Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 90 of 363 FirstFirst ... 408081828384858687888990919293949596979899100140190 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,800 of 7253

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Quote Originally Posted by r4ndy View Post
    Is anyone using the feeder with a Dillon 750? Just upgraded from a Lee Pro 1000. I got the press setup and put the drop tube on and when the powder bar activated it rammed into the drop tube and split it in half

I have the feeder in position 4 and even if I move it to position 3 it looks like it is going to ram it.
    I recall Double Alpha or someone posted a issue with bullet feeders and the 750, I think it was a easy fix if I recall. You might want to google it and see.

Tyler, would it be too much of an issue to maybe label the plates on the bottom so one could keep them in order? Just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by lablover View Post
    Tyler, would it be too much of an issue to maybe label the plates on the bottom so one could keep them in order? Just a thought
    I have considered it, but its a bunch of work so I haven't gotten to it yet. At some point I will.

Boolit Bub
    I recall Double Alpha or someone posted a issue with bullet feeders and the 750, I think it was a easy fix if I recall. You might want to google it and see.

Thanks. looks like DAA has a shorter powder bar, that would work for 9, but not for 223. I will see if I can get it to clear with the original bar in station 3. If not, I will take some pictures and measurements and hope someone could make a drop tube with a bit of an angle to clear the bar.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    Just posted it. The ridge is moved in .5mm. running the collator without too much angle might just be the ticket to get those noses to drop.
    Printing it out now. I will let you know how it does.

Quote Originally Posted by j_dude77 View Post
    Printing it out now. I will let you know how it does.
    I just did the math, and based on what you said earlier there is only a 1.13mm difference between the nose and the base radius. That is a very tight margin.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by lesterktm View Post
    Are the designs for these available to download somewhere? Thanks
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...y0qvUSP9B4MwvV

Boolit Buddy

I just did the math, and based on what you said earlier there is only a 1.13mm difference between the nose and the base radius. That is a very tight margin.
    Yeah. I might just have to file a notch just enough to get the nose to start. All 3 that I cast for .357 .44 and .45 are like that. I don't mind printing off more flipper plates, figured I would have to anyway.

Yeah. I might just have to file a notch just enough to get the nose to start. All 3 that I cast for .357 .44 and .45 are like that. I don't mind printing off more flipper plates, figured I would have to anyway.
    That's not a bad idea. On thing I am considering is to just create 10 slide plates that go from smallest to largest incremented by 1mm each. Then anyone can match a slide to any collator plate they create. Just not sure how you would determine which slide would match your collator plate, other then trial and error.

Boolit Buddy

That's not a bad idea. On thing I am considering is to just create 10 slide plates that go from smallest to largest incremented by 1mm each. Then anyone can match a slide to any collator plate they create. Just not sure how you would determine which slide would match your collator plate, other then trial and error.
    I think that is what people were doing with ammomike's. Thingiverse is full of plates.

that's a good idea. OR, you could do like this guy did and make one plate that is adjustable the entire range. When I did Ammo Mikes design last year I printed this guys bullet slider plate and it was brilliant. Maybe take a look at what he did and adjust accordingly . You might have to download his .stl to really see how it works. see link below.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3207921

that's a good idea. OR, you could do like this guy did and make one plate that is adjustable the entire range. When I did Ammo Mikes design last year I printed this guys bullet slider plate and it was brilliant. Maybe take a look at what he did and adjust accordingly . You might have to download his .stl to really see how it works. see link below.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3207921
    My road on this journey started with the mods version. I tried that adjustable plate and did not have much luck with it. I found the little c-clips kept popping out on me for one. Also had to do a bunch of sanding to get the parts to fit. I just started experimenting with multiple plates, and it's actually kind of cool. One thing I can do is create all 10 and label the ones I know match up to certain calibers. People can then adjust from there depending on rifle / pistol / bevel base / boat tail / semi wad cutter etc........ And you would still always have the ability to dial it in exactly with a set screw.

My road on this journey started with the mods version. I tried that adjustable plate and did not have much luck with it. I found the little c-clips kept popping out on me for one. Also had to do a bunch of sanding to get the parts to fit. I just started experimenting with multiple plates, and it's actually kind of cool. One thing I can do is create all 10 and label the ones I know match up to certain calibers. People can then adjust from there depending on rifle / pistol / bevel base / boat tail / semi wad cutter etc........ And you would still always have the ability to dial it in exactly with a set screw.
    I like your idea better. Too bad it can’t be like the openscad file for collater plate...that would be crazy I know

I like your idea better. Too bad it can’t be like the openscad file for collater plate...that would be crazy I know
    I have thought about how cool that would be, but it is beyond my openscad skill to create such a thing. There are just way too many variables going on, especially once you bring in nose down feeding.

I have thought about how cool that would be, but it is beyond my openscad skill to create such a thing. There are just way too many variables going on, especially once you bring in nose down feeding.
    I think you have done more than enough for the gang. Can’t thank you enough

OK here we go. I just posted bullet nose up slides #1-#10. These basically run from .22 cal to .50 cal, with 1mm increments. Here are the match ups I have already done.

.223 - #2
    .308 - #4
    9mm - #5
    45acp - #7

So using .45acp as an example, the #7 plate is right in the middle (2.25mm ridge). #8 would give you 1mm less ridge, #6 1mm more ridge. On my large pistol plate I measure about 1.25mm of ridge with the #8. So those 45 semi wad cutters would probably be better with the #8. Running bevel bases? Might want to go with the #6. If your running a bevel based semi wad cutter your SOL.

Its posted. Please play around with them and see what you think.
    Last edited by TylerR; 10-25-2020 at 10:39 PM.

I am willing to test anything. May just need a few different slides for different scenarios. I also cast 45 and 44 mag with large meplats, so would probably run into the same problem with those.
    If that last one doesn't work, try the #8 plate I just posted.

Boolit Buddy

If that last one doesn't work, try the #8 plate I just posted.
    I tried the large plate you put up earlier. It didn't work out great. I will try the #8. Are those based off the large or small? Seems that bullet would need the small flipper with the width of the large at the beginning. Ok. I have to laugh. I just pulled up your #8 plate and compared it to my design. It is pretty much the same, except I added extra shelf going towards the ramp.
    Last edited by j_dude77; 10-25-2020 at 11:43 PM.

I tried the large plate you put up earlier. It didn't work out great. I will try the #8. Are those based off the large or small? Seems that bullet would need the small flipper with the width of the large at the beginning. Ok. I have to laugh. I just pulled up your #8 plate and compared it to my design. It is pretty much the same, except I added extra shelf going towards the ramp.
    too funny. Can you show me a pic?

Boolit Buddy

too funny. Can you show me a pic?
    The yellow is me, the green you on the first one. It's opposite on the second.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	270175Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	270176Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	270177
    Last edited by j_dude77; 10-26-2020 at 12:07 AM.

The yellow is me, the green you on the first one. It's opposite on the second.
    Very similar. One of the major modifications I made from the original AM plates, was to make the ridge follow along the collator plate axis perfectly. The circular arc matches the arc of the collator. So the distance to the edge of the ridge is a constant as the bullet rides along it. The original plates were linear, and the distance varied along the direction of travel.