WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home made stirring spoons

Quote Originally Posted by Von Dingo View Post
    A dollar store stainless steel frosting spatula, and ground the end to match the lower edge of the pot. A couple of secondhand spoons have been modded to suit other needs.
    Terrific! I hope it ain't 'pat.pend.', consider that idea copied!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    I too use a frosting spatula for scraping. Mine has a flat end so it scrapes the bottom and I ground a small radius notch in the end to scrape the rod.
    I have a long SS float spoon with a old file handle for stirring and skimming.

Boolit Master

I stole one of my wifes ice tea spoons to skim the pot, but I stir and scrape the pot with a large wooden paint mixing stick - get them for free from Lowes or Home Depot - just ask for a couple in the paint dept...

Boolit Man

Big vise grips and large SS tablespoon -- been working fine since 1976!

Banned
    The best spoon I have is a socket holder from Harbor Freight Rules. It was laying handy one day so I grabbed it to stir with. Turned out that all the spoons I bought afterwards just sit there and I use the socket holder. Just a plain old socket wrench holder with the little clips slid off. It is long enough so the handle end never gets hot. It is strong and the contour is perfect for my lee pot. It scrapes in the bottom edges perfectly. Here is a picture of one with the clips on. Just slide them off and for $.99 you have the (in my opinion) stirring and utility spoon for lead that you will ever find.
    Attachment 192161
    Attachment 192764
    Last edited by Traffer; 04-07-2017 at 07:15 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I saw someone mention paint sticks. I have been using them for scraping and skimming but it bubbles and gurgles the pot when I try to reach the bottom. Always makes me tighten up a little bit when I try to reach the bottom. I was reading a lot about how stirring really helps mix your alloy and pull dross to the center. Up until now I've only stirred in my dirty pot for ingots. I have a huge spoon I've been using for my Lee pot because it takes the wax and pushes it below the surface when I dunk it so I've been using that but I can't stir with it. I suppose I need to see what my thrift store or Walmart has. I already have a stack of paint sticks, along with a stack of half burnt paint sticks.

Oak handle made from cutting up a table leg and rounding on a belt sander, with a spoon from thrift store. Drilled a hole in handle and drove the spoon into it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170330_071554029.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	192179

Boolit Grand Master
    My stirring spoons came from Goodwill.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Cheap bamboo wooden spoons. You get fluxing as you stir. When it burns up, buy another. I use paint sticks too. Just put them on top of the pot for a bit before stirring to get rid of any moisture.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    I use a cheap stainless steel pierced ladle for everything. When melting WW it aids removing the clips and large trash while being self draining. For picking up the fine dross that floats on top I just use the edge as skimmer.

Boolit Mold
    Took one of the wifes old tablespoons bent it 90 deg. clamped in an old pair of needle nose vice grips .

Banned
    I use a small potato masher, it does a quick job of fluxing and mixing the lead, I use a gravy spoon to skim with though I usually leave 1/4 inch layer on top to stop oxidizing and keep the lead from splashing when dropping in sprues.

I use a SS baby spoon and a pair of pliers to hold it. This is for my casting pots. Probably pick up the spoons at the local thrift store for next to nothing. For the smelting pot I use service industry serving spoons and a pair of welding gloves.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    SS Messkit spoon from whichever war, wrapped with rawhide. Grind so that one edge can scrape the pot walls.

Piece of 1/8"x1" aluminum strapping with one end hammered into a square spoon. Works well enough I've never tried to improve it. Lead doesn't stick to it but it could stand to be a bit longer or get some wood riveted to the handle as it gets hot if you leave it in the pot for a long time.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    I use a Roux spoon, Flat on the bottom
    I tink you said dat jes to make 'em look up what you talking about, Cher!
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

I would rather melt lead on a hot day then make a proper Roux. Although if someone else wants to do the work I will gladly partake in the feast.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

Like my roux a little on the dark side, like my Sunday shoe as opposed to my brogans. That, the trinity, and some cubes of deer make a fine meal. Shame we can't get Justian Wilson anymore. I dearly loved to see him cook with a special kind of humor.
    For a casting spoon, I use the better grade of SS kitchen tools that Wally World sells. I also use a modified bakers spatula to scrape the sides and bottom.
    I found that scraping the pot with paint sticks did flux the melt, but left too much carbon stuck in the pot.
    Last edited by mold maker; 04-07-2017 at 01:42 PM.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    i make my own spoons....i cast them out of wheel weight lead.

but i can never seem to find it when i'm casting....they'll turn up.

Check out you tube. Lots of his old shows.

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    Shame we can't get Justian Wilson anymore. I dearly loved to see him cook with a special kind of humor.
    For a casting spoon, I use the better grade of SS kitchen tools that Wally World sells.