Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compact reloading setup - suggestions

Compact reloading setup - suggestions

For a variety of reasons I'm going to lose access to my reloading bench from Sept. until Jan. In order to keep shooting I'm only going to reload for three pistol cartridges: .38 Special/.357 Mag. and .44 Mag. Space is an issue. I have the dies and a small Lee press. I wanted to use Lee dippers but I can't get close enough to the loads I need. I now need a powder measure. (I've got a digital scale) I have an RCBS Uniflow with the micrometer adjustment, but am thinking about a Lyman 55 because it looks smaller and has a clamp built in.
    Ideally I'd like to get all the equipment into a small box.
    Any thoughts about this or any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Jeff

Boolit Master
    I don't know about a small box, but my entire reloading bench is one piece of 2x12 pine 36 inches long. I clamp it on top of a small (Walmart) desk. Powder measure and scale on the left, press on the right, and 18 inches of empty space in the middle to do the cartridge handling. The issue isn't reloading space, but storage (the shelves in the closet in my den are full of reloading components).
    Hick: Iron sights!

When I 1st started reloading long ago I was only loading 38/357 and had limited space. I found on old used night stand that worked very well. It was only about 20-22" wide and 14" deep, about the height of a desk. There was one raised shelf on the back that was about 8" high and 6" deep. The top that the press mounted to was about 1" thick. Then there was a full sized solid shelf under that and another full size shelf that was about 2" above the floor.

I was using a single stage Bonanza 86 press, a RCBS 505 scale kept on the top shelf. Lee Improved powder measure scoop cups, powder funnel and a MTM case tray. That little thing just plain worked for what I was doing. It was light enough that I could move it around but sturdy and heavy enough that it wouldn't rock around while I was using it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've got both the Uniflow (with only the large drum) and a 55. I used the Unflow with great satisfaction until I tried to throw 2.5 grains of Red Dot for my .32 S&W Long I frame. That's when I started using the 55, and I think I like it better than the Uniflow for general use now. The clamp is a welcome feature, as long as there is a shelf an inch or so thick to clamp it to.

Another idea is to use one of the handheld powder dispensers such as the Little Dandy, but the different rotors for them add up to big bucks pretty quick.

Robert

Three cartridges to reload for? All you need is three handmade custom dippers made from empty cases and some wire for a handle.

Boolit Master

I purchased a used 55 and for the pistol type cartridges I load, it works great. Very consistent charge weights. And it is small. I started with a cheaper digital scale, also very small but the claimed 'accurate to .1 grain' is a stretch. More like .2 or .25 grain. Now I used an old Redding #2 scale. Dead on accurate, fast and the box is 10" x 2" x 3".

A Lee hand press , small scale, dippers, dies and a small homemade powder trickler would fit in a small box.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Lil dandy and 3 rotors

Boolit Grand Master
    I am with Yodo. Make dippers out of some range pickup cases. Simple, cheap and compact.

Use an old wooden foot locker. Reinforce the lid from underneath, pre drill for the press on one end...you got the idea?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

There are a couple Pacific Powder measures on e-Bay right now. They would be ideal once you got them set up with rotors.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I put my turret press on a double thick layer of plywood and just bolt it to the desk with c-clamps when needed. That might serve your purposes as you can leave it all boxed up and just find a spot load a few and break it back down.

Another plus 1 for home made dippers.

I like 9mm for .38/.357, I suspect a cut down .38 case could be tuned for .44mag.

While I have 3 press's the main one I use is the Lee Hand Press. Next is the Lee classic cast mounted inverted for sizing and gas check duty's. But I could easily do it all with the hand press. You do need a good case lube for large rifle case resizing, but most anything should work for .38 and .44.

As for making dippers, I like to use my case cut off saw to get the dipper "close" then use the Lyman chamfer tool to take miniscule amounts off. If I take a smidge much use the Lee Universal flaring tool to bell the mouth a touch, adding charge. Once dialed in I put a piece of tape on the wire handle and note charge amount for powder, and which caliber it was designed for. I have 8 or 9 I use regularly that have a home in a corner of a drawer.

Rounds you want exact I use the dipper slightly less than full, transfer to scale, then take another small scoop with the dipper and use it as my powder trickler. If there is only a smidge of powder in the bottom it is pretty easy to lay it flat and trickle out a couple of granules at a time.

Planning ahead really helps on keeping things simple. Also learn to develop positive habits.

I like to put the cases in a loading block, as I size they go back reversed. So if they started neck up they go back neck down. Then when I prime I like to leave them primer up. Giving me instant verification that all are primed and uncharged. Then to charge I pick up an upside down case, charge it, and of course it goes back right side up. ONLY pick up upside down cases. If you follow the rules you never double charge a case.

Once the block is all charged a flashlight verify's load, makes sure none are higher or lower than the rest.

It is the little steps that keep us safe, the attention to detail.

Boolit Master

Jeff, I had two of the Lyman 55s and they worked great. One for pistol and one for rifle. Very accurate and easy to use. You can't go wrong with that choice.
    May all your bullets find the Bullseye.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    +1 to Yodo . . . I make dippers out of spent cartridges all the time p I keep a small supply of various sizes in a jar - mostly range pick-ups. I use stove pipe wire to make the handles . . .

Here is a set up that will load 6 different rounds sitting on top of a stool. Clamp the base to a table and start loading.

Boolit Master
    I found mounting my press with the handle coming down at an angle makes it to where I can use it with it unsecured. Clamping it does make it nicer to use.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160719_192424_421.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	172625

Beautiful. Thanks.

Jeff

Boolit Buddy
    I use a Redding powder measure with the micrometer adjustment. Got a notebook with the micrometer settings for charge weights of the powders I use. Don't have to take a scale to the range when I'm working up loads. Works well since all I load is cast bullets and never max pressure loads. Built a stand that attaches to my 3 drawer tool box. Tools box holds dies, priming tool and caliper and micrometer and the bottom drawer holds wrenches, screwdrivers etc. Powder and bullets travel to the range in a 20 mm ammo can and doubles as a stool if I forget my real stool.

Banned

did a lot of reloading years ago with a lee hand press and primer tool and a little dandy with rotors I knew that would throw the charge I wanted. Worked as lineman and even used it in the truck at lunch time.