Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stainless knife

Banned

I bought a set of Chicago cutlery stainless knives. **** if you ask me. they don't really take a good edge and when sharp don't stay sharp long. My buddys daughters school (believe it or not) had a knife sale to sponsor there sports program. Its a small school out in a very rural farm area. I looked at the list and saw most of them were about 10-15 bucks a piece and figured "just more junk knives" so I just ordered two to fill my obliglation as a friend. best kitchen knives ive owned. There thin like a filet knife and sharpen up to almost razor sharpness and a couple passes over a ceramic stone and there good to go again. Last week they had another buy and I bought a whole set of them. I'm sure there far from 300 dollar set of decent knives but at that price there a bargin. the flexible blades work great for boning deer to boot.

Boolit Master
    When it comes to knives I'm a steel junkey! I have a belt grinder with many grades and types of belts that I use for sharpening and reprofiling blades. To the original issue. Most stainless department store type knives are quite soft for a reason, so they can be sharpened on the those crude sharpener that use crossed pieces of carbide steel and crossed ceramic sticks. Some are so soft they will never hold an edge, kitchen grade knives are cheep, get another! Steel can be formulated in a nearly endless possibility of alloys. As far as blades go, it's all a trade off, hardness vs toughness vs brittleness vs etc etc. I've got blades that will skin a deer, bone it, and you can still shave with it when your done, but whoe to anyone who takes on sharpening it with outa powered system with the proper abrasives. Do you want or need that in a kitchen knife? Probably not, but it does need to meet your needs, and that's what is all about.

Boolit Grand Master
    We had a few steel knives at one time.
    Since they were kitchen knives, they didn't get much love.
    Wash and put in draw.
    Always rusted. Always had to clean before using.
    Gave then away to a guy who fished.