MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: 9x19 Bunny Gun

Boolit Master

9x19 Bunny Gun

Well then, another project almost complete.

I took an old 12 gauge single-shot shotgun and found a spare barrel and proceeded to build myself a single-shot carbine for woods-walking in my future. I hope to roll a rabbit or a squirrel this year before the seasons expire.

I cut the barrel down to 18 inches and then inserted a 12" barrelled liner that was chambered in 9x19 Luger. I then epoxied the liner in place with Acraglass before installing a sight rail and little 4-power scope. As its configured right now, the old shotgun's extractor isn't long enough to engage the rim of the 9x19 case so I have a small flathead screwhead set into the stock by the buttplate to function as a manual extractor.

The scope may be replaced with a red dot sight simply to lighten it up and also since most shots will remain under 50 yards.

I'm still debating on recutting the chamber to 357-44Bain & Davis at a later date simply to see if I can make it a deer-level stalking rifle.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9x19 bunny gun 1 of 3.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	181288Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9x19 bunny gun 2 of 3.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	181289Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9x19 bunny gun 3 of 3.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	181290
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

I did something similar but I just turned down a barrel section to match the lower barrel on one of my 24's. I chambered it in 357 mag though and not permanent.

Nice on both of 'em
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Wish I had the knowledge and tools to do that kind of stuff! Good stuff guys
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Banned

Been wanting to do this with one in .38 Special or .32 S&W Long. Let us know how this works out.

I have done the same with a UZI 16"barrel. Danged accurate but unsupported rear of chamber left bulged brass so I made it back into an 18"Stevens shotgun. If/when I redo it I'll bush the chamber end for support. Deepening the chamber is not an option with the chrome lining.

I have a 9mm in a H&R Handi rifle that was a stub job. Meaning it started life as a shotgun barrel and was cut down, a 9mm insert was turned to fit inside it. There are several different ways of doing this. I did not do the work but I had the chance to buy the bare barrel for 200$ and snapped it up.

Once I got a scope mounted on it and learned what that little girl wanted boolit wise we were soon stacking them up. It likes .359 better than .358 and my 124 gr .38 Lee mold drops .3595 to .360. I have been shooting them unsized with BLL lube.

It is a very nice, light, handy woods walking gun. I have shot mine with 3 - 4.5 grains of Red Dot.
    Quiet, dependable, no issues no problems.

Yes I could ream it to something with more power but I already have a .357mag handi.

Sometimes small, handy and quiet is good for slipping out into the woods and popping a coon or rabbit.
    Sometimes having something that is totally different than the typical bolt .308 or .30-06 is worth its weight in gold.

Viva la Difference!

I used a milsurp 8x57 Mauser barrel, cut the chamber end off before turning the remaining rear end down to slide into the front of a single-barrel break-open .410 shotgun chamber (all that was left after cutting off the forward 90% of the shotgun barrel).

After epoxying & pinning the milsurp bbl into the stub, I chambered it for the .32S&W - which made a neat/light rook rifle.

So far, I haven't seen the need to bush the shotgun firing pin to a smaller/rifle size.

Last edited by pietro; 12-04-2016 at 11:19 PM.

Boolit Master
    Excellent ideas gents!
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker