Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Consolidation? Is it really possible?

Boolit Master

Consolidation? Is it really possible?

Since there isn't a generic forum, I'm picking this one just because I looked at the box of moulds I have in my garage.. A big box..

I spent half the evening reading ONE post. It really made me think until my head hurt. Is consolidation really possible?

I read Texasflyboys post "75,000 Wadcutters in a Model 27". No post has got me thinking more than that one. Seriously, 75k rounds through one gun? Really, what's the fun in that. I have 75k rounds spread out through 50 handguns and 7 calibers. "Variety is the spice of life"! Or is it? It was VERY timely that I posted a rant on "accumulators" vs "collectors" on a S&W forum.

I'm an accumulator. I hate to pass up a "bargain". I'm a jack of all trades and a master of none. I got that Texasflyboy is a master of ONE. He is a master of that 5" 27-2 S&W. I don't know what else he owns but that was enough to have me thinking. I have accumulations of .44 mags, .380's, 9mm, .22's (maybe don't count), .38/.357, .41, .45 and random Contender barrels....... I'll exclude protection guns (that, you should have only one of and be a master of it). I notice out of several choices, when I head to the range I spend half an hour deciding what to take. I spend another half an hour deciding which bullets to take. I spend another half hour trying to remember which loads I liked the best. I can't imagine how liberating it must be to pick up a box of bullets (the same bullets), one gun and go SHOOT!

I have to try a dozen bullets for every caliber. If I could just settle on ONE (ok, maybe two) bullets for each caliber (fewer calibers would be a good thing too) I could pay for 20 years of lead, powder and primers just by selling the seldom used molds. I really love the concept of one or maybe two loads for maybe a few calibers. I have to have some variety but seriously, how much variety do I need for making holes in paper?

I really need to look at my accumulation. It reminds me of the idea of turning your clothes hangers around. You do that and at the end of a year, you see which one got used. Get rid of the ones you haven't used in a year. THAT post had me realizing I've been way more focused on quantity than quality. One nice gun instead of a half dozen half assed ones. One nice mold instead of half a dozen cheap ones...

Sorry if this comes off as a rant but it does have me thinking about my MO... I'm sure there aren't many in my boat but if you're treading water like I am, you might think about actually getting someplace by swimming.. (-:}

Could I consolidate my shooting to one handgun and one rifle? Hmm, a .357 and a 30-06 might do it. Or maybe a .222 and a .41....
    Last edited by arlon; 06-07-2017 at 01:39 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have started down that same path, I was buying all the guns I could when I first got into shooting but now I have really settled into just a couple of guns and I have been considering liquidating the guns I haven't shot in the last two years to liberate the capital for other hobbies and or reloading supplies.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    Arlon ,danged if I know, but I would seriously like to know what you decide. The reason being, I'm in a similar boat myself, not quite as big, but still plenty roomy.
    Oklahoma. Quite possibly the reddest state in the U.S.A. 77 counties, 2 elections, and not a single one went for B.O. Uh make that 3 elections, we didn't care much for Hillary either.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaseous Maximus View Post
    Arlon ,danged if I know, but I would seriously like to know what you decide. The reason being, I'm in a similar boat myself, not quite as big, but still plenty roomy.
    Maybe I'm not the only one that that accumulates and can't let go of stuff I know I'll never use.. It's going to be a challenge. I'd love to walk into the next gun show with 4-5 half assed guns and walk out with one really nice one.. We'll see how it plays out.

Boolit Master
    I have managed to downsized some by selling all my .40 and 357 now thinking hard about dropping 300bo. Not sure if I will go further but it IS a bit liberating. But to go all the way to one? Don't think that is possible for me.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddirt62 View Post
    I have managed to downsized some by selling all my .40 and 357 now thinking hard about dropping 300bo. Not sure if I will go further but it IS a bit liberating. But to go all the way to one? Don't think that is possible for me.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    LOL, I have to agree that one is NOT a possibility but I could see myself dumping the .44 and focusing on the .41, the .380 for 9mm, the .308 for 06.. That would still be a start. Several nice guns in the same common caliber might be better than a dozen lesser guns in a dozen calibers. I can see some consolidation in my future!

I just make myself feel better by watching prices over time steadily rise. (excluding the 1-2 year blips of mass rise). All those orphan guns and molds are just money in the bank to be taken out and used occasionally or just petted, cleaned, and memories re-visited.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    A good thread . . . . and you aren't the only one in the same boat. I've been shooting for round 55 years. I am a self confessed "accumulator" as well. It's just in the past several years that I have begun to "downsize" and am still struggling with it but it has to be done.

My wife and I just moved from our house of 40+ years in to a condo. That move made me get rid of a lot of things - tools, lawnmowers, etc. that I no longer need. It was only when I began to pack up my reloading / gun stuff that I began to realize just how much I had accumulated. Now, I will shortly be working on setting up a new reloading area at the condo - can't decide whether to use the garage or the basement but I'll figure that out once I get started to get organized here - we've only been in the condo a week and are still "settling in". Brass? I know I have way too much in a lot of calibers. Dies? Why or why do I have so many and some for calibers I don't even load? Molds? Like you, I could never pass up a bargain and the fun was trying a number of different ones in different calibers - and now - most sit unused but I still keep them "just in case".

One of the things that is motivating me to "down size" is that I realize if something happens to me, my wife knows nothing about any of it and most will go for little or nothing. Soooo . . why not get rid of un-needed things now and get a fair value out of them and use the money for better purposes - like taking the wife out for dinner or letting her buy more yarn for her addition?

Nope . . . you're not alone and we all suffer from the problem to one extent or another!

Boolit Buddy
    Some times I think we are all in the same boat. I have consolidated one or twice in my life but then the caliber_war in my head, hunting or self defense conditions, etc get me going in another direction. I keep what I have unless selling one/ -trading one allows a new addition.

I have always believed in the old adage (beware of aperson with one gun). My problem has been which one. I have finally settled on my guns and calibers. Now it's time to sell the other to consolidate and use new funds to acquire more powder brass primers and or stash of ammo. This journey has taught me how to shoot and or a working knowledge of several different styles of weapons. It has been fun.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

ADMIN

At one time I loaded for 14 or 15 different calibers.
    For the most part it was the same gun just different calibers. Stainless N frame with 4 or 5 inch barrel

I figured out last year, after my dad got rid of most of his guns, that I didn't need so many different calibers.
    I really never shoot some of them.
    As far as bullet profiles go, from the beginning I focused on mostly one style per caliber. Flat Point Round Nose.
    I use a Magma Master Caster and magma molds.

There is a couple of exceptions, on 38sp/357 mag, I do cast a 105 grain WC and I cast 2 different bullet weight FPRN (125/158).
    On 40 cal, I have the same mold (180 TC magma) twice that I had Eric HP one mold so I cast a 172 HP and a 180 std. Both have the same overall profile and both I shoot with the same powder load.

I have taken a different path. I have several examples of several calibers but am slowly focusing on a "standard" load for each cartridge.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

I'll be watching this thread to see how others address this problem. I'll be 75 YO next month and there is no way I will ever shoot half the guns I own or cast with half the molds I've got. The guns will go to my sons before I go to my reward but the molds are something else. I don't think they will ever be interested in casting and would probably either scrap them or sell them for pennies on the dollar.

I have accumulated other "stuff" that I need to dispose of too. I have lots of books but only a few that I go back to and read again.

It is very easy to get paralyzed to inaction when contemplating downsizing. Maybe seeing what others do will spur me on to action.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know the answer to this, but I suspect that the answer will boil down to personal taste. I have several guns that I don't shoot but that I will never sell because they were inherited. I sold several a few years ago that I bought, shot, enjoyed, and then lost interest in.

With bullet molds, I have tried to keep it down to 1 or 2 for the calibers I cast for. I have more 45 molds than anything else. One of them will probably be sold, one was inherited and will always be here and one that I use.

Same thing with reloading equipment. A few years ago I sold all of the die sets that I no longer had guns for and all of the extra equipment that I had accumulated. I did the same thing with a bunch of brass.

Boolit Master
    That's why I picked 357 magnum, 9mm, 25 ACP, and soon 327 federal magnum. The 9mm,38's,& 357's all use the same molds. The same will be true with all the 32 caliber stuff. The 25 ACP is just because I'm a big fan of the little cartridge. So, to sum it up, I will be able to shoot 25 ACP, 32 s&w 32s&w long, 32h&r 327 federal magnum 32acp 38 spl 357magnum. All from 3 hand guns and 3 rifles with maybe 10 different molds. But I'm not no where near ready to do that. I sure do like having the bulk of my shooting and reloading go 357 magnum because most of my firearms are in that caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    I have taken a different path. I have several examples of several calibers but am slowly focusing on a "standard" load for each cartridge.
    That's been my "consolidation" plan over the last few years... one boolit, one propellent, one primer, one load for each cartridge regardless of the number of firearms chambered for it. In some cases even one boolit for various cartridges of same diameter... for example .32-20/.32 Mag/.32 S&W. And, where possible, one propellent/velocity level for several cartridges of the same (for lack of a better word) "class"... for example, using 2400 in the 1150-1250 FPS range for the .41 Mag, .44 Mag, .45 Colt Ruger. I'm using W231 for both the .38 Special and .357 Mag with the same boolit, just at different velocity levels. And I've completely stopped using gas checked boolits in all pistols/revolvers... and have pretty much given up on bevel-base boolits.

I've been selling off the molds I've never used or no longer use (such as the gas checked, bevel based, and ultra heavy/light).

I'm currently using cast boolits in only a couple rifles; but same plan, one boolit, one load including those using jacketed bullets.

I've also "simplified" my alloys down to two basic ones... straight COWW or a 50/50 COWW/SOWW (both with a bit of tin added until I run out). I do have some Lino and some "hard cast" stashed back if I'm ever in need of a "special purpose" balls-to-the-wall load requiring a harder alloy.

Of course, this "consolidation" plan does require some amount of compromise... for example, finding the boolit diameter that works across the various platforms (yet, may not be optimal for every one) or boolit weight a bit on the heavy side for one cartridge and a bit on the light side for another. On the other hand, once the boolit/load is developed the reloading dies can be "locked down" and it's just a matter of screwing them in and out of the press to reproduce the load.

