Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taylor throating?

Boolit Buddy
    I forgot to mention that when I now slug the bore the slug goes down smoothly and evenly until it hits the threaded portion, so that much was a success. I will make up some more lapping rounds and work on the blued gun as I understand that it will be easier to do. I will also seat the bullets backwards in the case, per '2 dogs' advice. Thank you 2 dogs!

I'm A Honcho!
    Taylor throating for a sixgun was developed by Allen Taylor. Sadly, he is no longer with us. The following comments are from his son, Rev. Jim Taylor, Shootist.

It was developed for the sixgun by my Dad, Allen Taylor .. back at the end of WWII. He found that by using a long throat it allowed the bullet to be centered in the barrel before the rifling gripped it.

The first article I wrote was about my LInebaugh 45 built on a Ruger. I burned the throat in a few thousand rounds of H110 and 2400 loads. Dad and I throated it and I wrote the results up for the Cast Bullet Association and several other publications.
    With that gun the accuracy improved a lot .. and it was accurate previously. The thing is, it shot extremely well with bullets of .450" .452" and .454" diameter.
    Jim Stroh added it as an accuracy option on his guns. Gary Reeder uses a version of it (his is longer) and calls it the Maxi Throat. (Reeder has modified the Taylor throat for the popularity of heavier bullets often used today)

Ross Sefried (Seyfried) also wrote it up in the major magazines (Guns and Ammo) when he tested a few barrels and the Taylor Throated one was the only one to shoot under an inch at 100 yards.

The throating was designed with the idea of accurizing the average shooting gun without making new cylinders and lineboring. It works pretty well for that.

I have know the Reverend Jim Taylor for some 20 years, so Taylor Throating for sixguns goes pretty far back. I thought some of you might find this interesting.

As for our original poster Schreck5, per our conversation on the phone, when slugging his barrel(s), he felt restriction not only at the threads but under the lettering on the barrel as well. Since his restriction was at the threads as well as again further down the barrel, simply Taylor throating would not fix his restriction issue. In this case, he has very little to lose by firelapping and everything to gain. My advice to him was to find fired brass cases that were a slip fit in both cylinders and to start with the blued sixgun first. That way, if the blued gun lapped right in, he wouldnt be stuck with a bunch of firelap ammunition that would not fit his stainless gun. He opted to firelap the stainless gun first instead. No harm done. Just a different path down the same road. Let's see what the next session yields.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 dogs View Post
    Taylor throating for a sixgun was developed by Allen Taylor. Sadly, he is no longer with us. The following comments are from his son, Rev. Jim Taylor, Shootist.

It was developed for the sixgun by my Dad, Allen Taylor .. back at the end of WWII. He found that by using a long throat it allowed the bullet to be centered in the barrel before the rifling gripped it.

The first article I wrote was about my LInebaugh 45 built on a Ruger. I burned the throat in a few thousand rounds of H110 and 2400 loads. Dad and I throated it and I wrote the results up for the Cast Bullet Association and several other publications.
    With that gun the accuracy improved a lot .. and it was accurate previously. The thing is, it shot extremely well with bullets of .450" .452" and .454" diameter.
    Jim Stroh added it as an accuracy option on his guns. Gary Reeder uses a version of it (his is longer) and calls it the Maxi Throat. (Reeder has modified the Taylor throat for the popularity of heavier bullets often used today)

Ross Sefried (Seyfried) also wrote it up in the major magazines (Guns and Ammo) when he tested a few barrels and the Taylor Throated one was the only one to shoot under an inch at 100 yards.

The throating was designed with the idea of accurizing the average shooting gun without making new cylinders and lineboring. It works pretty well for that.

I have know the Reverend Jim Taylor for some 20 years, so Taylor Throating for sixguns goes pretty far back. I thought some of you might find this interesting.

As for our original poster Schreck5, per our conversation on the phone, when slugging his barrel(s), he felt restriction not only at the threads but under the lettering on the barrel as well. Since his restriction was at the threads as well as again further down the barrel, simply Taylor throating would not fix his restriction issue. In this case, he has very little to lose by firelapping and everything to gain. My advice to him was to find fired brass cases that were a slip fit in both cylinders and to start with the blued sixgun first. That way, if the blued gun lapped right in, he wouldnt be stuck with a bunch of firelap ammunition that would not fit his stainless gun. He opted to firelap the stainless gun first instead. No harm done. Just a different path down the same road. Let's see what the next session yields.

Boolit Master

Wait.... are you saying you broke a Ruger ?

Impossible !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12