MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TC New Englander shotgun

Boolit Master

TC New Englander shotgun

Any one ever had one that could tell me a little about your experience. I wanting to find one for squirrels.Thanks

In Remembrance

The New Englander shotgun is a reliable percussion single barrel scatter gun. The early ones where made with a cylinder bore. Later models had replaceable threaded choke tubes. These make loading difficult, and shooting them without the tubes installed can damage the barrel threads. The one I still have I cut the barrel off right before the threaded section and am happy with it as a cylinder bore. Modern shot sleeves work well and give "improved" choke patterns if loads are not too hot. Basically a very serviceable and reliable gun. If you are fortunate you can find a .50 caliber barrel to swap out when you need longer range or round ball loads.

Perma-Banned
    just be prepared for a bit of "sticker-shock" when ya start lookin' for one. they are neat guns but, the prices people want for them is all out of proportion to what they're worth.

Boolit Man
    I hav a CVA 12 ga barrel that came with coke tubes so I bought an improved cylinder tube loads ok through that than I change tubes if needed.
    "Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading." Thomas Jefferson

Perma-Banned
    in what to me belongs in the "too much trouble to be fun" category, the T/C manual states to remove the choke tube before loading and to be sure not to fire the gun without a tube in it. I would either put a cylinder bore tube in it or shorten the barrel, but that's just me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    in what to me belongs in the "too much trouble to be fun" category, the T/C manual states to remove the choke tube before loading and to be sure not to fire the gun without a tube in it. I would either put a cylinder bore tube in it or shorten the barrel, but that's just me.
    what do they go for?

Perma-Banned
    I've seen just the barrels go for $450.00 & up on e-bay.

I have one of those I got from Bubba.50 (Thanks Bubba) and I rather like it. I have learned to use cardboard wads as mentioned in the sticky above and they load through the choke with no problem. I get better patterns with these type wads, and they are certainly easier to use. The only complaint I have with the New Englander is that the patent breech gets fouled fairly rapidly. This wouldn't be a problem for hunting since you don't typically fire many shots, but it is a bit of a problem on the skeet field. Because of this I shoot my Investarms Gallyon more than the New Englander, but for hunting I think the TC would get the nod due to its short length and good fitting stock.

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    I am not wanting the model with screw in chokes. Are wads and stuff readialy available still to keep it running should I find one?

Perma-Banned
    fiber overpowder cards, wads, and overshot cards are readily available at Track of the Wolf & likely about a thousand other places.

Boolit Master
    Bubba...what would u consider a fair price for one?

Perma-Banned
    it ain't so much a matter of what's a fair price. it's a matter of can ya even find one & is so, are ya willin' to pay the tariff(askin' price) on it.

Boolit Master

TC new englander

I bought used TC new Englander shotgun with a .50 cal barrel for $175.00. found a mint .54cal 3 weeks ago for $ 200.00. I seen this last weekend a good looking .54 for 229.00 at a store in Hastings Mi. so around here (Mi.) they go for a honest price.

Perma-Banned
    $229.00 is about average for a New Englander RIFLE and yes, occasionally ya get lucky like you did on the rifle/shotgun combo. but those 12ga New englanders are few & far between and a man could get mighty old waitin' on such a deal.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a 12 gauge/50 caliber combo a couple of years ago for $200.00 and I considered myself very lucky/fortunate.

Perma-Banned
    as indeed you were.

Boolit Buddy
    IIRC when they were introduced T/C advertised them as a true 12 ga with a bore sized for modern shotcups/ wads. That was to make for easier reloading. If you can find a standard Renegade some of them had a nice .56 cal smoothbore if that will meet your needs.
    If I could find a New Englander I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.

Boolit Master
    I bought a spare choke tube for my NE, and honed it out to cylinder bore. I really haven't played with it much yet, but I'll get around to it one of these years...
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you tire of the shotguning, Bob Hoyt can make that into a really big bore rifle. He's a master at doing the rifling.

Boolit Master
    Never buy a New Englander. Then you won't crave having its spendy shotgun barrel.