MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lee 30 cal 2-cav molds, not necessarily as advertised.

Moderator Emeritus

Lee 30 cal 2-cav molds, not necessarily as advertised.

I'll start with the results from pouring a alloy of 94-3-3

C309-160-R > 145gr .312 & .300nose
    C309-170-F > 166gr .311 & .301nose
    C309-180-R > 167gr .311 & .302nose
    C309-200-R > 189gr .312/.313 & .301/.302nose "out of round"
    C324-175-R > 170gr .327 & .317nose

***and yeah, I included one 8mm mold.

When I started casting 3 years ago, I began by collecting equipment. I knew one day I'd want to cast for 30 cal, since I have several 30 cal guns. So I bought the above molds NEW about 2 years ago. I finally got around to casting with them this week. They all suffered badly from "boolits sticking in the cavities" All were Leemented at least once after the first session...I used a simplified version of the directions in this sticky http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ost-Revisited)
    The C309-180-R was the worst, I Leemented that one 4 times.

I was disappointed that they all needed Lementing, I've cast with several Lee pistol molds, and nearly all of them dropped boolits freely from the get go...if not, a little deburring of the cavity edges with a oak stick did the trick...NOT so with these rifle molds.

I have not Leemented a mold before, one thing I noticed that is interesting to me, is the boolit I used to "spin" in the cavities measured the same size after I was done...I would have thought it would have worn a measurable amount. I also would have thought I would have "honed" the cavities measurably larger (especially the one I Leemented 4 times...Let me tell you, that fourth time was long and I reapplied polishing compound several times...I didn't want to do it a fifth time) But the boolits I poured after each time, including the last time, all measured the same and weighed (on average) the same.

When I bought these molds, I was hoping one would end up being near 167gr (the typical weight I like to use in my 308win guns), I am quite happy to have two styles in the weight, with two different nose diameters. I was really surprised that the 160 is only 145gr.

I would have expected all of them to have the variance of the 8mm. Being a 5 to 10 % lighter, because of the alloy. And I'm happy to see that one is a little fat...although I currently don't even own a gun in 8mm...I will someday day. The SIL got the last one I had and he recently traded it off.

I've sized and lubed most of them...Now to find time to load 'em up and shoot 'em. (I got a call from a jobsite yesterday...I have only worked one day so far this year, I start a large project there on Monday and am happy about that. So I guess this 30 cal project will get put on the back burner.)

ANYWAY, I haven't seen too many other threads about Lee 30 cal molds and am wondering if others have seen similar results ?
    Jon

PS, I was also pleasently surprised that only one was measurably out of round. (Measurably meaning .001 or more. The others are no doubt out of round, just not by .001 or more)
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 03-08-2013 at 05:38 PM. Reason: added PS
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Regardless of the mold maker, you are lucky that your .30 cal. bullets are dropping a little on the large size, lots more sizing options in your accuracy testing.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd be happy with those " numbers ", try ordering a Lyman mold and see if you get a mold that cast that much over size.

Boolit Master
    I wish I had your problems. Mine are measuring way under size on the noses, like .295/.296
    Last edited by rbuck351; 04-18-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I'll start with the results from pouring a alloy of 94-3-3

C309-160-R > 145gr .312 & .300nose
    C309-170-F > 166gr .311 & .301nose
    C309-180-R > 167gr .311 & .302nose
    C309-200-R > 189gr .312/.313 & .301/.302nose "out of round"
    C324-175-R > 170gr .327 & .317nose

***and yeah, I included one 8mm mold.

When I started casting 3 years ago, I began by collecting equipment. I knew one day I'd want to cast for 30 cal, since I have several 30 cal guns........ So I bought the above molds NEW about 2 years ago. I finally got around to casting with them this week. They all suffered badly from "boolits sticking in the cavities" All were Leemented at least once after the first session...I used a simplified version of the directions in this sticky http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ost-Revisited)
    The C309-180-R was the worst, I Leemented that one 4 times.

I was disappointed that they all needed Lementing, I've cast with several Lee pistol molds, and nearly all of them dropped boolits freely from the get go...if not, a little deburring of the cavity edges with a oak stick did the trick...NOT so with these rifle molds.

.........I've sized and lubed most of them...Now to find time to load 'em up and shoot 'em. (I got a call from a jobsite yesterday...I have only worked one day so far this year, I start a large project there on Monday and am happy about that. So I guess this 30 cal project will get put on the back burner.)

ANYWAY, I haven't seen too many other threads about Lee 30 cal molds and am wondering if others have seen similar results ?
    Jon

PS, I was also pleasently surprised that only one was measurably out of round. (Measurably meaning .001 or more. The others are no doubt out of round, just not by .001 or more)
    Thanks for the detailed information, much appreciated. That 94/3/3 is an alloy I like to use for rifle bullet getting PC'd Glad to hear about you getting called for some work. When I worked for construction company it seemed like I either had plenty of time for hobbies and no paycheck to spend on them, or no time but a paycheck.

I have that 8mm mold, it seems to shoot well in a 30's Czech Mauser. I did damage the edge of a cavity, got a nick in it, wasn't much of an issue since I chamfer the base before applying gas checks, but for $20 I just ordered another one when I was already paying for shipping on an order. I have started taking the sprue plate off and rubbing it on a flat sharpening stone just to make sure I have a smooth polished surface on the sprue plate bottom.

I have had the same experience with micro burrs along the edge that a little rubbing with a hard/heavy toothpick resolved, as well as one mold that required leementing. Overall pleased with the molds but they can require some fiddilyfartingaround to get working right.

I do like the idea of buying an inexpensive mold that allows me to do some limited casting for family or friends. I'll spend $20 to make it possible rather than $100 to make it better when I expect limited use. For stuff I'm going to load in quantity I figure I'll work the load to match what drops from the mold. Having your determination that the molds are not generally way out of round is reassuring.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Glad to hear about you getting called for some work. When I worked for construction company it seemed like I either had plenty of time for hobbies and no paycheck to spend on them, or no time but a paycheck.

...SNIP
    this is an old thread.
    I retired last year.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

It's not just Lee moulds that aren't exact. I measured a few sized boolits .
    Lyman 450 sizer. all boolits cast from same alloy/pot on same day . 50/50 lead-COWW , air cooled .
    Sized with Lyman sizer die marked .410 = .41175 rounded off = .4118
    Sized with Lyman siser die marked .413 = .41245 rounded off = .4125
    The difference between the two is only .0007....neither one sizes to what they are marked and for all practical purposes one is just slightly under .412 and the other just slightly over .412.

I find that funny because I wanted a .412 sizer but Lyman only sells .410 and .413 , looks like I got what I wanted more by accident than design !
    Reloading stuff is like a box of chocolates.....you just don't know what you're going to get.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Measuring to the hundred thousanth........amazing..........

How many hundred thousanths in diameter have you determined makes an accuracy difference.....?

Larry Gibson

Banned
    I think I will start measuring my 40 yard groups in the hundred thousanths.