Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Remington rolling block

Boolit Master

Remington rolling block

Just curious — if I were to buy something like this and want to have it rebarreled/stocked in 38-55 for my wife, where are there any gunsmiths that could do this and ballpark cost. It’s really rough…..

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/923795632

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master
    I'd keep looking for another rifle that thing has been built from spare parts. Its a #1 action with #5 wood on it and something looks off about the hammer and breach block.

Seems like a really good price for a RB. Considering their age it isn't in that bad of condition. Were I not an honorable man, I would say "Thank You" and buy it. But, with 8 days to go on the auction I doubt if the price will remain that favorable. I'd buy the missing nose cap, clean it up, and use it as-is. The .43 Spanish is a fun cartridge to reload and shoot.

But, I sort of have to wonder about it being a possible choice for your wife, no matter what it would be re-barreled to. They're sort of hard to cock for some ladies, and no repeat shot. Maybe unimportant if for range use, but not so good for hunting.

DG

Boolit Master
    I've had that one on my watch list since it was first listed. I'm pretty sure it won't be anywhere near 149 when it closes. I agree with Hawkeye in that it is probably a mismatch of parts. But, you and I aren't looking for a collectable quality gun and I think it would be fine for either of us.

My limited experience with RB's however tells me that unless you can do a great deal of the work yourself, tuning one of these into a rebarreld and restocked sporter is costly and often times is cheaper to buy one that has already been converted or a commercial one such as a Pedersoli. But I like to tinker with them.

Boolit Master

Thanks for all the answers guys!

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    Barrel over $400 from Green Mountain
    Has to have large enough dim for Rolling Block action
    Gunsmith to fit and chamber $350
    new stock $250
    Fit and finish stock $300
    Polish and blue$250
    Sights
    New extractor
    New buttplate
    It adds up and gets expensive
    Plus the rifle and shipping and taxes

Boolit Bub
    I'd suggest maybe contacting Bobbie Hoyt about a barrel. He makes his own, so no problem getting something that works perfectly. Extractor will need to be reworked, since the 38-55 rim is much smaller than the .43 Spanish.
    It would be hard to go wrong with Treebone Carving wood. Figure about 4 bills for the wood, something similar for the barrel/extractor work.
    If you are going to make it into a nice sporter, learn to drawfile and polish, then detail the action before the rebarrel. I'd just rust blue it, but rust browning has a nice vintage look to it as well, and you don't have to boil after each coat. Just an idea.

https://simpsonltd.com/search-result...=Rolling+block

These folks always have a decent number of rolling blocks to choose from. Might even find something suitable as is?

Boolit Master
    I agree with Alasgun, great place to look. The Swedish "Sporters" in 8x58Rd are nice lightweight rolling blocks. Factory ammo and brass are difficult if not impossible to find and 8x58Rd dies are expensive, but you don't need any of that to load ammo for it. Loads of info on the web about the 8mm round.

The rifle prices have gone up in the last year, like everything else, and CC fees and taxes have been added but I think you could still get a decent shooter for $500 or so TYD. A bit of advice however, when the salesman has the rifle in hand ask a lot of questions, does it function as it should? extractor present? how's the bore? etc. I don't think the salesmen are the ones who write the info on the web. One last piece of advice, if you see something on their site that you think you like, don't wait as the reasonably priced better ones go quickly.

Boolit Mold
    I would either contact Crossnos or DZ arms. I have had great work done by both. Crossnos are maybe a bit more roller friendly. They have one of mine now doing a trigger job on it. As stated above it's going to be expensive but you already know that i'm sure. Make sure whether it's a cast frame or milled steel. the cast ones should only be used for black powder. Bob