RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MCD ProductsTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything

Thread: 45-70 405 grain mold

Boolit Mold

45-70 405 grain mold

Hi all, new to this site and casting in general.
    Been shooting a 45-70 for a while, it seems to like 405 grain bullets, i've been using some HSM's that I picked up a while ago, but I'm down to about 150 left so I figured it'd be a good time to start casting.
    Question is, is it normally this difficult to find molds? I've been searching for a few days, and I can't find anything at all. I wanted to start out with something a bit less expensive (was looking at the Lee molds) and then, depending on how it works out, move to a nicer mold, but I can't find one at all.
    Any input would be appreciated!

Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the site, lkwoolsey. You'll find a lot of good information here, along with some really helpful people.

In answer to your question, there has been a drought of ammunition, reloading components, and associated equipment since March, 2020, when everyone started buying up anything they could find. Add into that, approximately 7,000,000 new gun owners, some of which have found themselves unable to buy ammunition, so they're also looking at reloading as an alternative.

You said you wanted to start with some less expensive equipment, but in my experience the best 405 gr. .45-70 mold I own is the RCBS 405. It cost a little more, but it will last longer than you will, if properly taken care of. I own about half a dozen molds for the .45-70, but that RCBS is head and shoulders above the rest in my guns. It is a gas check design, though, so keep that in mind.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

If you can find the Lee I highly recommend it. Mine drops right at .478 at 400 grains with my alloy. You can back order one on Midway for $22.
    And to answer your question if it is usually this hard to find molds. The answer is no it usually isn’t but we are in some unreal, screwed up times.

The range of suitable molds is endless and without knowing what rifle you have, recommending a mold is difficult! My favourite is a 420gn Hensley & Gibbs (RHS of the pic) that casts 0.460".

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks to everyone who responded. I have a Henry 45-70, seems to like 405 grain (store bought cast) so far. I've been running them with imr4198. I haven't really experimented too much though. I think their sitting right around 1500fps, too fast? Thanks again for your input!

Boolit Buddy

45-70 405 grain mold

I enjoy range shooting with my Henry X 45-70 ... in order to stretch my lead supply I’ve been casting the Lee 350gr and loading it up with a multitude of powders ... Reddot, Bullseye, Unique, 2400, 3031, 4198. Bullseye has been a stellar load with ~11.5gr ... very soft. You can also download 3031 and 4198 to trapdoor levels but still have a decent thumper.

Boolit Master
    ive done the same to save lead and my shoulder

Banned
    Welcome to Castboolits lkwoolsey,

Lee molds can/will last a long time IF you treat them right/don't abuse them.

powders I've used for the 405 grn 45/70 so far I'm liking 2400 best
    TB
    UNIQUE
    VARGET
    Red Dot

Boolit Buddy
    Buy the rcbs 405 grain mold. $pend once, cry once.
    If there ever was a problem with this mold, it may be that it is only single cavity, and if you are only pushing 1400 to 1500 fps, you don't really need a gas check, and those are also hard to find at the moment.
    how about a custom mold without a gas check, a rcbs copy maybe?

Boolit Buddy
    It is normally very easy to get molds.

Boolit Grand Master
    buying a good mold from the git go is going to save you alot
    of headaches
    Lee has great products and use quite a few of them
    if you can't find what you want from Lee check out
    Tom @ Accurate Molds he will make you whatever you want
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Lee molds are great for starting out, but with this current situation, if you can’t find any for sale, you should consider buying what is available. That way you can get started. Who knows how long this dry spell will last?

Have you tried posting in the want to buy section here? You might get lucky.