MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Filling the freezer

Boolit Master

Filling the freezer

Having passed up several does and small bucks over the past week in hopes of getting a wall hanger, I decided today I needed venison more than antlers. This afternoon two does came down the hill toward my natural material hide. When the bigger one presented broadside, my 300 Blackout AR15 chirped and a 185 gr flat nose cast bullet punched through both shoulders. The mild supersonic crack of the bullet after it cleared the liberty mystic suppressor at 1550 fps was less dramatic than the thwack of the bullet impact.

The doe crumpled then flopped down the hill in a death struggle. The second, slightly smaller doe stood and stared dumbfounded at the event unfolding before her eyes. Before the first doe had gasped her last breath, I drew a bead and let a round loose at the next one. She mule kicked and ran slanting up the hill. She stopped at about 100 yards distant and I lobbed another hunk of lead at her. The second impact sent her scrambling 20 yards further til she lay in a heap.

At this point I was ready to go back to the house to retrieve my son and our two atvs. It would be our first test of the machines at recovering deer. I had already texted him that I had two does down when I heard more noise on the hillside. A third deer was heading in my direction. It was small, a yearling, and I didn't plan to shoot until I noticed one front leg was damaged and useless. Rather than letting it suffer, I squeezed the trigger yet again. When the deer began to hobble away, I sent my last shot at it. It made its way into a thicket which obscured it from view but the loud crashing followed by deathly silence told the story.

A short track job found the button buck piled up right on my atv trail. The two does were not far off. The atvs beat dragging deer hands down! After getting them the 300 yards back to the house, the real work began. I guess the pressure is off and I can try to bow hunt for a buck but the freezer is full.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

In Remembrance

Good job and DARN! I can't even hunt this year due to back trouble. Enjoy that delicioooooous meat.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Banned

Good deal. I need to look into some kind of ATV, the public land I hunt on won't let a vehicle in and where I like to go is about a mil from where I can get the truck. The muscle powered cart helps. A sled is good if there's snow, but all of these methods aren't getting any easier as I age.

Boolit Grand Master

Good job! All that meat on the table makes my shoulders ache just to look at it. A full freezer certainly changes one's perspective! I still have 20 #'s of venison in the freezer so I'm "one and done" when I do get to go hunting and quite frankly looking forward to being camp cook.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

If anyone wants to know, the gun is self assembled:
    CMMG 12.5" 1:7 twist pistol gas.
    Aero Precision upper and BCG
    Surplus Ammo and Arms Lower with CMMG standard parts kit.
    Rock River pistol buffer tube with SigTac brace
    12" YHM free float handguard
    Vortex Strikefire red dot optic (2x magnifier was not used)
    Liberty Mystic (not X) suppressor
    20 round PMags with 5 round limiters (KY requires 10 round magazine limit. I was only able to find 5 round limiters)

The Load
    Brass formed from LC 5.56
    15gr IMR 4227
    CCI 41 primer
    Lee C309-170F (30-30 bullet does great in my AR)
    50/50 COWW/Pure Aircooled Alox lubed copper gas check, 180 grains from mold, about 185 with lube and check
    Chronograph is about 1550 plus a few. Shoots 2" at 100 yards which is the best I can do with max 2x magnification.
    Punched through 3 gallon jugs of water, stopped in the fourth, expanded to 50+caliber weighing 165ish grains

My son got a button buck with this gun and load last year, which was the first for this gun and first with my cast bullets
    Then I took a 10 pointer with the same. Suffice to say, at ranges inside 100 yards, this is a potent combination.
    I'm not hunting open fields, so 100 yards is the longest shot I'm likely to get.

Banned
    nice!!!!!

Boolit Master
    Good job Petroid. Meat in the freezer indeed.

Thanks for sharing. That table full of meat is my idea of a trophy shot.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Nice job!

I'm surprised you are using gas checked boolits with a suppressor. I had always heard that could cause problems. Glad it works for you though! I wish I could get out hunting with my blackout, but nowhere to go this year

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Good deal. I need to look into some kind of ATV, the public land I hunt on won't let a vehicle in and where I like to go is about a mil from where I can get the truck. The muscle powered cart helps. A sled is good if there's snow, but all of these methods aren't getting any easier as I age.
    What part of Kansas are you hunting?
    Bad boy buggies are battery operated Side-by-side, Quietkate is a off road scooter,I have to use a track driven electric Wheelchair" Action Tracker" but they aren't cheap. I miss Kansas hunting some thing BAD. Texas has all the game one could ever want,but hunting just isn't the same when it hot weather.
    Good luck
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master

The gas check is crimped on and doesn't come off even on recovered bullets

Quote Originally Posted by petroid View Post
    The gas check is crimped on and doesn't come off even on recovered bullets
    Very cool! Congrats again!

Boolit Master

Nice work. Time to go freezer shopping!
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

YUM deer jerky