RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: SKS in .357 Magnum

Boolit Master
    The one thing about going the sks route for me was settled when I started using Larry Gibsons report on Jr's(God rest his soul, kinda miss him here) load for the x39 in cast. All my x39's(only 2) turned into a little beast when I loaded 170-190 grain with all the LVR powder I could get in!! Larry's thread on this load is very informative.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    @ blackbahart
    I think I may do just that now that you opened my eyes to other options in the rifle itself.
    But I can see that this thread is DEAD.
    I am one who is willing to spend the time and money to see if something can be done, and not just stick with what is known.
    I am sort of like those Two Brothers in Ohio, that owned a Bicycle shop.
    I am glad they didn't listen to everyone else, or we might not have proven flight was possible.
    But I will persue this project down the road, but I can see no sence in sharing it with others.
    My Money, My Time, I will waste it as I see fit.
    But any kind of learning, is not a waste of time, even if you fail.

But I can see that this thread is DEAD.
    Only so much to say. Some photos of your progress should spark some more interest and discussion.

I have done lots of things that only made since to me. If you just talk about them folks can come up with many reasons why it's a waste of time, money and materials for something so useless but then a video of something chunking 40 lbs of bowling balls hundreds of yards had at least someone thinking, ok that's kind of cool.

Don't get your feelings hurt though if everyone felt the same way you do about a semiauto 357 someone somewhere would be making them for sale. Heck we have semiauto .410 shotguns and I can't imagine that's a big market either.

Boolit Master
    This thread will only die if you let it. I have been lurking on this one for a while waiting for some progress pics.
    My personal stumbling block with this conversion is feeding from the mag, but with perseverance that would certainly come to pass.
    The gas system would likely need a larger port, putting it closer to the chamber would be nice but a bit challenging.
    "Those that think they can't are probably right. Those that think they can are probably right."
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Master
    @ DCM
    If you had been following this thread closely, you would have read that this in not a project in process.
    Thus, No pictures .
    It was a venture to try and get some input like you gave about the gas port.
    But there has just been too much negativity.
    I will build the rifle in my own good time and then do what is popular and make it a Show And Tell post saying " Look what I did".

Just because has always been a valid reason for me. I was told a rimless 357Max wouldn't work in an AR15. I'm stubborn and wanted one so I made it. If you want a 357Mag SKS and have the means, make it a reality.

Just because has always been a valid reason for me. I was told a rimless 357Max wouldn't work in an AR15.
    I agree and thought of the same thing at some point. Certainly seemed like there would be a lot less issues with feeding.

Boolit Master
    I'd like to see an SKS chambered in .401 Self Loader... as 7.62x39 is what everyone is now using to fire-form brass for this round.

Chamber pressure for this antique round is about 37-39K psi (much less than the AK round).

I would have to mike a barrel to see if the thickness matches up (OD).

Boolit Master
    The .357 Rimless is a great Idea, but then the Cartridge head woud be too small for the SKS bolt face.
    Not overcomeable, but a step I didnt want to take.
    But yes, the bolt on an AR is better suited for that conversion.
    And a conversion to the 401 SL would be interesting, now that one member inspired me to look at that and the old .351 SL.
    Interesting rounds indeed.
    I had seen them before, but overlooked them because of their age and inability to find factory ammo, even though I handload.

Never heard of the Self Loader round.

The .357 Rimless is a great Idea, but then the Cartridge head woud be too small for the SKS bolt face.
    If you are fine with the idea of a case that is different than 357 magnum just neck up a 7.62x39.

Boolit Master
    This build well have enough challenges in the design and function.
    I kind of wanted to start off with something that was a Known Factory loading first.
    That way I am not going back and forth between the cartridge and the gun.
    The factory load would be the known Datum Line and the base line for the rifles function.
    But if I start off with a Custom or Wildcat round then all the Mechanical might not function with a different or unknown load

Boolit Master
    LAGS, haven't posted until now but have certainly been following the discussion with interest.
    If some QuickLoad numbers would help, just let me know how far the gas port is from the bolt face.
    That won't be 100% definitive because gas volume will be an additional factor beyond port pressure, but may get things in the ballpark.
    H110 sounds like by far the best option.
    Good luck & will follow the thread.

Boolit Master
    110 , 296 or 2400 are my preferred powders in this caliber.
    But a lot has been said so far about the .357 being a lower pressure round.
    So my thinking was to start by building the rifle in .357 magnum.
    Then if the pressure or gas volume is not enough for reliable cycling , then ream it deeper for the .357 Max

Vendor Sponsor

Sounds like something to watch develop .. good luck to you sir
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Also , If I can get the rifle to mechanical function and feed out of the Magazine but not be able to get it to work with the Gas System, I could still use it as a Straight Pull rifle or turn it onto a Pump Rifle configuration.
    30 years ago , I helped a friend turn a LE into a Semi Auto Rifle.
    Crude and funky but it worked.
    We called it Clanky.

Perma-Banned
    While it's fun to speculate over a few beers, this idea has no merit.

Rimmed cases suck in any magazine system except a rotary or tubular.

This rifle would cost more than a complete lightweight AR-10 in 338 Federal that would do far more. In the AR 15 platform is the 357 Gunner that will push a 158 JHP @ 220 fps or a 250 gr JSP @ 1900 fps. In both cases, the flexibility of other uppers exists.

As one poster suggested, the 401 WSL would be a far easier conversion. It will push a 250 gr JHP at 2000 fps and works fine w/cast boolits too. (been there done that)

This build well have enough challenges in the design and function.
    I kind of wanted to start off with something that was a Known Factory loading first.
    That way I am not going back and forth between the cartridge and the gun.
    The factory load would be the known Datum Line and the base line for the rifles function.
    But if I start off with a Custom or Wildcat round then all the Mechanical might not function with a different or unknown load
    Why I suggested the 9x39 back on the first page.

I'm not sure why people get so negative over someone who is perusing an idea that has nothing to do with cost or practicality but just plain fun? Trust me - if the magazine system doesn't function right, he'll tweak it until it does - I have not seen this individual ever fail to accomplish what sets out to do. If LAGS wants to do it, and ever gets the time to do it, I'm sure he'll have a blast doing it, and I'm sure it will work right every time. If practical was the rule, nobody would be here - far more practical to simply buy ammo, instead of making your own, right? I, for one, would love to try this one out if/when he ever gets to it.

Edit to add - jmorris, was that your bowling ball cannon? Fun toy.
    Last edited by armoredman; 06-04-2017 at 05:41 AM.

Sometimes it is not about doing "More". .38 special/.357 would IMO make a great little plinking rifle. To be able to have one in a semi auto, LOL yeah that would be fun. No doubt about it. All those problems are meat and drink to a person with time on their hands.

If you are on a budget, rather than tinkering with a SKS go buy a Hipoint Carbine in 9mm. You have essentially the same thing. A cheap 10 shot plinker.

But you have also drastically cut most of the fun of this project clean out of sight.

I see why a person would do this. If would be unique. And yours. And you would be the envy of the guys at the range. Reason enough IMO right there.