Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Ammunition Fire video from SAAMI

Moderator Emeritus

Ammunition Fire video from SAAMI

I came across an interesting video produced by the Small Arms Ammunition Manufacturer's Institute where several different paradigms were filmed of live ammunition being burned. I found it quite interesting, with but two minor criticisms: 1/ The apparent absence of any rim-fire ammunition's use in tests; and 2/ The spectacular semi-trailer ammunition fire was staged with the trailer's rear doors open (?????). Re #1, I'd have liked to see the 65-foot case drop test done with, say, .22 long rifle cartridges; re #2, how many tractor-trailers drive down the road, loaded with ammunition, with both rear doors wide open?

However, as -- I don't know about you, but I do have a covert fear re us sleeping upstairs with ammo in the basement -- should there (God forbid!) be a fire... Much less, too, danger to responding volunteers -- which makes this, at the least, an interesting view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c

BEST!
    georgerkahn

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Over 400,000 rounds used in the test very interesting
    Black Powder would be a different story
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Grand Master

Cool video. Thanks for posting.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    interesting
    Black Powder would be a different story
    So would components. And ammo does pose a risk. Bullets are propelled through an ammo can. Normal chemicals you have in your home are still a greater hazard.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    So would components. And ammo does pose a risk. Bullets are propelled through an ammo can. Normal chemicals you have in your home are still a greater hazard.
    "And ammo does pose a risk. Bullets are propelled through an ammo can."

Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you watch the video?

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I came across an interesting video produced by the Small Arms Ammunition Manufacturer's Institute where several different paradigms were filmed of live ammunition being burned. I found it quite interesting, with but two minor criticisms: 1/ The apparent absence of any rim-fire ammunition's use in tests; and 2/ The spectacular semi-trailer ammunition fire was staged with the trailer's rear doors open (?????). Re #1, I'd have liked to see the 65-foot case drop test done with, say, .22 long rifle cartridges; re #2, how many tractor-trailers drive down the road, loaded with ammunition, with both rear doors wide open?

However, as -- I don't know about you, but I do have a covert fear re us sleeping upstairs with ammo in the basement -- should there (God forbid!) be a fire... Much less, too, danger to responding volunteers -- which makes this, at the least, an interesting view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c

BEST!
    georgerkahn

True, but the fire would not have burned nearly as well with no air with the doors sealed. It would have smouldered away until enough air could get to it (most trailers like that in Australia are aluminium sided and the aluminium would melt easily enough), to make it burn properly. Of course, once the trailer sides burnt through, that would be the end of the pressure and it would have reverted to a fire just like in the video. The only difference would have been the fire fighters having a harder time putting the wet stuff on the hot stuff.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    "And ammo does pose a risk. Bullets are propelled through an ammo can."

Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you watch the video?
    Yes, I've watched that video and others. Bullets are propelled through ammo cans in a fire. Not a lot of them. But they still make it through. Now tell me if you want to get hit by one that made it through? A single video can not possibly show every possible scenario.

Boolit Master

Yes, I've watched that video and others. Bullets are propelled through ammo cans in a fire. Not a lot of them. But they still make it through. Now tell me if you want to get hit by one that made it through? A single video can not possibly show every possible scenario.
    There are some people that will argue about anything even when the proof right before there eyes.

The firefighters stood right out side the door and the trailer. Just in there turn out gear.
    Being as I have walk this walk in turn out gear myself.

Watch the WHOLE video Gentlemen it speaks for itself.

Black Powder is much more dangerous!

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Can you post a link to a video showing bullets exiting a can in a fire. Ive seen a few videos but none have shown any bullets exiting. It would be interesting to see.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    P.O. Ackley tested that, and the projectiles didn't even penetrate a cardboard box.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

In Remembrance

I think it was during Townshend Whalen's time with the NRA: they dropped boxes and cases of .22 rimfire from considerable heights and got...............dented ammo. And yes, P.O. Ackley couldn't get the projectiles to penetrate the cardboard box. IIRC I read of those tests in the Rifleman as a younker, but......
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    P.O. Ackley tested that, and the projectiles didn't even penetrate a cardboard box.
    Which is what the above video confirmed with 12 gauge and the 500 smith and 416 Remington didn't penetrate Sheetrock.

Boolit Grand Master

I watched a fire demonstration online and ammo did not pass through normal sheetrock walls
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit master, you should read: Ammunition in a Fire, by Maj. Gen. Julian S Hatcher, USA (Ret) it is very interesting compared to what you saw, Fivefang

Boolit Master
    What I wonder is this - do any firefighters ever watch these videos? Their attitude to a house fire that contains ammo and powder is normally 'watch it burn,' and make sure it doesn't spread to adjoining structures.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master

General Hatcher wrote about this in one of his books. It seems like ammo in a fire is fairly harmless. Now, a loaded firearm in a fire is another animal. The Firemen that I know are much more afraid of the propane tank on your grill than ammo. Cool Video by the way!

Burning powder doesn't need a source of oxygen to burn, it makes it's own oxygen.

Good shooting

Lindy