Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got to inspect a new Ruglin. Not impressed.

Boolit Master

Got to inspect a new Ruglin. Not impressed.

Stopped by the LGS and they happened to have one of the new Ruger/Marlin 1895s on the shelf.

Picked it up and immediately noticed the awful metal to wood fit...

Attachment 296352

Attachment 296353

Then I noticed that one of the pins looked odd and there was an issue with the hole in the receiver...

Attachment 296354

On the plus side, the receiver was highly polished and the rifle shouldered well. It was priced a bit lower than what I've seen online. Could have bought it and flipped it for a couple of hundred...

Attachment 296355

Attachment 296356

Overall, a bit nicer than the Remlins I've seen, but still has some bugs to work out.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Buddy
    Did you get to work the action? Any feedback?

Here is a pretty good review of the new Ruger/Marlin.
    https://1895gunner.com/bulletpoints/...points-30.html

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Those should be quality control issues. They should have been inspected and rejected if Ruger wants to build a good reputation and not only make all they can.

Looks like pretty typical wood to metal fit for new guns these days.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    Looks like pretty typical wood to metal fit for new guns these days.
    You mean Plastic to metal fit. The ability to inject mold plastic to tight tolerances is pretty common the last 10 or more years. That "Fit" is pretty much "As Designed", not "Bad Craftsmanship".
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy

Shiloh wood to metal fit. A different class altogether!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0468.jpg   IMG_0465.jpg  
    Scrounging for pb...

USMC 0351

Boolit Grand Master

I don't see anything wrong with that at all. I don't know anyone doing better stocks than that for under $3000. I'm also not convinced that "pin" is a mistake. Is that not the cross bolt safety?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TjB101 View Post
    Did you get to work the action? Any feedback?
    You can see in the photo that the LGS zip ties the action shut and trigger locks all rifles. No way to see how anything feels or works.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with that at all. I don't know anyone doing better stocks than that for under $3000. I'm also not convinced that "pin" is a mistake. Is that not the cross bolt safety?
    Virtually every Henry on the rack had much better wood to metal fit. The wood was sticking up nearly an 1/8" and razor sharp. It was bad.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Virtually every Henry on the rack had much better wood to metal fit. The wood was sticking up nearly an 1/8" and razor sharp. It was bad.
    Ha wouldn't that be ironic, you get it, fix the wood to fit better, the gun suddenly has to go back to Ruger for a different issue, you get the gun back and VOILA! They "replaced" the modified stock with <drum roll> you guessed it! An exact duplicate stock complete with the horrible mismatch you sanded down from the first one!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Is that not the cross bolt safety?
    Yes, it is the safety.
    I'm not sure when they were put on, but my CB was bought in 2002 has it like that one.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    If its not in 357 I dont want it. Thats what I TOLD Ruger.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Ha wouldn't that be ironic, you get it, fix the wood to fit better, the gun suddenly has to go back to Ruger for a different issue, you get the gun back and VOILA! They "replaced" the modified stock with <drum roll> you guessed it! An exact duplicate stock complete with the horrible mismatch you sanded down from the first one!
    That's the lesson I've learned with Ruger . So I don't buy them anymore , got tired of having to fix quality control .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Buddy
    I have a mark II. That’s the only ruger under my roof. I’d consider a 1894 ruglin once they hit the market if it matches the quality that made jms desirable. If not I’ll happily pay the premium jms bring if I can’t live without one. I don’t care to patronize mediocrity.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    It's hard to tell with pictures. That's too bad to hear. Henry has been unreal how much value you get out of them, so Ruger had a tall order. Unfortunately from what you have said, nobody in their right mind would ever spend $1200 on this Ruger, over a $800 Henry, which are amazing guns. You would sure think Ruger would have had every one of these new Marlins hand inspected.

Appears they have lived up to everything I expect from Ruger the past 25 years,not much.

Boolit Master

I have been disappointed by almost all the new guns I have looked at in the last few years. I find the workmanship poor across the board compared to that seen in older guns.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Hmm. I wish Ruger the best, but unless they bring back the 1895CBA my .45-70 is going to be a Henry H024.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    I have been disappointed by almost all the new guns I have looked at in the last few years. I find the workmanship poor across the board compared to that seen in older guns.
    Amen Brother.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios