RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: 30-30 cast

Boolit Buddy

30-30 cast

Interesting experience last week-end. Bought a Chiappa Mini-Sharps in 30-30. I wanted to shoot cast in it so I went through my once fired brass and picked out 50 FC and fifty WW. Resized them and then tried the Lee case length trimmer on them and only about one in ten touched the cutter at all and some were 100 thou short. What the heck , I will fire form them as is and then trim to a common length. I had some Speer 100gr. plinker bullets that I had picked up at a gun-show so decided to use them up to fire-form. Picked a mid power load of AA 2460 and loaded them up. First problem on bullet seating. My 30-30 dies could not adjust low enough to seat the short bullets. I have a set of 30 Herret dies so I tried the 30 Herret seater and we were good too go.
    Ammo loaded --=-I take out the mini Sharps and it will only fire about every 5th or 6th round. The chamber is too deep so I will have to pull the bullets and set up a false shoulder with a 32 Special die and headspace off the shoulder instead of the rim.
    O.K.-Just a minute I have a 30-30 Rem. 788 that I bought last year but have not fired yet. I test fire the loaded ammo in it and it shoots every time. I guess this ammo will be used in the 788 then.
    I went to the range with a buddy to shoot off the fire forming loads. What a horror story that was. At fifty yards 4-5 inch groups. Used up the ammo and then went back to the bench and loaded up some 170 gr. lee cast hard and sized at .310 with a mid range powder charge of IMR 4759. At fifty yards it will put this load into a 1/2 inch group and stay under an inch at 100 yards.
    Yup-this gun likes lead bullets. Now if I can just find a powder that is still being made that shoots as well.

Boolit Master

Either IMR 3031 or AA 5744 under the old 311041 will equal (of better) factory loads in my Savage 340.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    I too lament the passing of 4759 in the .30-30. Truth be told, I always had good luck with 2400, 4227, and Unique too so I guess when my 10 pounds or so of 4759 is used up, it won't be all bad. For hunting, with 180 and 190's, I simply use 3031 and be done with it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    I too lament the passing of 4759 in the .30-30. Truth be told, I always had good luck with 2400, 4227, and Unique too so I guess when my 10 pounds or so of 4759 is used up, it won't be all bad. For hunting, with 180 and 190's, I simply use 3031 and be done with it.
    I too have ensured a goodly supply of SR 4759; but if pushed, IMR 4198 will come very close to duplicating the ballistics of 4759 at nearly the same load levels.

I'm glad to hear that the new Chiappa 30/30 is justifying its initial investment.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Buddy
    I am still using SR-4759 but take a look at ACC 5744. I have had some good results with it. Especially with vintage rifles.
    Just my 2 cents.
    rch

Banned

I still have some 4759, but have been using 3031 and RL7

Boolit Master

If it is like the 38-55 someone had at the range you had better be looking to see how oversized the boolit will have to be to touch as it rattles down the barrel towards the target.
    Several people tried to help him get it sighted in, but boolit impact was so random at 50 yards, you were not sure which way to move the sights next.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Most of my 30wcf and 300 Savage loads were based on 4759. I'm still trying to find something that duplicates it--accuracywise. I can't get 4227, of which I've got a few pounds, to do the job.

2400 was my fall back, but it's disappeared again in this neck of the woods.

I'm going to put a scope on my Marlin 336 and get serious about finding a 4227 load.

Im down this far on he thread, and no pics yet, geez
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master

20-21 grains of 30-31 - Use at your own risk , but I use a very light tuff of Kapok to help hold the powder down with no air space between the bullet and powder .. Very accurate. 170 GC LEE

I screwed up...I'm going to leave this and NOT erase it...This is my little fun cast load for the 7mm-08 and the 140 grain GC .

Good example why you want to look all loads up and double check each time.
    Last edited by randyrat; 09-20-2016 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Mistake

Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    20-21 grains of 30-31 - Use at your own risk , but I use a very light tuff of Kapok to help hold the powder down with no air space between the bullet and powder .. Very accurate. 170 GC LEE
    FYI: One of my old Lyman 44 manual says 173 grain IMR3031 beginning with 22 grains up to 31 grains.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by blixen View Post
    FYI: One of my old Lyman 44 manual says 173 grain IMR3031 beginning with 22 grains up to 31 grains.
    New manfactured powder has a different burn rate than the older powder in use when your older manual was researched and printed. Alliant powder changed the burn rate on their powders some years back that changed alot of data.Robert

Boolit Master

My mistake 20-21 is for my 7mm-08 load under 140 cast Using a puff of Kapok.
    I did not erase it on my original post..Good reason not to load by memory and do a double check..

Boolit Master

for full power loads I have been using 748,,,a ball powder

Attachment 177041

picture shows 6@75 yds and 6@100 yds
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

I take out the mini Sharps and it will only fire about every 5th or 6th round. The chamber is too deep so I will have to pull the bullets and set up a false shoulder with a 32 Special die and headspace off the shoulder instead of the rim.
    Something else wrong there.
    Whatever!