Boolit Buddy
    This past fall I packed my .54 Renegade with G Mt 1-70" ball barrel and set myself up on trails for close shooting.Shot a meat mulie buck at around 75 yards.Cast ball 230gr before launched and flat as a quarter and 217gr in the skin of the off shoulder.Much more fun than 1/4 mile executions with jacketed fodder................Harold

Boolit Grand Master
    I received some samples of the Lyman #366408 soon after I got my CZ rifle in 9.3 x 62. I ran them kinda gently, about 1350-1400 FPS with 17.0-18.0 grains of 2400, sized @ .367". They shot VERY well for me, under 1" at 50 yards and well under 2" at 100 yards.

Bret's reference to the 9.3s being 38-55 duplicators is an accurate one. I'm running that 270 grain flatpoint we discussed at 1700 FPS or so (22.0 grains of 2400), and it is sort of a "38-55 +P", I suppose. It is one accurate load.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 1894 38-55 and will be loading 375296/265gr GC's now I can have a duplicate BA in 9.3 Thanx Harold

Boolit Master

Any idea of who can supply the 366408.

(holy necrothread Batman...)
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 10x View Post
    Any idea of who can supply the 366408.

(holy necrothread Batman...)
    CPR can work wonders, eh?

As ready-cast bullets, I don't know of a supplier. Most folks here make their own via casting. Accurate Molds, Mountain Molds, and NOE offer a variety of designs both gas-checked and plain-based. I would check the online catalogs of these companies to see what they can make for you. I have moulds from all three makers listed herein, and they all but Lyman moulds to shame in terms of quality and castability. Pricing is pretty close to Lyman-level, too.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    CPR can work wonders, eh?

As ready-cast bullets, I don't know of a supplier. Most folks here make their own via casting. Accurate Molds, Mountain Molds, and NOE offer a variety of designs both gas-checked and plain-based. I would check the online catalogs of these companies to see what they can make for you. I have moulds from all three makers listed herein, and they all but Lyman moulds to shame in terms of quality and castability. Pricing is pretty close to Lyman-level, too.
    I have molds from NOE and Accurate - both make molds that of higher quality than Lyman. As well as less expensive and a better warrantee.
    Lyman warrantee is hit and miss, sometimes great, sometimes disappointing.
    I am looking for a loverin style 220 grain in 0.367 or 0.368"

Banned
    Pioneer2,

At 1300-1400FPS that boolit should be a FINE WT killer. = Truth is that WT just aren't that hard to kill & most any boolit over 150 grains at that speed should be fine IF it fits your rifle's bore properly.

The old school .32-40 killed THOUSANDS of WT and that boolit at .32-40 speed should work well

yours, tex

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    Pioneer2,

At 1300-1400FPS that boolit should be a FINE WT killer. = Truth is that WT just aren't that hard to kill & most any boolit over 150 grains at that speed should be fine IF it fits your rifle's bore properly.

The old school .32-40 killed THOUSANDS of WT and that boolit at .32-40 speed should work well

yours, tex

I believe that a 285 grain cast bullet from a 9.3x57 at 1500 fps would be suitable for almost any game in North America.
    I have harvested a number of Mule deer with the 314299 in a 303 1910 Ross. Velocity about 1450 fps. One shot, flop, no step kills.

A 0.366" bullet should preform the same or maybe better.

Banned
    10X,

ImVho, you are 100% CORRECT,

My CB "hunting load" for my Remington Model 760 (remodeled by JES) from .30-06 to 9.3x62mm is a 285 grain GCCB at about 1800FPS & I would not fear to try to take ANY animal in the Western Hemisphere with that CB load.
    (I do NOT own a 9.3x57mm but KNOW that that round is WELL THOUGHT OF in Northern Europe for caribou & moose hunting. - A skilled hunter in West Germany, whom I knew very well when I was stationed there, used his "sporterized" Kar98 in 9.3x57mm with great success in his hunting, including a 1A Capital Red Deer & many wild boar with it.)

yours, tex

Boolit Master

Is there enough interest to get a group buy from NOE on this mold?

Resrecting an necro thread, sometimes it has to be done.

Boolit Bub
    I have several 9.3 guns and would love to find a mold for it.
    Visit us at The C+R Gun Collectors Forums

[http://p090.ezboard.com/bcollectorguns35625

Boolit Master
    Order what you want from Accurate Molds.