MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .38 Super v 9mm

.38 Super v 9mm

I have the opportunity to pick up a 1911 Colt in .38super. I was wondering what people thought of the Super when compared to the 9mm as there is also available a Rock Island Armory 1911 in 9mm/22tcm. I am aware the Frame on the RIA is milled for the 9mm and standard 1911 parts (.45acp) won't fit, whereas the .38Super is built on a traditional 1911 Frame.

The RIA is tempting just for the 22tcm aspect, but I have been wanting a .38super for a long time, and if I use it as an everyday carry, I would have the RIA in 9mm configuration.

Suggestions on Moulds to look at, or suggestions on loads to look at would be appreciated as well.

Also, I already have Dies for the 9mm, and Powders I have on hand are 800x, Lil'Gun, Longshot.

I am open to thoughts and critics.

Thank you in advance. (This is to replace the 10mm RIA 1911 I had to sacrifice to cover a couple of bills. Currently, my hands can not handle the recoil of 10mm loads, but can handle 9mm/.40sw)
    GRANDPARENTS AGAINST RETINOBLASTOMA, BECAUSE NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE CANCER

Buy both...

Yeah, if that was an option, I wouldn't be here asking it would have already been done.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsnscrews View Post
    Yeah, if that was an option, I wouldn't be here asking it would have already been done.
    Well personally I would go with the 38 super, I have never talked to anybody having problems with 38 super 1911's. OTH everybody that has told me of their woes it has been a 9mm. Other than the internet I just have not heard of many problems with 45 acp, or 38 super.

Boolit Buddy
    38Super brass is far more expensive and almost unheard of to scrounge. 9mm brass is practically everywhere.
    I'd go 9mm for plinking/HD/SD, and something else if PF mattered for matches.
    But a Colt will always be a Colt and hold value better if that's factor.

Lee's 356120TC is an affordable and well performing 9mm mold. No experience with your powders.

The .38 Super is a great round. Mine have proven to be very accurate, too. It would be my recommendation over the 9mm/.22 TCM.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

A local vendor has instock fired .38super brass $14 per 100 rounds.

Boolit Master

If the .38 Super is a Colt (mfg. in Hartford) or a Springfield Armory, I'd grab it in a heartbeat and never look back. Admittedly, the Super is pretty much a handloader's cartridge these days but, in terms of ballistics, it's definitely superior to the 9x19 and a 'real' 1911 frame provides plenty of potential for upgrade...if you're so inclined. Recently, a shooting buddy picked up a LNIB Springfield Armory that I wish I'd seen before he glommed onto it.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Buddy
    You don't say what you intend to use it for. If this is gonna be a plinker putting a lot of rounds down range, I'd go with the 9mm. If this is gonna be a carry gun, and occasional range time, I'd go with the .38 super.

hp246 it will be a handload only target with the occasional carry. I just don't leave the house much anymore with my back issues.

Boolit Buddy

9's are a dime a dozen. Love the 38 super. The +p will surprise you. Very nice

Once you have the Super, all you need is a 9mm barrel and you'll have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    Once you have the Super, all you need is a 9mm barrel and you'll have both.
    This. My bet is you will shoot the 9MM far more than you will the Super. I would grab the gun after checking it out thoroughly. It may have been a high volume USPSA gun shooting major loads. It would matter to me, others maybe not so much.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Just thought of something, you can get 9mm shooti'n ammo by the case now for about the same price a case of .22 ammo would cost.

Here's an interesting article on loading the .38 Super.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/reloadi...-the-38-super/

I have a stainless frame cut for a Para/Clark ramped barrel I haven't gotten around to yet, plan on doing a 10mm on it, but a Super .38/9x23/9x19 still isn't out of the question.

I had an old Colt Super .38 in the 80's and simply added a 9mm barrel to it. The Super head spaced on the rim as did Colt barrels through the 90's I believe and wasn't very accurate. The newer barrels head space on the mouth of the case and are noted for fine accuracy. A properly head spaced barrel, or the same in a ramped barrel, and good +P brass should put the Super in the realm of a 4" .357 Magnum revolver. (Note I said good +P brass or a ramped barrel in conjunction with careful hand loading, read the article carefully)

Boolit Master

You can't convert the double stack 9mm/22TCM RIA frame up to 38 Super but you can add a 9mm barrel to the RIA 38 Super 1911. I own a single stack 9mm RIA Govt Model that I've also fitted a 38 Super barrel to the slide as well. for day to day range use, I use it in it's 9mm Luger setup. When I clean it up after the trips to the range I use the 38 Super setup (different mag, and barrel bushing but same 14lb recoil spring)for personal defense with 124gr hollowpoints.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    While I'm not really a fan of either cartridge, I've had two Colt .38 Super pistols and many more 9mms; shot cast in all of them. Velocity/performance difference is probably less than what many folks imagine. The biggest distinction is the .38 Super has mystique.The 9mm doesn't.

RIA makes a nice pistol, to be sure, I've had three of them. For my money, the Colt will always be a Colt, and tend to appreciate in value. The ammunition will sort itself out. Advantage: Colt.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    While I'm not really a fan of either cartridge, I've had two Colt .38 Super pistols and many more 9mms; shot cast in all of them. Velocity/performance difference is probably less than what many folks imagine. The biggest distinction is the .38 Super has mystique.The 9mm doesn't.
    You are correct, most factory ammunition has been loaded down at least 100fps for the Super over the years narrowing the gap between it and the 9x19mm. Now figure in the Super velocities are usually taken from a 5" barrel and the 9mm from a 4" barrel, the gap narrows even more. As for factory ammo, only a few "boutique" companies load the Super near it's potential. I would make a few simple and cheap modifications to a Super 1911 for this hotter ammo, Replace the beveled bottom firing pin stop, (army's idea, 1913 I believe) with a square one, (Browning's original design) replace the factory main spring with a 23lb spring, and the firing pin spring with heavy duty spring, you can work with the recoil spring and maybe go up a lb or two, but not much more.

The 9mm wasn't a popular chambering in the U.S. prior to the end of WWII, police departments wanted a cartridge to better penetrate automobile bodies than the .38spl. or .45ACP and the Super .38 was born in 1929 with a 130gr. FMJ bullet at around 1,300fps. to answer the needs of police.

Boolit Master
    If it were me I'd get the Colt in .38 super, but, plan on buying something like a Barsto barrel that headspaces on the case mouth (unless the Colt is a later one that does this). I was always partial to the .38 Super, but, I tend to favor wierd cartridges, like the .357 Sig and 10mm. I am also a Colt snob

The go out and buy a 9mm barrel for it. Plink with the 9mm and shoot the .38 Super when you want the added velocity. Best of both.