Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody reload for Glock 20?

Anybody reload for Glock 20?

Hey crew, I'm looking to pickup a Glock 20 tomorrow in the legendary 10mm round. Being as this is not a super cheap round, I hope to reload for it to cut some costs. I have heard of the infamous Glock bulge or "smilie" in brass from of the .40 cal Glocks, but haven't been able to find a general consensus on whether the 10mm shows those same problems. Does anyone here have a Glock in 10mm and reload for it that could answer this question?

Thanks!

Boolit Master
    Mine did/does with factory barrel. I've switched it out for a Lone Wolff 6" barrel. Better for lead IMHO (let the arguments begin) and more support in the feed ramp area.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Grand Master

I reload for mine w/ the stock barrel in 10mm. It doesn't bulge the brass. I have an aftermarket barrel for it but that's chambered in 357 Sig.

At some point I would probably wind up picking up an aftermarket barrel for boolits, suppressor, etc. In the meantime, it sounds as if it they are fine to reload as long as I don't hot rod the rounds.

Boolit Grand Master

I load to max. I'm not trying to achieve Underwood levels if that's what you consider hit rodding.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I load to max. I'm not trying to achieve Underwood levels if that's what you consider hit rodding.
    I would consider that hot rodding. I think if I ever have a desire for that, I'll just buy new from Underwood. I'm thinking for plinking ammo I might buy a LWD .40 barrel also.

Boolit Buddy
    Lone wolf also makes a 40 S&W conversion barrel that could get you a little more trigger time. 10mm brass doesn't come cheap, at least in my neck of the woods. I don't have a 20 but my shooting buddy has one and the conversion barrel. No problems after two years.

Quote Originally Posted by emorris View Post
    Lone wolf also makes a 40 S&W conversion barrel that could get you a little more trigger time. 10mm brass doesn't come cheap, at least in my neck of the woods. I don't have a 20 but my shooting buddy has one and the conversion barrel. No problems after two years.
    That's the barrel I was thinking about getting. I've never had or reloaded for a 10mm or .40, so it'll all be new to me

Boolit Master
    I reload about 2-3K rounds of 10MM per year and shoot it all,up through several guns including a Model 20 and Model 40 MOS. I load everything from DRT 105 grain all the way up to hardcast 220 grain. I have a Hornady progressive press setup just for 10MM. It's a great and easy cartridge to reload for with tremendous flexibility and with a wide range of applications.

Banned

If I really push mine I get the bulge. Back off from top end book loads about a grain (that's with something like aa9 or 110) and it doesn't seem to happen. Actually bought a lone wolf barrel for mine because everyone said glock barrels and cast doesn't mix. I had reliability problems (tight chamber) and sent it back. Supposidly they fixed it but it still didn't run like the factory barrel. Did some testing and found that my factory barrel actually outshot the wolf barrel with cast and didn't lead a bit. Ended up selling the lone wolf barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had to really push the envelope with 200 gr bullets with 800X to get the bulge.

Banned
    I'll agree with Lloyd. You have to push the snot out of them to get the cases to bulge. Back off from maximum and the cases are fine. I liked 2400 for mine.

I have cast the Lee TL 401-175-TC and NOE 403-200-fn with coww+ 2% tin. Found a lot of good loads on this forum. Never observed bulged brass in the stock barrel or very good accuracy. The only ammo the stock barrel seems to like is Armscor 180 grain fmj.
    If you buy a Lone Wolf barrel, slug it before you use it. After sending the first one ( .402" I.d.) back...I used the replacement (.401" I.d.) for several months. Only slightly better accuracy than the stock barrel. Went hog wild and got a Bar-Sto two port barrel. Lot more money but it shoots Lead and Hornady bullets with amazing accuracy. Went through 500 pieces of Starline brass, loaded with the Lee, NOE, Hornady 180 grain fmj, and Hornady 155 grain hp/xtp. Makes for a heavy ammo box.
    "Semper quaerendo plumbum"

Banned

funny thing is out of all my glocks, M&Ps and sigs my 20 is the most accurate black gun I have. No problem shooting 1.5 inch at 25 yards with most loads
    Quote Originally Posted by spfd1903 View Post
    I have cast the Lee TL 401-175-TC and NOE 403-200-fn with coww+ 2% tin. Found a lot of good loads on this forum. Never observed bulged brass in the stock barrel or very good accuracy. The only ammo the stock barrel seems to like is Armscor 180 grain fmj.
    If you buy a Lone Wolf barrel, slug it before you use it. After sending the first one ( .402" I.d.) back...I used the replacement (.401" I.d.) for several months. Only slightly better accuracy than the stock barrel. Went hog wild and got a Bar-Sto two port barrel. Lot more money but it shoots Lead and Hornady bullets with amazing accuracy. Went through 500 pieces of Starline brass, loaded with the Lee, NOE, Hornady 180 grain fmj, and Hornady 155 grain hp/xtp. Makes for a heavy ammo box.

Boolit Master
    I have a ported Lone wolf 10mm/40 cal barrel for my GL20 and all it shoot is lead /no bulge but I see no need to push .40 cal either,that"s what the 10 mm is for .

Now that i have found accurate loads with the replacement barrel, i should run them through the oem tube. My Glock 23 shoots very accurate boolits through the stock barrel.
    "Semper quaerendo plumbum"

Thank you to everyone for their experience! I appreciate it, and should be picking it up in a few hours!

I have a first generation 20.
    I load 200 gr jacketed pretty much wide open, although I have a 6" ported barrel as recoil is substantial.
    Everybody grab a shovel, we got a swamp to drain.

Well, went and picked it up today. It was actally a 20SF, they didn't tell me that on the phone. No matter, I liked it a lot. It was used, but looked like it had never been fired.

Now to get some reloads going for it. Thanks to all who gave their input!

Boolit Grand Master
    My Glock 29 SF does not produce "Glock smilies" on its brass. This applies to Win Silvertip-level loadings.....175 grainers @ 1150 FPS. Same story with loads that duplicate that performance--180 grain Hornady HAP atop 10.0 grain of Alliant Blue Dot and CCI 300 primers. None of my 3rd Generation Glock 40 S&Ws have produced smilies, either. Once I get going with cast bullets, some sort of aftermarket barrel will join the herd.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.