Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Montana heritage firearm season

Montana heritage firearm season

This is new this year, first statewide muzzleloader only season ever in Montana for deer and elk. Flint, cap, match or wheellock only, got to have a side hammer ignition, caps must be percussion caps or musket caps only, no in line, no shotgun caps, breech loading or optical sights. round or conical lead projectile only, no other projectile material allowed except round ball may be cloth patched. Loose measured black or black substitute powder only, no pellets and no paper or other cartridges.
    A lot of online out of state whining about unable to come and use their inline, saboted, copper jacketed, 3 pellet, 209 primer rifle with variable power scope but the locals around here are having a blast. Blasted one myself, a big dry doe whitetail. Happy for the blessing of the meat and to be outdoors with a rifle in my hand.

Boolit Master

I like it , traditional hunting , congratulations on your deer .

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning and Congratulations!
    That is how most states started out. Makes ya wonder why it took so long to finally wake up.
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    Several years ago it was called Primitive Hunting. Pretty much the same rules as listed above.

Good job Montana
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Agreed ! Inlines and crossbows have really ruined the special season hunts.

I'd like it if Texas had a season like that.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Congratulations on your successful hunt and the dawning of a new era of traditional Muzzleloading Hunting. Some day I would enjoy joining your ranks with one of my hammer percussion rifles. What a treat that must be.

Boolit Man
    Good for Montana! I will admit that I used to use my Knight during our regular firearms season back when we were required to use shotguns, handguns, muzzle loaders. Now that we are allowed to use rifles I haven't touched the Knight. When muzzle loader season rolls around my Lyman Great Plains is the only one that gets the call. Those patched 50 cal round balls really get the job done. And if you really want to know, archery season I use a recurve or longbow only. I have even successfully used them during the regular gun season.

Boolit Buddy
    My son has an inline. Reason was he did not think he could hit anything with my original style smoke poles. After the last day a few years ago I let him shoot empty my cap gun. He could hardly believe it he hit the broken tree limb he was aiming at at about 100 yards. I shot an eight point WT at just over 200 yards with it a few years ago. You are not unarmed with a old style smoke pole. I wish Iowa would go back to triditional ML only.
    Steve

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Good morning and Congratulations!
    That is how most states started out. Makes ya wonder why it took so long to finally wake up.
    the hunting seasons are only considered a way to eliminate deer herds and reduce car/deer accidents. Nothing more. IN michigan i can do the muzzle laoder season for the second year in a row with any CENTER FIRE CARTRIDGE RIFLE..

Boolit Master
    Bunk got it 100%. Case in point in my area of Ohio the herd was severely affected by a bacterial infection 3 years ago. Estimate was a large percentage of deer died. Anecdotal reports state that 50% less deer are seen year round. Since then we have had no changes in bag limits at all. The seasons are set to reduce deer population to help the car insurance and farming industries. It has little to do with the natural resources or the hunters.
    Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Banned
    and looking at my latest issue of the state dnr run news paper.... they incorrectly lengthened the muzzle loader season by 5 days on their front page updates.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    I support all legal means of harvesting deer. United we stand, divided we fall.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    A muzzleloader season was brought up around twenty years ago. The ones pushing it were all inline shooters. The traditional shooters in the state came out in force to testify against it. I'm hoping this new season works out well. There was a real scramble of people looking to buy guns here. Then they had no clue about how to shoot them.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

As it should be Montana.

Boolit Master
    Good on you, Montana! I wish we had it here in Washington. Of course, I never did consider a side lock with a PRB a handicap.

Boolit Grand Master
    sounds like that is the way it should be
    they ought to have a archery season with only bows and arrows only, no crossbows
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    I'd like to see more muzzleloader seasons here in Wyoming. Every survey the Game and fish sends me I always write it in the comment section.......still nothing of course.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwbolts View Post
    I support all legal means of harvesting deer. United we stand, divided we fall.
    I agree 100% with your sentiment. But if Montana finally designates a portion of the season to traditional muzzleloaders that was never set aside for any other firearm I think that is swell, too, though it may make any archers upset if it hones in on any part of their season. Always a trade off.