RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: A question about some 44 mag LEE molds

Boolit Bub

A question about some 44 mag LEE molds

I've been wanting to get a 240gr SWC mold for awhile now and I'm considering getting the LEE TL430-240-SWC which is a tumble lube design. I was wondering what the general consensus on this mold is. Are people getting good accuracy out of it?

Also, I have a 214gr SWC LEE mold and was wondering if it is ok to shoot full powered loads with that bullet out of a S&W 629-6. I know that high velocities and light bullets can cause issues like a cracked forcing cone, and I want to avoid this. That bullet shoots so nicely out of my rifle that I'd like to be able to use it in my revolver too.

I like the TL design in 38/357 and use that mold for step-sons 44 mag. Not heard any complaints from him on accuracy but then he is a nice guy and would probably not complain about free bullets if they were pretty bad so I'm not sure I can say for certain on that specific mold in 44 working well but for $20 finding out how it works in your firearm is not expensive.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

I have been using that TL430-240SWC for the past few months, testing in my SBH Hunter.
    It drops right at .430" for me, using CWW & range lead 50/50. Weights are very close to 240g with that mix, but when I add a bit of tin it drops a couple grains lighter. No surprises. Just make sure it's hot enough to square the base.
    I find that it shoots very accurately in said firearm at ~1000fps, and then again at ~1125 fps. 2" 12-shot groups at 25 yds.
    Haven't worked any faster than 1200 fps. I use 45-45-10 to tumble-lube them, no problems at these vel's.
    I like it.

Thumbs up

"Haven't worked any faster than 1200 fps. I use 45-45-10 to tumble-lube them, no problems at these vel's.
    I like it." ...Bookworm

Except for the 45-45-10, my experience as well.

Boolit Master
    The RANCH DOG designs were the first tumble lube boolits I used; really liked them. You can tumble lube conventional designs successfully, but tumble lube designs may be a problem when you try to conventionally lube them.
    While two cavity moulds are cheaper, make sure of what you want and get a six cavity.
    BEN'S LIQUID LUBE is simple and effective.

Boolit Master
    The RANCH DOG designs were the first tumble lube boolits I used; really liked them. You can tumble lube conventional designs successfully, but tumble lube designs may be a problem when you try to conventionally lube them.
    While two cavity moulds are cheaper, make sure of what you want and get a six cavity.

I'm not sure how long I've had the TL430-240SWC 6 cavity mold, but I like it and the bullets shoot well out of the two S&W guns I have. I've loaded some plinkers up for my 444 but haven't ever shot them at paper

Boolit Buddy
    I have been using that bullet mold, no complaints. I might possibly be getting a bit of non linear dispersion at 100yds, but as badly as I shoot at that distance it is hard to say. Groups do seem more than double the 50 yd group though. I have been using 2 coats of BLL and nary a trace of leading with some heavy loads. Mostly I shoot target loads now, just had to see what that lube would stand. But as far as I am concerned that mold is well worth buying.

Boolit Bub
    I mainly use the LEE Alox lube that comes with their bullet sizing dies. I've got several unopened bottles of it lying around, and it works well enough for me.

I think I will be going with the six cavity mold. As much as I've been shooting my 44s lately, it'll save me quite a bit of time. (so I can shoot more!)

Thanks fellas, I appreciate the advice.