Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 14" - No NFA Stamp Required,

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Take it for what it's worth, here is the U. S. Code that defines a short barrel shot gun.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/5845

26 U.S. Code § 5845 - Definitions

(a) Firearm
    The term “firearm” means (1) a shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (2) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (5) any other weapon, as defined in subsection (e); (6) a machinegun; (7) any silencer (as defined in section 921 of title 18, United States Code); and (8) a destructive device. The term “firearm” shall not include an antique firearm or any device (other than a machinegun or destructive device) which, although designed as a weapon, the Secretary finds by reason of the date of its manufacture, value, design, and other characteristics is primarily a collector’s item and is not likely to be used as a weapon.
    (b) Machinegun
    The term “machinegun” means any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger. The term shall also include the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any part designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun, and any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.
    (c) Rifle
    The term “rifle” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire a fixed cartridge.
    (d) Shotgun
    The term “shotgun” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of projectiles (ball shot) or a single projectile for each pull of the trigger, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire a fixed shotgun shell.
    (e) Any other weapon
    The term “any other weapon” means any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive, a pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell, weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire. Such term shall not include a pistol or a revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition.
    (f) Destructive device
    The term “destructive device” means (1) any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas (A) bomb, (B) grenade, (C) rocket having a propellent charge of more than four ounces, (D) missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce, (E) mine, or (F) similar device; (2) any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter, except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Secretary finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes; and (3) any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into a destructive device as defined in subparagraphs (1) and (2) and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled. The term “destructive device” shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to the provisions of section 4684(2), 4685, or 4686 of title 10 of the United States Code; or any other device which the Secretary finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, or is an antique or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting purposes.
    (g) Antique firearm
    The term “antique firearm” means any firearm not designed or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898 (including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1898) and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.
    (h) Unserviceable firearm
    The term “unserviceable firearm” means a firearm which is incapable of discharging a shot by means of an explosive and incapable of being readily restored to a firing condition.
    (i) Make
    The term “make”, and the various derivatives of such word, shall include manufacturing (other than by one qualified to engage in such business under this chapter), putting together, altering, any combination of these, or otherwise producing a firearm.
    (j) Transfer
    The term “transfer” and the various derivatives of such word, shall include selling, assigning, pledging, leasing, loaning, giving away, or otherwise disposing of.
    (k) Dealer
    The term “dealer” means any person, not a manufacturer or importer, engaged in the business of selling, renting, leasing, or loaning firearms and shall include pawnbrokers who accept firearms as collateral for loans.
    (l) Importer
    The term “importer” means any person who is engaged in the business of importing or bringing firearms into the United States.
    (m) Manufacturer
    The term “manufacturer” means any person who is engaged in the business of manufacturing firearms.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    Take it for what it's worth, here is the U. S. Code that defines a short barrel shot gun.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/5845

26 U.S. Code § 5845 - Definitions

(a) Firearm
    The term “firearm” means (1) a shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (2) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (5) any other weapon, as defined in subsection (e); (6) a machinegun; (7) any silencer (as defined in section 921 of title 18, United States Code); and (8) a destructive device. The term “firearm” shall not include an antique firearm or any device (other than a machinegun or destructive device) which, although designed as a weapon, the Secretary finds by reason of the date of its manufacture, value, design, and other characteristics is primarily a collector’s item and is not likely to be used as a weapon.
    (b) Machinegun
    The term “machinegun” means any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger. The term shall also include the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any part designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun, and any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.
    (c) Rifle
    The term “rifle” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire a fixed cartridge.
    (d) Shotgun
    The term “shotgun” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of projectiles (ball shot) or a single projectile for each pull of the trigger, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire a fixed shotgun shell.
    (e) Any other weapon
    The term “any other weapon” means any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive, a pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell, weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire. Such term shall not include a pistol or a revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition.
    (f) Destructive device
    The term “destructive device” means (1) any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas (A) bomb, (B) grenade, (C) rocket having a propellent charge of more than four ounces, (D) missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce, (E) mine, or (F) similar device; (2) any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter, except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Secretary finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes; and (3) any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into a destructive device as defined in subparagraphs (1) and (2) and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled. The term “destructive device” shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to the provisions of section 4684(2), 4685, or 4686 of title 10 of the United States Code; or any other device which the Secretary finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, or is an antique or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting purposes.
    (g) Antique firearm
    The term “antique firearm” means any firearm not designed or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898 (including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1898) and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.
    (h) Unserviceable firearm
    The term “unserviceable firearm” means a firearm which is incapable of discharging a shot by means of an explosive and incapable of being readily restored to a firing condition.
    (i) Make
    The term “make”, and the various derivatives of such word, shall include manufacturing (other than by one qualified to engage in such business under this chapter), putting together, altering, any combination of these, or otherwise producing a firearm.
    (j) Transfer
    The term “transfer” and the various derivatives of such word, shall include selling, assigning, pledging, leasing, loaning, giving away, or otherwise disposing of.
    (k) Dealer
    The term “dealer” means any person, not a manufacturer or importer, engaged in the business of selling, renting, leasing, or loaning firearms and shall include pawnbrokers who accept firearms as collateral for loans.
    (l) Importer
    The term “importer” means any person who is engaged in the business of importing or bringing firearms into the United States.
    (m) Manufacturer
    The term “manufacturer” means any person who is engaged in the business of manufacturing firearms.
    Note that these weapons are not made from a shotgun and never had a stock, and are over 26" long. As they were never intended to be fire from the shoulder, they cannot be a shotgun in the configuration sold.

Boolit Master
    I really don't want one but I really think it points to how stupid the laws are I think everything under 26 inches should be a handgun and everything over a long gun who cares if it is rifled or smooth bore just simplify.

but like a Thompson contender if you first remove the short barrel from your gun then the grip then add the stock , then attach the 18 inch barrel it can become a shotgun then go back to being a pistol

it can all get very confusing and there are legal ways to do these things like this gun but how is LE to know at a glance if it is or isn't it would take verifying how it was purchased or running the serial number. of course since there is a legal way merely seeing one would not be probable cause for a stop.

with hings like an AR pistol if you purchase as a other technically you need to make it a pistol then a rifle if you want to be able to go back and forth but how would anyone ever know you if you screwed the pistol buffer tube on first or second.
    Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 02-02-2017 at 12:19 PM.
    Whatever you be , Be a good one

Boolit Grand Master

You don't need a pistol buffer. Put the buttstock on last. Before that it's not meant to be shouldered. It's going to be their word against yours regardless of how it's done.

Repeal the NFA. There I fixed it. Bartenders rejoice. Your gun has arrived. And if you keep it in your car keep the paperwork handy for the inevitable conversation with the police if stopped for a taillight out. No thanks for me. My 18" 870 regular stock is more effective. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    You don't need a pistol buffer. Put the buttstock on last. Before that it's not meant to be shouldered. It's going to be their word against yours regardless of how it's done.
    I wanted to be absolutely sure I could say I followed the law exactly so I built it with a KAK tube and brace.

I could see this being very handy for fishing , well Alaskan fishing a lot of guides carried a shotgun when guiding fishing near bears , this just makes it easier to carry. not that the 18 inch barrel and shorter pistol grip made it much different to carry.

this would have the added benefit if it is considered a handgun of being able to be loaded in the vehicle , In WIS we can not carry loaded long guns in vehicles but we can loaded handguns and with no license so long as you stay away form schools.

Seems pretty useless to me. Accuracy would suck without the third lock-up point on your body, making it an excessively recoiling, clumsy overly long handgun.

I'm glad people who want one can have it. Constitutionally I'm all for them. Don't look for me to ever own or fire one.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master

I not sure that is for me but a SBS would be nice. I like coach guns ya know SBS.

Moderator Emeritus

Does it come with screw in chokes???

It would be even sillier with screw in chokes. Years ago I fired a box of shells through a 12 ga. Mossberg Persuader. I did not like it. Look for it to be a TV&movie star.

Boolit Master
    Stainless steel and you have the Alaskan boonie gun of all time. What's not to like? It's a niche filler. Good for Mossberg! I like their style more and more.

Boolit Master
    There's a demand or Mossberg wouldn't have made it. And its doubtful they made the gun, just hoping it would be legal. That they asked and have a letter saying it's legal. Yes they can always change their mind, but a judge would look at both letters and say make up you mind FIRST, then press charges.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    There's a demand or Mossberg wouldn't have made it. And its doubtful they made the gun, just hoping it would be legal. That they asked and have a letter saying it's legal. Yes they can always change their mind, but a judge would look at both letters and say make up you mind FIRST, then press charges.
    well it did not go so well for the Akins accelerator.. He had 2 approval letters a year apart .. Started producing and selling his stocks then it was ruled a NFA item .. Bankrupt real quick
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    Completely wrong. Let's say you make a product that the has approved. ATF changes it's mind and your company has to pay a lawyer to bring your case to court. In the mean time your business may have no income because you can't sell your product. The ATF has all the power in this situation. I've shied away from slide/bump fire stocks because of this. All it takes is for them to change their mind and you're a felon if you possess one.

Boolit Grand Master

In the past when the BATF changed it position they prosecuted zero individuals that purchased the items like welded M-14s receivers and the 410 Contender. In the case of the M-14 the owners did have to turn them in since their was no legal licensing under Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    In the past when the BATF changed it position they prosecuted zero individuals that purchased the items like welded M-14s receivers and the 410 Contender. In the case of the M-14 the owners did have to turn them in since their was no legal licensing under Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986.
    ....and those owners were compensated how much for their receivers?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

When you absolutely positively have to destroy everything in the room.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master
    I guess the real question would be is it worth the added cost currently selling for $389 on buds guns when you can have 2 extra rounds but about 4 inches longer in a persuader with a 20 inch barrel for a hundred less new.

or 1 more round in an 18 inch barrel at about the same length with the more vertical pistol grip

or use Mossbergs sell for about 150 to 200 around here all the time cut it down add a 25 dollar pistol grip and be done potentially for under 200 dollars with a 28 inch gun

it depends how worth it it is to

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE View Post
    I guess the real question would be is it worth the added cost currently selling for $389 on buds guns when you can have 2 extra rounds but about 4 inches longer in a persuader with a 20 inch barrel for a hundred less new.

or 1 more round in an 18 inch barrel at about the same length with the more vertical pistol grip

or use Mossbergs sell for about 150 to 200 around here all the time cut it down add a 25 dollar pistol grip and be done potentially for under 200 dollars with a 28 inch gun

it depends how worth it it is to
    You make a very compelling point.

I filed a Form 1 to SBS a Remington 870 express that I bought for $175. I already own the hacksaw, so total cost will be $375 for a 12.5" that I know is legal.

One real potential upside of the Mossberg is that since it isn't a NFA item you don't have to ask permission to take it across state lines.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.