Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: simple swaging

Banned

simple swaging

does anyone here do the simple swaging. i swage 50 cal bullets to be paperpatched and also swage ,451 400 grain bullets for sabots in a 1/28 twist muzzleloader. i know its not fancy without jackets and all, just squeezed lead but they sure do work well. anyone else do simple swaging as i do?

Boolit Buddy
    Hello, as an airguner I´m limited to "simple swaging", just starting to make my own slugs and it would be great to learn from your experience

Boolit Master
    I swag cast boolits to reform them to a different shape and to uniform them with very crisp bases. I lube them first to maintain lube grooves.

Boolit Buddy
    I swage hollow base hollow point 50 CAL muzzle loader bullets and pure lead handgun bullets for 38 special, 44 special and 45 auto.

Banned
    their are a few of us out here, thanks

Boolit Master

I swage undersize bullets to a larger size using a sizing die, a bolt, a couple nuts and arbor press. I also use the same set up to increase the meplat of pointy bullets for use in a tubular magazine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200908_191747_copy_498x1025.jpg   20200908_192810_copy_712x1128.jpg   20200908_191728_copy_322x290.jpg  

I used a slightly different process using a desktop drill press. A hole drilled in an inch thick chunk of HDPE. Then reversed the drill in the chuck. If you swing the table so that the drill is over a solid part, drop a bullet in, then apply pressure. You'll have to push the bullet out either by swinging the table so the drill is over a hole or a punch.

It took .312 round nose bullets, bumped them up to over .322, and left a perfect large flat meplat for my Win 94 tube feed lever rifle. Ran the rounds back through a .314 sizer then a .311 to get them back to shootable diameter.

I've been tempted to try it on a few of the little lee 90 gr round nose for my .32sw longs.

I did add a piece of 3/4" pvc to the arm to give me more leverage/pressure. It also would go back up and hit the wall so I did not have to run it the full length up & Down every time.

That particular desktop press has a broken belt, and a bent spindle. Tends to not drill straight holes. But works fine for flat pointing.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    In March of 2018, I posted about my first attempt at reshaping 358 round nose that were dropping undersized and increased the diameter and reshaped the nose. These turned out to be pretty good IHMSA bullets for my DW 357 Max revolver.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...73#post4309073

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...11#post4314111

Updates on my use of "forming" included post 22, 30, 32, 36, 39, 47 of:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Swaged-boolits!

In the 350 Legend and Cast Boolits thread, I talked about it quite a bit. Photos of my forming set up are at post 324 of

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...23#post4814323

My latest effort turns the Lee 158 round nose into a fat nose SWC (looks almost like a WFN) for 38 special loads.
    Last edited by P Flados; 10-24-2020 at 10:36 PM.

Boolit Master
    I picked up a Swag-o-Matic with several die sets and do a lot of reshaping cast boolits into different sizes and shapes. I also have a HF mini lathe and dies are easy to make for the swag-o-matic in about any size I want.

Boolit Master
    GhostHawk, thanks for the tip regarding using an old drill press. Have an old one sitting in the garage that no longer fulfils it's original purpose. Will have to take the spindle out and cut then machine the Taper where the drill chuck belongs. Since Louisiana is once again within the cone of uncertantity Will give me something when all this is over. Frank

If you use a drill press as an arbor press you may want to brace the table.
    With enough pressure it is pretty easy to snap the table off.