WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's the Easiest Handgun Cal. to Suppress?

Banned

Since SD Tactical makes their thread protectors on a lathe, how can they be off center? I don't have a lathe yet, so I dont see how they could be anything but centered. ???

I was under the impression that only the adapter needed to be registered. Oil filter cans wouldnt last long enough. Probably take longer to get approved.

Oil filters can last quite awhile depending upon caliber.

Cadiz Gun Works manufactures and sells the Econo-Can Suppressor.

The cost is $75.00 + $10.00 S&H for the registered Econo can silencer. The Econo can is available and can ship to a FFL/SOT dealer in your state on a form 3. We will need a signed copy of their license. FFL/SOT may be emailed to FFL@CadizGunWorks.com. If you need help locating a dealer, let us know and we will help you find a dealer in your state.

After we know which dealer is doing your transfer, at that point you would do an ATF form 4 and submit to the ATF/NFA Branch with $200.00 for your Tax Stamp to get it registered in your name or Trust. Telia here at Cadiz Gun Works or your local transfer dealer can help you with filling out that paperwork (Form 4).

The Econo Can Suppressor currently comes in different sizes.

The Econo Can Suppressor comes as a complete unit with the oil filter attached, serial numbered and registered with ATF/NFA.

If or when you need to change the filter out, the ATF/NFA rules says it needs to come back to the original manufacture, which Cadiz Gun Works is. The cost is $25.00.

The complete Econo-Can Suppressor can be shipped directly to us, for gunsmithing, which would be replacement/rehab/repair of the oil filter, with the serial # remarked, and documented as being replaced/rehabbed/repaired. The completed Econo Can Suppressor can be sent back to you at your address on your NFA Tax Stamp Form. You do not need to go though a dealer for gunsmithing services.

The life of the oil filter varies depending on caliber used and bullet type. (ex. AR15=300-500 rds)"

Last edited by Artful; 08-22-2016 at 11:29 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

What's the Easiest Handgun Cal. to Suppress?

Smaller bores supress better, fact. Smaller cartridges supress better(less gas volume for supressor to have to work with). 9mm subsonic is about as quiet as you can get in a current service caliber auto loader. SDTA makes a tube(B tube) that threads directly onto the Liberty or Gemtech LID(Nielsen device). Loading 147grn subs is easy, faster powders are quieter.

The only problem with the SDTA Titanium B tube is it is somewhat small compared to commercial cans, volume wise. And, it is quite heavy as the cylinder walls are about .08. The B tube, turned down to .06 walls shaves almost 2oz off the weight. And I know because I built one just in last month or so. It is quiet enough to shoot standard 115grn supers without ringing the ears, with subsonics, you can here bullet impact and brass hitting the ground. But it isn't near as quiet as 300blk on single shot rifle or 22lr cans I've built.
    Link to my 9mm SDTA build, gen 4 Glock 19
    https://youtu.be/AgEuZOQS1BU
    Last edited by Jupiter7; 08-23-2016 at 01:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BulletFactory View Post
    Since SD Tactical makes their thread protectors on a lathe, how can they be off center?
    Things made on lathes are not just magically concentric. There are tolerances in everything, especially part holding, that can allow parts to end up non-concentric.

The only issue I have with SD Tac stuff is the weight, after holding a couple. Their kits are significantly heavier than commercial suppressors.

Banned

Thanks. I'd like a lathe someday and appreciate any learning I can get. If an endcap is made from a bar, threaded outside, threaded inside then parted off, where would the flaw come from? Im not questioning you, Im asking.

If it's all done in one setup, things should be very concentric, except for drilled holes which can still go off-center if things aren't right. When parts are machined in multiple setups (and many have to be, you can't machine both ends of a part in the same setup), then things can be non-concentric if care isn't taken to dial it in correctly for each new setup.

Another source of error can come from using the existing OD of the bar stock as one of the part's finished surfaces; that surface may not be concentric with all the other machined features, depending how it's held.

I personally have not seen any concentricity issues with SD Tac parts, just explaining how it could happen to any manufacturer.

Boolit Grand Master
    May need to change springs for the pressure differences. Can you buy a can for a handgun legally?? For rifles, they are legal here, albeit expensive.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by yondering View Post
    If it's all done in one setup, things should be very concentric, except for drilled holes which can still go off-center if things aren't right. When parts are machined in multiple setups (and many have to be, you can't machine both ends of a part in the same setup), then things can be non-concentric if care isn't taken to dial it in correctly for each new setup.

Another source of error can come from using the existing OD of the bar stock as one of the part's finished surfaces; that surface may not be concentric with all the other machined features, depending how it's held.

I personally have not seen any concentricity issues with SD Tac parts, just explaining how it could happen to any manufacturer.
    I have seen at least 2 reports of cans not concentric made from SD parts. Both were from the threading of the adapter. But your right, they are making parts with as little work as possible, so they are taking stock tubing and threading it, no ID boring( lots of reports of different ID), maybe a clean up pass or just sanding the OD.

Boolit Master
    There are alot of variables that can make things not straight on a lathe. Its a bit shocking how off factory made barrels can be to begin with. So maybe the can is cut straight, but the barrel isn't. I have a Mossberg MVP is 5.56 I bought brand new, the barrel is not straight in the gun, and way they put it in it aint coming out easy. To thread it straight took some effort. I have noticed plenty of factory barrels are not concentric with the bore. Rossi is the worst, they are often warped from the way they weld them. I bought a 223 barrel off a guy, he said it was junk, great for shooting around corners, the muzzle had a good inch of wobble to one side. The bore wasnt even sized right. I had used it for a barrel stub, had the barrel to cut up for various things. Used it to size a bore guide for a crown cutter, only wouldn't fit in another 223 barrel, it was oversized.

No idea on how someplace like SD tactical might do things. But after buying 2 of their spacer sleeves, I would question their methods. Both are way undersized for actual use. They drop in and rattle around, so pretty much wasted money. Know somebody who went and bought one of their titanium tubes and the assorted stuff to go inside. So an ultra durable titanium tube, but an aluminum blast baffle? And they were barely more than flat washers, maybe 20 degree of angle to them. The guts did not last long before they were rattling around inside.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Leadmelter View Post
    I hitch in MI is the police chief has to sign off on the application, so I have been told.
    Leadmelter
    MI
    No more law has changed by BATFE

Seek a good SOT/NFA /silencer dealer.

You are enquiring about a booster needed in some platforms and calibers.

The best will be a top end 22lr