Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any interest in documenting underground house build here?

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Very Interesting in your build - Please share lots of Pictures

Do you have Artistic drawings of anything to come?
    I have some renderings that I drew up a couple years back but this will be different than those renderings. Here in Montana, in the county that I live in there are no regulations. No building codes or requirements or inspections. Needless to say we are very rural in the mountains.

Fins have been using in slab heating for years. Circulating water in radiators connected to ground circulation works too. Remember a Denver area house that used boulders in the basement with circulating fans for temp control. Late 50s technology. Gravel backfill will work as french drain so you need an outlet. Bro is a Arch Eng, decided to use a berm against the house for geotherm cooling. Had to remove it as it was against a wood stud wall - he should have known better - buckled the wall. He & I always been interested but hard to find/afford a guaranteed system. I've thought about the geotherm well here but cities won't let us do it.
    As a kid I'd rife right seatin the Mooney to SD silos when they were being built. I wouldn't want to live in one. Dad get chewed out pretty good when we tried to land on the paved strip in front of a Martin about to touch down. We were supposed to land on the DIRT strip but tower forgot to say that.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

in the middle of building our retirement house and we put in a fiberglass basement due to the high water table, my biggest concern is it floating out of the ground. we are going to incorporate mr finch's greenhouse from "citrus in the snow" and also incorporate a batch box rocket mass heater for the house. solar water system should arrive this week and hopefully I can have the cows new water system up and running before I have to go back to work. our goal is to not have any utility payments when we retire and be self sufficient.

interested in seeing your foundation walls and log building.

Boolit Master

sorry, double post.

Boolit Master

I am interested; subscribed to this thread.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Moderator Emeritus

Also interested. We just moved into our new build of 1500 sq ft up and down, overlooking the Jefferson and Tobacco Roots. I also have 20 acres I want to put a dry cabin on.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Moderator Emeritus

Instead of that wood wall heat have you considered the scandinavian style wood heat where it travels under the floor and heats the concrete floors? Warm floors in winter make the whole house feel warm!

Quote Originally Posted by Tnfalconer View Post
    We don't plan to need any heating in the floor. Unless it was solar we wouldn't use it. This house will be a test bed for future builds. It just happens to be mine. If we do it right it should reduce our heating needs by about 80-90 percent. We heat solely with wood in the winter. We will still have a wood heater in the house but it should reduce our winter wood usage from 7-8 cord per winter to possibly 2-3... Maybe less. Being 8 ft in the ground thermo regulation will try to maintain earth temp once it stabilizes. That is cool in the summer and warm in the winter. All I have is data from other houses we have built. I have never lived in one for over a month or so.

Moderator Emeritus

to move heat from the greenhouse down look at a thermosiphon system http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects...m#Thermosyphon which uses no moving parts unless you add a fan to the lower radiators...

Boolit Master

Exactly Mary. Put it this way I am a concrete finisher and have built many homes, now if my house were destroyed I definitely would rebuild with in floor heating. Floor heating is even and warm.

Boolit Buddy

Here is the dirt work so far. About 4 ft of depth. The hole I am opening and clearing is about 60x60. Second pic is at grade to give some perspective as to where it will sit on the downhill slope of the top of our property. Full southern exposure. Not sure why it tilted the pictures, sorry about that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    I'm claustrophobic no thanks .
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Very interesting.I`ll saddle up and go along for the ride.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master

Here is the dirt work so far. About 4 ft of depth. The hole I am opening and clearing is about 60x60. Second pic is at grade to give some perspective as to where it will sit on the downhill slope of the top of our property. Full southern exposure. Not sure why it tilted the pictures, sorry about that.
    Damn, that's quite the slope... Damn near vertical... Even the trees are growing out the side of that mountain...

I would like to have a house completely underground and then a small 1000 sq-ft or less portion on the surface as long as I could build it so that the county didn't know about the underground portion. That way, they would only tax me on the upper "shack". Of course, the problem here is that if you build underground, you will probably run into ground water issues and even if you don't, there's a good chance that you might have a problem the next time a slow moving tropical storm or hurricane heads this way.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    Damn, that's quite the slope... Damn near vertical... Even the trees are growing out the side of that mountain...

I would like to have a house completely underground and then a small 1000 sq-ft or less portion on the surface as long as I could build it so that the county didn't know about the underground portion. That way, they would only tax me on the upper "shack". Of course, the problem here is that if you build underground, you will probably run into ground water issues and even if you don't, there's a good chance that you might have a problem the next time a slow moving tropical storm or hurricane heads this way.
    The slope helps with the evacuation of any surface water. We don't have ground water here but we get lots of snow. It needs to allow the runoff of that snow melt. That is one of the reasons for building into the side of a hill like that. Add to that most of my property is on a slope of some kind. We planned this location out carefully taking into account solar exposure, drainage and grade. Using my track loader in the excavation is dicey for sure. I had to rebuild my ramp as the grade was too steep to pull dirt out and not tip the loader backing out. So far I am t about five feet of depth but it is all gravel now. I am using the gravel up on road and driveway instead of just piling it up so it is taking a little longer to do that.

I'd think about running french drains around the 'dug in' part of the house and on other long runs out across the hillside and grab that groundwater runoff and put it into a cistern. A dang big cistern.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    I'd think about running french drains around the 'dug in' part of the house and on other long runs out across the hillside and grab that groundwater runoff and put it into a cistern. A dang big cistern.
    For the most part will have gravel around the entire sub ground portion. That's all the soil is here at that depth. It will be what I back fill with. I might throw corrugated drain at the bases for extra, extra, extra coverage.

This is a great idea, been looking into these ideas myself. Studied architecture and went into the engineering end, always fascinated with solar heating and passive cooling systems. Once we get moved to Montana (Drummond area) i plan on building my shop at least cut into the hillside like you're doing. Great thread and keep the pics coming...
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Boolit Buddy
    I'm interested too.

I'm interested. Have been looking at building a underground house for years. making a living got in the way.
    I have come to believe honey bees are more important to this world than I am.

Boolit Master

For the most part will have gravel around the entire sub ground portion. That's all the soil is here at that depth. It will be what I back fill with. I might throw corrugated drain at the bases for extra, extra, extra coverage.
    Drain tile is a plus and cheap enough too. Not to mention digging up around your place a second time would suck. go for it