Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30M1 Carbine reloading problems

Boolit Mold
    This is the decapping pin from my RCBS sizing die. Ain't that an expander ball?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pin.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	362.9 KB 
ID:	176526

Boolit Master
    The .30 Carbine when reloaded will normally have the bulge shown. I load it with RCBS dies bought long before Lee started making dies.

If you want to get rid of the bulge buy a steel sizer die and polish die out (using a lathe) until it sizes the brass about .003 smaller than a loaded round. Right now it is probably sizing about .007" to .010" under size.
    This will size the brass enough that it has to be expanded only .001" to .002". In the Phils that would be .025mm to .050mm
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm not sure, but I think only shouldered shells use an expander ball.
    The neck is sized smaller than finished sizing, and the expander ball brings it up to the correct size.
    On straight case shells, the die sizes to the correct size. The depriming rod and pin holder does not have anything to do with sizing the shell.
    You can get different size expander balls for RCBS, Lyman, Redding dies.
    With the Lee dies you'll need to change the depriming rod. The sizing ball and rod are one piece.
    While the 30 Carbine looks like a straigh wall case, it has a slight taper when sized.
    By backing out the sizing die, you reduce the taper, bringing the neck closer to the size of bullet used.
    My 30 Carbine reloads all have the bulge.
    Might not look factory, but they do work.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Don View Post
    This is the decapping pin from my RCBS sizing die. Ain't that an expander ball?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pin.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	362.9 KB 
ID:	176526
    It is, but it depends on what your sizing.
    The ball, center section, can be changed to different sizes to change the size of the neck opening.
    The rod and pin are the same for almost all RCBS sizing dies. The ball is changed to size the neck to the proper caliber.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    It is, but it depends on what your sizing.
    The ball, center section, can be changed to different sizes to change the size of the neck opening.
    The rod and pin are the same for almost all RCBS sizing dies. The ball is changed to size the neck to the proper caliber.
    I should have said that it is for .30 Carbine. I don't get the bulge on my bullets. I load Extreme and Berrys 110g round nose plated advertised at .308.

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	301.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	486.8 KB 
ID:	176623

Boolit Master

It is apparent that the full length sizer reduces the case diameter more than required. The bullet then expands the case leaving a smaller diameter below it. The expander on the decapping rod should increase the case diameter below the bullet. Personally, I would want to open up the sizing die body to minimize working the brass any more than is necessary. A chamber cast would show actual chamber size, and a cast of the die would show how much to remove from it and where it should be removed. Comparison of chamber and die dimensions to SAAMI specs might indicate less modification to leave the dies useful for other rifles.

Boolit Master
    The 30 Carbine die set should be 3 dies as it is an almost straight case. The first die sizes and deprimes. The second die has the expander ball. The third die seats the bullet and also crimps if desired.

Boolit Master
    One die you can explore is the RCBS file trim die. Most of these dies are similar to a FL die except they are .010 larger than a FL die at the case mouth.
    You can check with RCBS for the die dims. Sometimes they will tell you. Sometimes not.

I have a RCBS .38-55 file trim die that used with the right brass sizes brass to the correct size that only requires a little flare and no expanding. Seated bullets produce no bulge.
    EDG

Boolit Master

I just loaded four hundred rounds .30 carbine using newly acquired Lee (w /carbide sizer)die set. The 200 LC brass that had been previously sized using a Lee Classic pound-in die, show no bulge loaded to 1.680" COL with Xtreme 110 plated RN. I sized 200 more W-W, R-P, Aquila & misc head stamp brass with the Lee carbide die, set per instructions (just touching shell holder at top of stroke) & all have a concentric bulge at bottom of bullet. I have to agree with others, the Lee carbide die squeezed cases down too much. Going to back it out some until I get it right.
    Another thing I noticed, I used to measure & trim .30 brass (to 1.280") after sizing in Lee Classic sleeve. Tried this on the misc brass sized in Lee carbide die & found the trimmer pilot difficult / or harder to get into the case mouth. I think this is another indication I've set the sizer die too tight.
    lastly the Lee shell holder that came with the die set doesn't grip the brass all that tight. Not a show stopper but i feel it requires a little more care to align brass / bullet / die for seating & crimp.

Boolit Master
    Straight wall" die sets usually have a decap pin in the sizer but they can't have an expander in the sizer.

Straight wall case expanders usually have a flaring cone that allows the user to make sure the bullet's base can enter the case without shaving the heels. Lyman's "M" expander (and Redding's copy) is the best expander made (for straight or bottle neck cases) but the user has to adjust it correctly to do it's job. Seems a lot of people don't push their expanders in far enough for the flare to contact the mouth. Or they over do it and ruin the case.

Off center neck bulges have nothing to do with presses, seater dies or shell holders. When a case neck is squeezed down more than is needed (and that's common), the expander or bullet itself must expand it back up. Necks usually have a thin or soft side and that's where most of the stretching/bulging occurs. Shell holders only need enough grip to pull the cases out of the dies, shell holders do nothing useful for centering anything, the dies do that.

The .30 Carbine cartridge does have a noticeable taper. Sizers MUST size case necks correctly, therefore cardide sizers - all of them - WILL make the cases a true cylinder; a straight wall. Thus, there is always excessive sizing of the body when using carbide sizers and "coke bottle" finished cartridges are the norm. Nothing is gained by sizing a straight case as far down as you can push it in a carbide die.

I don't like that and usually use my old steel sizers to avoid the look and to avoid over working hard to find cases. That doesn't mean the bulgy cartridges don't work as well as any.
    Last edited by 1hole; 09-19-2016 at 06:57 PM.

Boolit Master
    you didnt say what brass you used , military is thicker and will cause it to under size. I dont run my mil cases only about 1/2 in to resizer

I did run a couple of brass last night, backing out the lee sizing die a couple of turns and when I seat the bullet, 2 out 10, I got a nice clean no bulge ammo! But I already did order the dillon die, so, I must wait. Next week it would be here and I can do some test.

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    I have learned to use exclusively, Lyman "M" Series dies when sizing cases for semi autos or slide action rifles.

I've done many concentricity studies -- using the included ball or what-evah sizing widget as in: expander, compared to "NO EXPANDER", opening the neck after sizing with the "M" die.

There was absolutely NO CONTEST.

---> The results, while having small sample sizes, were startling.

For non-critical ammo on my Dillon 550, I put a LEE or RCBS decapper in stage position 1, with the sizing die in position 2, and the Lyman "M" in position three. You process ONE CASE with every pull of the lever.

---> That would be for semi-auto loadings.

For bolt or slide action rifles, I use, w/o exception, Redding dies with neck sizing donuts. (Redding will tell you not to use this system with a semi or slide action weapon... I've found that it works well if you pay attention for slide actions such as the Rem 760.)

This system ROCKS!

It is so superior to using the decap pin expander balls that I just don't know how anybody can keep from doing it any other way!