Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Over pressure, now stuck brass.

Over pressure, now stuck brass.

I have a Springfield XDM 40 that I fired a very high pressure load in. When the cartridge ejected only half of it went. The other half is very stuck in the chamber.
    How do I get it out.
    Attachment 180232

A pm'ed suggestion from a member similar to slugging a barrel, worked.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wyofool View Post
    A pm'ed suggestion from a member similar to slugging a barrel, worked.
    Glad that worked. Sometimes a bore brush will pull the case out.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

That was suggested also but after the two lead slugs did the trick.

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    I buggered up the chamber of a Lee Enfield rifle after all other avenues of extracting a broken shell failed. In an act of sheer stupidity I thought if I could force a small flat screw driver between the brass and the chamber wall, I could then bend the brass away from the chamber wall to then get some long needle-nose pliers in there to extract the broken case.

All I managed to do was gouge the wall of the chamber. I did get the shell out by this means but at a high cost. I had to re-barrel that particular rifle. What I did after that incident was build a shell extractor that consisted of a threading-tap welded to the end of a short length of metal rod. Conventional broken shell extractors were useless for me on this particular chambering. They would not grab the insides of the brass with enough force so they'd just slip out with nothing to show for it.

I don't believe that brass of this type can expand enough (no matter how high-pressure the round) to actually hold fast. It's just that such a perfect zero-tolerance fit that's created that it leaves us with no place to latch onto to extract that, it gives the perception that it's stuck in place. With the thread-tap extractor I made, all I had to do was to carefully insert it into the stuck brass without making any contact with the chamber itself, Spin the tap just enough to let the teeth grip the inside walls of the brass and extract.

The ease with which the broken shells extract using this method is testament to just how zero the tolerance is between the brass and the chamber wall. They are never stuck fast like they seem to be.

I don't know the full details of the OP's situation but, using the threading-tap method might have worked out real well since on a pistol, we can remove the barrel to have full access to the chamber area; and, you wouldn't have to weld an extension onto the tap itself. You just pick the correct diameter tap, insert, twist and extract.

HollowPoint

Boolit Mold
    I've usually gotten them out by slugging the bore, but some will cast them in Cerrosafe and, if needed, a large screw extractor works.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk