MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Thompson center/contender ..any following??

Quote Originally Posted by modified5 View Post
    Are these your fireforming shots?
    Accuracy will get better after all the cases are consistent.
    I can put 3 in a 3/8 hole at 100 with my 7mm L&L barrel.
    It is a shooter!
    The guy I bought my contender from went with an encore pistol.
    He had a custom barrel in .338/.284 winchester.
    What a shooter that thing is. We were hitting a 24 inch diameter rock at 300 yards consistently with his fire form loads. It was so much fun!

My contender is probably the one gun I would never get rid of.
    Now all my brass is fire-formed and working with my loads! I have been using the Lee Dipper Method but I need to be a bit closer for the Scope
    My load was 47.3 gr of WW748 and I increased the charge 1gr!!! trying to get thing closer together......I'm sure liking the Contender !!!! I've always
    been a 1 shot guy even with my lever guns shooting targets or gongs way too much fun for sure!!

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Master
    Of all my TC barrels, the 357 Herrett is a real headaches. I got a bunch of formed brass with the barrel and I 25% misfires.
    I put the barrel aside and worked on others.
    I did replace some of inners with Bellum springs and it seems to help with other calibers.
    I guess the question is: Can you reform, formed Herrett brass.
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Master
    I got some free 30 Herbert a few years ago. It was too short shoulder to head for my barrel. To answer your question, yes , sorta. I seated a 311041 all the way out to hit the rifling origin and closed the excessive headspace. It did move the shoulder forward but also stretched some as well. I trimmed and use that brass for linking loads now as I don't really trust it. To frugal to pitch it
    Give it a try and do some measuring before and after. I also am aware that some have too long a throat to reach with ANY boolit!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

after my experience with misfires and replacing the hammer spring ! My plan is to stay with all rim cases !! this solves the head space issue !!! It's
    frustrating !!!!!! My 30-30 and 44-56 are doing Great ! I've been told that the .22 rim fire is most forgiving !!!! the rimless is the challenge ant the
    shoulder has to be right on the nuts to fire!!!!!
    I still really like what this OlGirl does LoL

Ol Deuce

Boolit Buddy
    I have a .223 super 14 barrel for mine and it is awesome.
    I reload .223 for my Remington 700 also, so I full length resize all my brass.
    I am not going to separate brass for it. I used to shoot 500 rounds of .223 almost every weekend plunking ground squirrels.
    My contender is deadly on those little critters out to 250 yards.
    Yes, I had a witness.
    He told me to quit showing off.
    I have never had a misfire out of that barrel at all.
    I think the only way you would have a problem is if the chamber is mis-cut, or the shoulder got set back too far somehow.
    All of my other barrels are rimmed cases.

I have a 10'' .357 Max that can be a hand full to shoot. A 38-40 carbine that is very fun to shoot and .17 Mach IV carbine that has taken many prairie dogs.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

its to bad they don't make a spear point in .44 LoL ..I really like the weight of the Thompson!! My shiloh weighs in at 16 lbs....now that's a cannon for sure!!
    this MGM barrel is shaping up well !! after I get this 44 shooting my way ! the next barrel will be either the 219 zipper or the 25-35 ......

Ol Deuce

Boolit Master
    I have a 24 inch bull in 256 Winchester. It always shot 75gr hp well. I have a mold for an 80 gr that I want to work up a woods walking load with. When you get your 2535 drop me a pm and ill send you some to playwith. Maybe tthat'll help me get off my duff and cast some
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    I have a 24 inch bull in 256 Winchester. It always shot 75gr hp well. I have a mold for an 80 gr that I want to work up a woods walking load with. When you get your 2535 drop me a pm and ill send you some to playwith. Maybe tthat'll help me get off my duff and cast some
    Cool Thanks...........the 25-35 loads I shoot always goes in my Old Winchester Carbine .....this contender will be way more fun !!!!

Ol Deuce

Boolit Master

Ol Duece
    Zipper when ya could have a Wasp?
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Mold
    I can pretty much mirror what high standard 40 says,I have several in one form or another. My oldest is the 7mm tcu. I also shoot the 357 max a lot,22 K Hornet, 358 Bellm,30 Herrett, 22LR,30-30,45 Colt,223, and 7-30 Waters. I've been shot contenders since 1981 and since they are so addictive, I probably won't stop until I can't hold one up anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Check Bellm TCs,E Arthur Brown, Eds TCs for complete barrels and frames,and Match Grade Machine for barrels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    Ol Duece
    Zipper when ya could have a Wasp?
    Hahaha the zipper keeps it in line and the wasp stings !!!!! The zipper brass looks tobe way easier to do !!! ballistics seems tobe neck in neck !!!
    Ol Deuce

.357 Herrett Problems

This is in response to LeadMelter's post: I too have a Herrett..had it for 30 years! Favorite Contender barrel. You might consider trying to load your undersized brass WITHOUT BULLET AND POWDER into a 30-30 and firing the primer..then reprime with a large pistol primer so that it might go off with a lighter strike and use some mild fire forming loads. This should get you back to where you can just neck size the cases. I have never had a misfire in my .357 Herrett but I always formed my cases to require a "snap" to close the gun..

Quote Originally Posted by kingrj View Post
    This is in response to LeadMelter's post: I too have a Herrett..had it for 30 years! Favorite Contender barrel. You might consider trying to load your undersized brass WITHOUT BULLET AND POWDER into a 30-30 and firing the primer..then reprime with a large pistol primer so that it might go off with a lighter strike and use some mild fire forming loads. This should get you back to where you can just neck size the cases. I have never had a misfire in my .357 Herrett but I always formed my cases to require a "snap" to close the gun..

I am replying to my dumb self here! Just checked and the .357 Herrett case is 3mm to long to fit up into a factory 30-30 chamber..so much for "that" good idea!

Boolit Master
    Hey there, welcome to the forum from another 357Herrett fan.

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Hey there, welcome to the forum from another 357Herrett fan.
    I've not been around any of the HERRETT Rounds !! Thanks Ol Deuce

Talking with a friend tonight and found out he had a 2 barrel set Contender ! WoW one of the Barrels is the 256 Win.Mag. and as the conversation went ,I
    Still have a New/Old Yellow X Box of 256 !!!! That was left over from my Ruger 256 single shot !!! Hope this doesn't Date me LoL

OL Deuce

Boolit Master
    I looked for years for a Hawkeye, when I found one the price had gotten unreasonable. The 10 inch TC barrel is a ball, great grounhog killer. The 24 inch is more better, still no Magnus, but that's a good thing to me
    Grab that setup if its available, every contender nut needs more than one frame

My left over hawkeye stuff LoL

Ol Deuce