RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617

Thread: Ruger's New GP100 44SPL--Got One!

Darn weather. Rained on and off most of the day. Maybe I'll have better luck tomorrow or Friday.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Warts and all I still want one!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pistolero49 View Post
    I plan on trying out various cast and coated bullets for my refurbished GP100 44 Special. I recently received a sample pack of 25 polymer coated 240 grain SWC .430 bullets from Bad Guy Bullets. These bullets drop right through the cylinder. I am interested in a load that comes close to the original old factory load. May order a hundred of these sized to .431.
    Any updates for us?

I just haven't had the time to get out lately unfortunately.

Boolit Master

I have been working with the Accurate Molds 43-250m. Casts at 245 gr and I have tried it with 2400 and Power Pistol. So far so good!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    Any updates for us?

I just haven't had the time to get out lately unfortunately.

No updates at this time. We have a week and a half left a three week vacation in Laughlin, NV. I have a brand new Simply Rugged Cattleman cross draw holster for my GP44 waiting for me when I get back and some ammo loaded. When I return I'll be busting some caps.
    Pistolero49

NRA Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer * GSSF Member
    Good Sam Club Life Member
    Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, Inc.

Vendor Sponsor

So are these guns fixed or not? Nobody has commented on them for several months.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Sent mine in last week. They scrapped it and are sending a replacement. I'll post on what it looks like.

Boolit Master

Here is a cut and paste from the other thread in case anyone is interested.

Ok, here are the specs as received right out of the box.

S/N 178-510xx
    Throats: .431 Go---.432 No/Go
    Bore: .415 slides right through--.416 sticks at the receiver threads
    Barrel/Cylinder Gap: .006
    End-shake: less than .001 (best I have seen)
    Front sight/Barrel Gap: .008
    Rear Sight/Receiver Slot Slop: .010 (This irritates me more than the front sight gap)
    Double Action Pull: 9lbs
    Single Action Pull: 4lbs
    Passed a range rod check

Sorry Have not slugged the bore yet...

First One as Received:

S/N 178-329xx
    Throats: .434 go .435 No/Go
    Bore: .416 slides right through just a hint of choke at the threads
    Grooves: Slugged at .431
    Barrel/Cylinder Gap: .008 (New) Increased to .012 when I sent it back...
    End-shake: Did Not Measure
    Front sight/Barrel Gap: Did Not Measure--Appeared Worse Than Current Model
    Rear Sight/Receiver Slot Slop: .017
    Double Action Pull: 10.5 lbs
    Single Action Pull: 4.5 lbs
    Passed a range rod check

With an 11 Lb hammer spring an 8 lb trigger return spring, some trigger/hammer shims and minor polishing, I had the pulls last measured at:
    8 lb Double Action
    2.5 lb Single Action

So I will shoot the new one hopefully this weekend or next and let you know if it is accurate. The last one was OK so I certainly hope this one will be...

I've shot mine quite a bit now with a variety of bullet weights, both jacketed and cast, with several powders. I've loaded to standard pressure and I've also loaded to Skeeter and Keith levels.

In my experience the little Ruger is happiest with 180-200gr bullets. All these weights shoot pretty well. Anything heavier is hit or miss, literally. Commercial 240gr .430" bullets don't shoot well at all. Sizing .432-.433 helps but isn't really worth the squeeze as I haven't seen enough improvement to bother with the heavier bullets at all. With that said, the Montana Bullet Works Authentic Keith has been a good bullet. When sized to the throats it is the only heavy bullet I've been able to get consistent and repeatable accuracy with.

All the twist calculators, etc tell me the 1x20 twist is fine but I still can't help but wonder what would happen if Ruger went with a 1x18 twist. Would this be the
    change that makes the GP shoot well with pretty much everything? Maybe, maybe not. But I can't imagine it would hurt anything. I guess we'll never know...

I really like the size and heft and could be perfectly happy with 180gr XTPs and 200gr Gold Dots. But I still want the gun to work with other stuff too.

