MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: PID Not Working

Boolit Bub

PID Not Working

I have a Frozone PID from 2013 that has never worked correctly as it does not hold temperature. Does anyone repair these?

UPDATE:

Mike W1 was kind enough to send Frozone instructions.

OBIII looked the unit over, modified it, and returned it with minimal charge. He took care of me as though I was his best customer and it is not even his unit. I am grateful for everyone's help and for this forum!
    Last edited by sunburn; 07-02-2016 at 04:26 PM.
    For some reason, Islamists are the only racist, sexist, homophobic theocrats the media can't summon outrage against.

Boolit Buddy
    What brand of controller is it using? A simple test is to set the desired temp a ove room temp. Plug a lamp into the PID. The lamp should be off. Now lower the set temp Below room temp. The lamp should turn on. If it is not doing this, then you may have a problem. If the lamp test works, it has a setting issue.

Ed C

Boolit Bub
    Mypin. It does not hold temp with a probe in the lead pot.
    For some reason, Islamists are the only racist, sexist, homophobic theocrats the media can't summon outrage against.

Boolit Master

Does the PID bring the lead up to correct temp. and then fail to maintain? How and where is the probe mounted in the lead? Do you have the correct TC probe?
    I doubt that it is feasible to repair just replace with new.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    Does the PID bring the lead up to correct temp. and then fail to maintain? How and where is the probe mounted in the lead? Do you have the correct TC probe?
    I doubt that it is feasible to repair just replace with new.
    It's certainly repairable - highly unlikely the whole thing went to pot, it'll be one part, something wired incorrectly, or a parameter changed inadvertently.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Boolit Bub
    This PID has never worked, assembly instructions incorrect and Frozone had me move several wires around. Unit sat for 2 years until needed again and it will take time to go over the unit connection by connection before parameters are set. Mike W1 was kind enough to sent diagrams and start-up procedures so a baseline can be established. A little patience and lots of persistence will make this happen. Thanks to all for your input and advise, it is appreciated.

Boolit Bub
    Updated first post

Boolit Buddy
    I have dealt with OBIII before, good guy!

Boolit Master

Did OBIII happen to mention what kind of a problem he found? Always nice to have troubleshooting ideas.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    US Army Vet

John Adams 1826

Boolit Bub
    My programming skills are weak. One of the parameters reset to default after my failed attempts to set it. I had no clue, and if a hammer won't fix it, there is an electrical problem…..

Boolit Master

One of the differences in setting both the Mypin and a Rex is that they require you to press SET after you have the value where you want it. The Auber I have just needs to be shifted to the next parameter and sets itself.

I find it useful to record the factory settings (and their rotational order) as well as which ones I change and the setting I change it to. Most of them don't need to be changed from factory default.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    US Army Vet

John Adams 1826