Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Bag Horns

Boolit Grand Master

Bag Horns

Just a FYI for you guys that like making your own stuff. I was in Wal-Mart today, and while in the dog treats section, ran across a product meant for your dogs to chew on; Water Buffalo horns. As a natural product, they ranged widely in configuration, but many were suitable for making bag horns. I bought two. Many others were quite suitable, but two will keep me busy for awhile. These are not raw horns, but rather nicely processed. Cost per horn -- $6.95. Good looking, too.

Sounds like a great tip! I'm pretty sure I've seen everything else one would need to complete such a project in the Dixie Gun Works catalog.

I was curious about these and searched Walmart's site and found this: https://www.walmart.com/search/?quer...n%20chew%20toy

In Remembrance

I can always tell that the knifemaker in me hasn`t died. When I see things like these horns I`m running it in my mind if it would make decent knife scales?Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Maven -- yep. That's it. They had two "racks" of these things. One at the price shown in your search, and another for $6.95 (maybe $6.97 - I can't remember). I bought two and, having made many powder horns, I can see that these will be great. Already "flat" without heating & forming. Each unique like natural stuff is. Think I'll use some exotic wood for the base & machine some brass for the spout end. I may have just found the source of material for next Christmas' present production.

Robert -- Find the "just right" one and they would be super scales.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Pet shops also have them. For knife makers, they also have bleached bone. Lots cheaper than buying from a knife supplier.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    They do come in left and right curves and twists.. Best make sure when purchasing the side carried match's the horn.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Pet shops also have them. For knife makers, they also have bleached bone. Lots cheaper than buying from a knife supplier.
    That's an idea. I have a knife a friend gave me and need to make a handle for it. I was thinking deer antler but don't have any suitable pieces.
    Aim small, miss small!