Here is something to think about when shopping for factory defensive ammo. Note the velocities obtained from both the 3 and 4 inch barrels.

While probably not a huge concern for members of this forum it would seem most factory JHP ammo is really handicapped by the 15,500psi SAAMI limit. Even modern bullets like the Barnes didn't work at Special velocity.

And while many loads penetrated into the 12-18in range only the 200gr Gold Dot penetrated and expanded. The Critical Defense expanded wonderfully put fell short slightly in penetration. It also wasn't quite as accurate as some of the other ammo. I believe the bullet's driving surface my be short. Probably not a deal breaker if you're using a 2 inch Bulldog at 7 yards....

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...ial-cartridge/

Boolit Buddy
    No updates at this time. We have a week and a half left a three week vacation in Laughlin, NV. I have a brand new Simply Rugged Cattleman cross draw holster for my GP44 waiting for me when I get back and some ammo loaded. When I return I'll be busting some caps.
    My GP-100-44 was returned to me with a new cylinder, new barrel with correctly mounted front sight. All five cylinder throats now measure .430.5. The sharp edge around the trigger guard was smoothed out and the scratches were buffed out. The trigger pulled was 4 lbs. single action and 8 lbs. double action when it went out and was returned the same way.

I installed a Warren One Hole rear sight and the smaller GP-100 grips with stag inserts. The stag inserts look good to me and help give me and good grip on the gun.

I recently shot some 250 grain .431 Penn Bullet truncated cone bullet over a charge of Unique. I fired 5 shots double action at 7 yards and got a 2 inch group, 5 shots single action yielded group slightly over an inch. I tried the same at 10 yards with the same results. No problem with leading and I am happy with the groups.

The peep rear sight and orange Hi-Viz insert helped me get on target quickly and easily. Sorry I did not take photos of the targets, it was a quick trip to the local indoor range to try out my hand loads and the Warren One Hole rear sight. I carry it in a left hand cross draw Simply Rugged Cattleman. It started out as a "problem child" but it has now become one of my favorite carry guns and is a "keeper".

With regards,
    Last edited by Pistolero49; 06-23-2017 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Photos added
    Pistolero49

NRA Life Member

My GP-100-44 was returned to me with a new cylinder, new barrel with correctly mounted front sight. All five cylinder throats now measure .430.5. The sharp edge around the trigger guard was smoothed out and the scratches were buffed out. The trigger pulled was 4 lbs. single action and 8 lbs. double action when it went out and was returned the same way.

I installed a Warren One Hole rear sight and the smaller GP-100 grips with stag inserts. The stag inserts look good to me and help give me and good grip on the gun.

I recently shot some 250 grain .431 Penn Bullet truncated cone bullet over a charge of Unique. I fired 5 shots double action at 7 yards and got a 2 inch group, 5 shots single action yielded group slightly over an inch. I tried the same at 10 yards with the same results. No problem with leading and I am happy with the groups.

The peep rear sight and yellow Hi-Viz insert helped me get on target quickly and easily. Sorry I did not take photos of the targets, it was a quick trip to the local indoor range to try out my hand loads and the Warren One Hole rear sight. I carry it in a left hand cross draw Simply Rugged Cattleman. It started out as a "problem child" but it has now become one of my favorite carry guns and is a "keeper".

With regards,
    How's the heavier stuff group at 20 or 25?

Boolit Buddy
    I haven't had the chance to do any 25 yard shooting. I will be taking a week long shooting fest vacation at Whittington Center in Raton, NM. I plan on shooting my .44 at 25 yards with the 240 grain bullets. I will also be doing some 25, 50 and 75 yard shooting with my Lipsey .357 Mag. Flattop 5.5 inch barrel with the Warren One Hole rear sight and some 158 grain SWC boolits. I will take a camera on this trip.

Regards,
    Pistolero49

NRA Life Member

Perma-Banned
    Pistolero49, Nice looking Revolver!! I have a 6" GP-100 .357 Magnum Talo exclusive and absolutely love it!