I enjoy casting and reloading, but I enjoy shooting more... simplifying (or consolidating) the casting/reloading aspect leaves more time and emphases on the shooting. Next, I need to figure out a way to use up all those partial canisters of propellent (some no longer available) I've accumulated over the years experimenting with endless combinations... maybe a "fire" sale

I've seen many firearms in calibers that I don't cast/load for...have been tempted many times, especially pistols and revolvers.

But...the 'Practical' side of me always wins out.
    My 'question' I always ask myself is this..."Am I willing to purchase dies and moulds to support that new caliber?" The answer is always no...I have enough calibers and the lust for a new fangled weapon always passes too...I have life long favorites to shoot and plenty of those to keep me busy.
    Besides...I don't know anyone who got a new weapon and instantly became a better marksman...prolly 95% of the weapons we currently own have always/will always out shoot our abilities anyway...
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    I've seen many firearms in calibers that I don't cast/load for...have been tempted many times, especially pistols and revolvers.

But...the 'Practical' side of me always wins out.
    My 'question' I always ask myself is this..."Am I willing to purchase dies and moulds to support that new caliber?" The answer is always no...I have enough calibers and the lust for a new fangled weapon always passes too...I have life long favorites to shoot and plenty of those to keep me busy.
    Besides...I don't know anyone who got a new weapon and instantly became a better marksman...prolly 95% of the weapons we currently own have always/will always out shoot our abilities anyway...
    I'm in the practical camp. The firearm, casting and reloading equipment are tools. If I'm going to buy an new tool I have to have a need that an existing tool won't fill. If I need to supply it with bullets that means I need to purchase dies, molds, brass, and powder to provide those bullets. Does tend to focus one on buying same caliber. That doesn't mean I won't accumulate a few different molds in the search for what "works". And unless it simply won't shoot worth spit I'm not likely to sell the mold. In general I think my goal is a light & heavy projectile in each caliber. Maybe a wad cutter (or two) for the pistol calibers.

I have what I "need" so now it is always a choice of how to spend the amount I can budget to my hobbies. A bolt action .223 will win over a lever action 30-30 because I already can supply .223 ammo and bolt action with scope provides functionality that a mini-14 ranch rifle does not. A lever action in 38/357 wins over a 40 S&W for the same supply reason. But I don't need an assortment of chambers to stick the same cartridge into unless they add something functional. Fun is a function by the way.

I know what I want and will delay gratification but won't wander too far from my chosen path either. Why would I want to organize 20 different bullets in .358? I need and have a couple weights of WC, a SWC 158 gr. and still need something light weight for my wife. Say 105 or 125 gr. One ammo box with 5 bags, 5 loads in 2 powders, makes life, storage and budget less confusing. If the bullet looks like that then the load must be ____. Not to say I won't experiment but the goal is most bang for least buck and least hassle.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    ...I have enough calibers and the lust for a new fangled weapon always passes too...
    Yeah... "new-fangled" don't do it for me so the temptation ain't really there for me.
    I'm a "blue steel and wood" guy... stainless steel, synthetics, laminates, and whatnot just don't look and feel right on a firearm to me. And I flat don't care for all the gadgets, gizmos, and "safe-action" triggers... especially all those sights they put on pistols and revolvers these days that remind me of glow-worm fishing lures.

That's not to say I don't own any stainless or synthetics... but the percentage is extremely minimal. I just don't find the "new production" firearms enticing, or tempting... they sort'a turn me off.
    I also have my own ideas about handguns... a handgun should be comfortably portable in a belt holster. So, for me, that means most of the "super magnums" have no appeal. A N-frame sized double-action revolver with a 5-6 inch barrel is about the limit... a 7½ Blackhawk stretches that limit but I will tolerate it on a single-action (still preferring a shorter barrel). I love the look of a blued, full-sized 1911, with walnut grip panels... any auto pistol larger than that in any dimension (even a double-stack magazine sized grip) would cause me to cringe. I have no desire to own a Glock or any of the derivatives... they just ain't "right" in my opinion.

But I'm a sucker for the classic look of older firearms. It's near impossible for me to walk away from a well cared for older firearm in blue steel and walnut... I rarely go to gun shows anymore, I'm too easily parted from my money.

Boolit Grand Master

"Variety is the very spice of life that gives it all it's flavor !"
    What fun would only having one gun and one mould be ?
    I guess you wouldn't have to decide what gun to take to the range.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    "Variety is the very spice of life that gives it all it's flavor !"
    What fun would only having one gun and one mould be ?
    I guess you wouldn't have to decide what gun to take to the range.
    Gary
    I'm not down for one gun but I'm down for consolidating loads and guns I really don't use. I would love to trade the stack of old impulse buy guns for one or two really nice ones in a caliber I already load for and at least would use. I guess at my age (61) I'm just getting past the quantity thing and would really like more quality. I'm also feeling recoil more. Smaller calibers are looking better! I'm appreciating less drama and more simplicity..