Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Black out ????

Black out ????

Ok, I'm going to show my ignorance here. Just what is this 300 black out I keep hearing about and why is everyone going nuts about it?

Short version it's a shortened 223 openned up to 30 caliber and designed to be used in an AR15 rifle.

Long version
    It's the SAAMI registered improved 300 Whisper designed by AAC under Kevin and Robert as improvement on J.D.Jones original design for US Army tests for cartridge for use as super and subsonic military rifle.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.300_AAC_Blackout
    uses bullet from 110 to 250 grains - similar performance to 7.62x39 or .30-30

Cast Boolit friendly
    Last edited by Artful; 11-21-2016 at 10:02 AM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

I question the cartridge value also.
    IMHO it's just because we can.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Buddy
    .300 Whisper, slow, heavy bullet for suppresed use.

I don't have one yet.... or any other black gun. But it is on my list of guns I want.

The things I like are:
    1) the gun is basically an AR except for the barrel and the gas tube. So parts are available.
    2) the Bullet size and speed is more castable than for a 223. (My opinion, I know people cast for 223.)
    3) it uses the same magazines as the AR also.

The down side for me is the lack of readily available brass.

I dont view it as a cure all gun, but it sounds like a lot of fun.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

The 300 blackout is primarily suited for people who use suppressors. That's where the cartridge really shines.

The only thing that's different about the blackout is the barrel used. It even uses a standard AR gas tube, just most of the time in a pistol-length gas system. If you don't mind brass prep, making your own cases from 223 brass or 223 blanks isn't hard, just time consuming. It is a ton of fun to shoot suppressed though. I waited 9 months for my tax stamp to be approved, but it was worth it when I shot it

Boolit Grand Master

i enjoy tinkering with the 300 BLK. You can make your own brass, it's easy on powder and can shoot cast in it. What's not to like? It's just another aspect to the hobby of shooting.

I have one rifle that is Sub MOA out to 300 yards, which is about the limit for a supersonic 110gr pill for me. I use it as a sub 200 yard deer rifle which is a realistic range here in GA, where most shots are under 100 yds. To each there own.

It it keeps the sport active and draws in new shooters.

I bought an upper in 300 blackout and a BCG from Brownell's for my Rock River. I find it easier to get the rifle to cycle at cast bullet velocity with the 30 cal. bullets. Gp

Boolit Buddy

I was unsure of the BO but my buddy wanted an AR so I told him to get it in 300BO, I have been really impressed with the capabilities out to 300 Meters. The main reason I told him to get one is I could cast bullets for it and rounds would be super cheap to make. I plan on getting one in the next few months. As far as suppressed we haven't gone that route yet and probably wont.
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Quote Originally Posted by rond View Post
    .300 Whisper, slow, heavy bullet for suppresed use.
    Not entirely the Army wanted J.D.Jones to come up with a round that they could use subsonic suppressed, true enough but they also wanted with just a change of magazine to have a intermediate combat round at supersonic speeds.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

I bought my 300 Blackout so I could shoot .30 caliber cast bullets in my AR. I love this caliber and primarily shoot the Lee 312-155 at supersonic speeds, they shoot very good. I have also dabbled with heavy 200 gr.+ slugs and they also shoot very well. I have not shot any PC bullets only traditionally lubed slugs (Carnuba Red) and have been very happy with my choice. I guess it comes down to this, if you like to shoot cast bullets and you like the AR platform this is a great choice because the cartridge is made for velocity in the cast bullet range. Yes there are cartridges that will shoot a lot flatter and faster but this is the "Cast Boolit" forum and we work with lead.

Banned

it isn't just for the AR platform.
    any 223 rifle can be made into the 300 with just a barrel change.
    Brass is everywhere and just about everybody is making it.
    Federal,SSA, Brass guy's, never quit.
    some is expensive like 50 per hundred.
    some is not so much, 1-K cases for 165.00 isn't too bad.
    but the ability to launch 100-110gr bullets at little varmints then 130-180gr at deer or hogs and then 230 or so at low & quiet speeds is a pretty good range to cover.

Boolit Buddy

I have 3 and I love them. I love AR's for one. My 16" is my deer/hog/yote rifle. Use 155 gr Lee cast. Excellent in the heavy brush in coastal carolina. 308 caliber that doesn't kick a lot. Easy to cast and reload. Suppressed is where it really shines. Using 220 grain cast for subs. It is reported to have more downrange energy suppressed than any other cartridge. Brass is READILY available. Just shorten the 223 and run it through the sizing die. 223 brass is cheap. My other 2 are SBR's. They are just plain fun.
    Last edited by flyingrhino; 11-21-2016 at 05:29 PM.
    "A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown"

Boolit Master
    I've got a Ruger American in 300 BO. Shooting 240 grain cast bullets suppressed it sounds like a pellet rifle.

It's fun, cast friendly and quiet. FL recently started allowing hunting with suppressors, so if I ever get back into the deer woods, It'll probably be with that rifle and ammo.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    There are different ways to look at the appeal of the 300 bo.

As good as the 5.56X45 Nato round is in the AR platform, some people want different performance. Many people have gotten uppers in 7.62X39 due to cheap ammo but the round has a larger diameter body with greater taper that just doesn't feed 100% through AR magazines. So having 7.62X39 performance in a case that feeds/functions 100% through the AR has an appeal. Yes, the 300 bo supersonic loadings aren't quite as powerful as the 7.62X39, but they are pretty darn close.

Then there is the appeal of shooting suppressed. To really take advantage of a suppressor you need to load subsonic rounds. A 75 gr bullet in a 5.56X45 loaded subsonic is basically double the power of a 22rf. Yes it will penetrate far deeper than many would believe, but with a very small wound channel. So to get the most out of a subsonic round, you really need to increase bullet dia. and weight. The largest diameter caliber one can neck the 5.56X45 up to and still retain a shoulder for chambering is 30 caliber.

Considering it's just a barrel swap (yeah gas block and gas tube) for an AR shooter, it's a fairly inexpensive way to shoot a different caliber especially with .223 brass being inexpensive and often free for range pickup.

Boolit Buddy

I went with 7.62 X40, haven't looked back. Brass readily available. Bought 6 7.62 X40 Lancer mags and modified my 223 mags. Just my opinion. CR

Ok, I finally get it. Cheap shooting in a caliber I like. And I think I have everything on hand except the black rifle. Looks like I'll be doing some shopping. Got to check in on the suppressor though. Do I need a permit to use one?

Boolit Master
    There are more accurate .30 cal. cartridges and the AR crowd has become attached to it, my rifle is a heavily improved 700 action and custom barrel, Jewel trigger, etc. Accuracy for me was with supersonic loads and I could not get it to shoot subsonic, maybe the 1-12 twist is at fault. Either way the .30 br. cartridge is a much more accurate round for boltguns.

Boolit Grand Master

Black out ????

I have the Ruger American Ranch. I love short handy carbines. And it fills that roll perfectly. Making brass is easy, but some brands need to have the necks turned. I'm going to buy Starline brass and be done w/ it. If you shoot w/in it's capabilities it's enough for deer. Once I get a load worked up I may carry it in the field for this purpose. I really like short barrels carbines to accompany me for long walks in the woods.

If semis are approved for hunting here I will build a SBR upper and put a can on it. That's one of the other advantages of the round. The powder is burned up in something like 10" of barrel.

It works out of standard AR mags w/ no modifications. Can't say that for a lot of other wildcats. Ammo is available everywhere. Can't say that for the other ones as well. SAAMI approval has set it on the path to success.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast