RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Softening the Nose

Boolit Master

Softening the Nose

I've studied Bruce B's nose softening technique, but have not used it to date. Scanning through other pages I come across this from Paco Kelly,
    "Here’s a trick I write about often...to get soft nose and hard body cast bullets, cast them hard and hot, frosty bullets are better no matter what the experts say... drop them from the mold into water to temper....then place your bullets standing in water to their shoulder just above the top crimp groove, so the nose is exposed....take a butane torch and run it over the noses sticking out of the water...this detempers just the noses, so you in effect have a soft nose-hard body, cast bullet. It takes a little practice...but as soon as you see the bullet noses change color at all, pull the flame...or the nose will slump over...it doesn’t take much flame time, especially on small caliber bullets. Cast bullets made this way will resist fouling but will expand in any size animal....from rabbits on up."

From all my years of toying around with lead this is the first time I've seen this described. If this is good then I can 'anneal' so to speak, the noses of certain round nose boolits to achieve the mushroom effect. Will need to try it out with the proper medium before using that on game, though.
    Anyone else ever utilize this technique with good success?

Banned
    In Corbins swaging instructions he references a technique of swaging in a plastic ball just under the nose of the bullet. But you need to swage that in. Something that I found with swaging lead is that you can run a hollow point pin in then re swage it shut...you will end up with a round nose with a hollow pocket in the nose. That ought to expand.

Boolit Buddy
    Also interested in the answers to this.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a lot of work for little benefit.

At one time Lyman offered a dual mold, one mold cast the nose, and the other cast the body. You chose your alloys, poured your casts and glued them together. Also, a lot of work.

Depending on the bullet mold, you can drop a soft, round ball in the nose, close the sprue and pour your alloy. Again a lot of work.

How about paper patching? More work.

Maybe try what the ODG used to do. Some would alter the alloy under they got the expansion they wanted. They kept notes so it was repeatable. Some work but a lot of fun

Me? I hunt with a caliber appropriate to the game and cast hard for through and through penetration. I also don’t use anything oess than 40 caliber for big game. Pre-expanded!

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Grand Master
    I pretty much gave up deer hunting shortly after I tried the Bruceb softnose casting method, (knee, hip, and back issues).

With that said, it isn't really that hard to do. It is kind of nerve racking to purposely get your mold that hot the first time, but I couldn't find any damage to my molds that I tried it with.

What I will recommend is to use a fairly fresh, i.e. non-oxidized, piece of pure lead for the soft nose. Any plumber knows you need a clean joint for a successful solder job. The first time I tried it I used some very old swaged round balls, they made a good looking boolit, but a few days later the nose popped off.

Poor solder job.

Next time I actually cleaned the balls first, and they are still stuck tight years later.

For actual hunting of deer, I think twenty rounds should be sufficient for a normal hunter (1-3 deer per year) for a few years.

Robert

Its easy to do. I use it for some hunting bullets in 30 cal with 50/50/2% alloy. Water drop them, then anneal the nose. Seems to work great though I've only shot a couple deer with them

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the input, gentlemen. I have an old 35 Whelen from a sporterized Mauser action that won't feed a flat nose bullet, period. And the RN mold I have doesn't chamber cleanly in it after the first round is fed from the magazine. The old Hornaday 250 RN feeds well, thanks to the copper jacket, but those are no longer being produced and I want to use this a a cast rifle, anyway. My though is that if a boolit with a sharper nose were employed with a soft nose for expansion then this rifle could shine in all its glory, again. That or use the Hornady 250 SP, which are quite accurate. That would defeat the purpose of casting for this rifle, though. You get it.

StrawHat, I've paper patched, powder coated, have read up on gluing to two halves together decades ago (not interested), have measured the alloys, etc..., part of the fun in this casting world is to learn new tricks and see how well they work. Running a torch over the tips of a number of boolits doesn't seem that more involved than annealing brass. It's worth the effort to find out how the end product comes out. And, yes, I normally hunt with very large caliber rifles, muzzleloaders or slug guns. Again, something new to explore and the ability to utilize an old rifle in the field keeps the juices flowing. I'm up for it.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Reloader28. I'll have to give it a try next time I throw some 35 caliber boolits.

MK42Gunner, your concern for your mold with the BruceB method has caused me to hesitate, also. With your encouragement I will give that a go, as well. Good advice about precleaning the soft lead. I have swagged 32 caliber muzzleloader balls that would be perfect, though they will need the oxidization removed, as you suggest.
    Last edited by ChristopherO; 01-04-2021 at 01:50 PM.

Boolit Master

Have no fears about heating your mould to the melting point of lead. It'll be fine. I've made quite a number of these softpoints over the last few years, other than being time consuming, there's been no problems encountered. As mentioned above, you'll only need ten rounds or so, and they fly to the same POI, so practice with regular cast.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master
    I have made a few but never actually used them for hunting
    I made a small dipper for pure lead
    just enough to make my tip then I filled the rest of
    cavity with the harder lead
    I found that a hot mold worked best
    also I did have parting lines and some of the tips fell off but some remained to this day
    lately if I want that type of boolit action I employ hollow points with more malleable alloy
    and powder coat

now that I think of it I do beieve that if I were to pc the soft nosed
    boolits it may actually hold them together acting some what like a
    mechanical bond
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    i melt 40-1 in the nose, stir surface of it with piece of warm wire a few seconds before it freezes, freeze over, then fill with base material, freeze over, then set bottom of mold in pot until sprue melts, set flat on bench till solid again.

maybe slow but making 10 hunting bullets speed is the last thing on my priority list. methods pouring liquid in a liquid or hand heating a nose id spend more time worrying about if its perfect than just going the slow way.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post
    i melt 40-1 in the nose, stir surface of it with piece of warm wire a few seconds before it freezes, freeze over, then fill with base material, freeze over, then set bottom of mold in pot until sprue melts, set flat on bench till solid again.

maybe slow but making 10 hunting bullets speed is the last thing on my priority list. methods pouring liquid in a liquid or hand heating a nose id spend more time worrying about if its perfect than just going the slow way.
    This is the method BruceB developed all those years ago (may he rest in peace). He used pure lead for the nose, as do I, but nothing wrong with 40:1. If done this way you get a perfect solder joint of nose/body every time!
    Last edited by centershot; 01-04-2021 at 04:39 PM. Reason: spelling
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Buddy
    The guy's in one of our air rifle forums cast as a hollow point and while it's still hot drop a airsoft bb in the nose works great for expansion I know this isn't the same as what your talking about just thought I'd throw in another option.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Iv'e done it in the past. Never really saw any difference in killing effectiveness.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    All excellent information that I appreciate, fellow Casters. For any other rifle I could HP or FP. For this chamber I have to go with a finer point, thus the flame treating the tips or the BruceB method sounds best for a box full of hunting projectiles. I am wondering if an XCB style with a soft tip would chamber reliably and mushroom appropriately in this old sporter, and think it just might. If anything, should I find out it won't be best for my intended purposes that is still an excellent target boolit design.

Boolit Master
    A week ago I did some terminal ballistics tests on two boolits, a 189 gr 358 WFPB at a muzzle velocity of 1350 fps and a 128 gr semi point plain base with a small me plat also at 1350 fps. Both boolits are from current NOE molds. The expansion of both into damp but not soaked phone books was to double for both (.6" for the 270 and .72 for the 358). Weight retention was well over 90% to near 100% for both. In either case, a hollow point couldn't do much better. My alloy is 65-70% pure lead and 30-35% hard, chilled birdshot with only a tiny bit of tin added (less than 1%). All boolits were water dropped.
    Sadly, I couldn't do a valid penetration measurement due to problems that day but results on expansion and weight retention were interesting.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    To much screwing around imo. If you want expansion use HP cast boolits.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherO View Post
    I've studied Bruce B's nose softening technique, but have not used it to date. Scanning through other pages I come across this from Paco Kelly,
    "Here’s a trick I write about often...to get soft nose and hard body cast bullets, cast them hard and hot, frosty bullets are better no matter what the experts say... drop them from the mold into water to temper....then place your bullets standing in water to their shoulder just above the top crimp groove, so the nose is exposed....take a butane torch and run it over the noses sticking out of the water...this detempers just the noses, so you in effect have a soft nose-hard body, cast bullet. It takes a little practice...but as soon as you see the bullet noses change color at all, pull the flame...or the nose will slump over...it doesn’t take much flame time, especially on small caliber bullets. Cast bullets made this way will resist fouling but will expand in any size animal....from rabbits on up."

From all my years of toying around with lead this is the first time I've seen this described. If this is good then I can 'anneal' so to speak, the noses of certain round nose boolits to achieve the mushroom effect. Will need to try it out with the proper medium before using that on game, though.
    Anyone else ever utilize this technique with good success?
    Greetings; These observations from a hobby Blacksmith: His use of "temper" should be "quench", which makes them hard; his use of "detempers" describes "annealing" to soften. I like this process, it's simple, uncomplicated, no special equipment. I tried it once w/o the water & it seemed to pass the "hammer smack" test, comparing results to "dead lead" & my quenched pills. Thanks for sharing.
    Been loading 6.5 CM for ELD, learning to load Mosin Nagant & .308/7.62x51
    Caster & CWW / Lead miner.
    Mountain Mold 45-70-405, 80% Meplat, sized .461" dia. for Marlin 1895GS
    Lyman mold #429421 "Elmer Keith" style 255gr, Dbl Cavity; [for .44 Mag, S&W 629, Alox lubed]
    Lyman #356402, 9mm, Sngl Cavity [for a friend]
    LEE #90282, 12ga Drive Key, 7/8oz Slug [for: Son's 3-Gun]
    LEE #90349, 452-255RF, 6 Cavity [for 45 Colt & 45 ACP; Alox lubed]
    LEE #90697, 453-200RF, ditto

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    To much screwing around imo. If you want expansion use HP cast boolits.
    TB, If I could I would, but my description above shares that this rifle won't chamber a FN nor a HP. I've enjoyed reading of you "screwing around" quite a bit over the past few years with different alloys and boolit types to find what you want, and this is my journey to do the same. If it weren't fun then we would all just buy jacketed bullets and be done with it.

Boolit Grand Master

LFN cast of 50-50 (range scrap-ww) takes are of all our hunting needs. But we hunt river bottoms so 33 yards is till our longest shot on a corn cruncher.
    And having used PC (tumble coat) on range scrap LFN I think we may be using those at 1800 fps until the worms can outrun us.
    I still slice more bean eaters with a bow than any other method..

Hand guns get LFN range scrap Heavy slugs pushed to 850-1000 fps.
    Last edited by missionary5155; 01-06-2021 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Added
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.