Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving from CA to TN, Transporting Powder, primers ect..

Moving from CA to TN, Transporting Powder, primers ect..

Hello,

I am moving from California to Tennessee next month for my company. Never moved out of state before let alone transport powder,primers, firearms ect. It is to my understanding that I can't exceed 25lbs in a private vehicle when transporting powder. Does this apply in conjunction with primers?

I plan to have my firearms disassembled and locked in the safe in the moving truck. Has anyone had any experience transporting these across state lines? Your input is much appreciated.

Regards,

Ryan

Boolit Master
    Once you leave CA, what are you worried about?

Boolit Master
    You'd have to check with each of the states you plan to drive through.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

The states don't regulate this. You are crossing state lines so it's a federal matter. Here is a link that has transpiration limits: http://www.saami.org/specifications_...ess_Powder.pdf

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    When placed in commerce (commercial transportation or for hire) any quantity of hazard class 1.1,1.2 or 1.3 must be placarded. Quantities of 1.4 greater than 1000 lbs must be placarded except for UN numbers (basically every small arms cartridge with inert projectiles 50 cal and less) . That is the basic break down of DOT based on 21 yrs of ammo shipping training and refresher courses on an ammo depot.

Powder Valley can only sell 25# per customer/vehicle of BP.
    Individual towns and cities will have local ordinances that typically reflect the National Fire Protection Association code for storage ,ingress and egress . Reno says 32# per vehicle and cabinet with a long winded description of lockers and wall arrangements for greater storage . With all that said I 80 and US 395 are haz-mat routes and exempt from that rule . If you travel I80 and 70 you should good to go . IF it is in private vehicles there shouldn't be any questions.
    A trailer is considered a separate conveyance, so 32# in the truck ,32 # in the trailer and the same in your other car. The movers won't knowingly move it because of the above haz-mat regulations . There are a couple of haz-mat routes on i40 .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

do not ship your safe and guns via mover, you are setting yourself up to be ripped off. they will hold them hostage for more "fees".

Boolit Grand Master

Are you expecting an inspection/search at each state border? I moved about 35 lbs. of powder, 10,000 22 lr rounds, and mebbe 12,000 primers in my PU when I escaped CA. I just packed the primers so they wouldn't be bumped around in case of a roll over, and put the powder in boxes. Wasn't carrying any dope, so I wasn't concerned with searches...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

You don't want primers and powder in same container, would want primers in original containers which are designed to limit chain ignition of primers..
    Most gun safes I have seen would not secure weapons for transport. They can bounce around and bang into sides and each other. I would think in protective cases, locked case & trigger lock or bolt removed etc. to make non-firearm would allow transport in about any vehicle or trailer. Maybe if the safe would accommodate the cased weapons?

You do want clarity on price of safe delivery to specific location. Delivery down basement stairs, or upstairs, around back to walk out basement may well be an additional cost. Tight stairs or turns on stairs, hauling across soft lawn etc. can be a problem. Need to clarify any charges for that up front. Long carry used to be an upcharge too but it has been a few decades since I did bed knobs and broomsticks.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    do not ship your safe and guns via mover, you are setting yourself up to be ripped off. they will hold them hostage for more "fees".
    Pay attention to rancher1913 on this issue!!

Boolit Master
    Cal Fire Marshal regulations limits you to 25# of powder stored at home, so that is not a problem. I would move powder, primers , ammo and firearms in you pov.

Boolit Mold
    ALL guns in your truck, under YOUR control. pistols in a locked box, long guns in wraps of the towels, with gun locks through the receivers. to be extra safe and keep them from being usable incase they are confiscated, stolen, remove the bolts/firing pins.

if you allow the movers to move any powder or primers, paint, any kind of aerosol, solvent, etc. box up real good and do not let the movers know about them. dot haz-mat ****.

try to move everything along this lines in your privet car. or sell, give away, into the trash. if for nothing more than why move the poundage.

NEVER move your guns via a moving company. high theft rates. also fed and state control laws involved here.
    far safer to ship some items via the ups system.
    do the self load into a abf pup. this way you know what is there and it will not be un/cross loaded at any point in route. this is a door to door drop deal.

Moving from CA to TN, Transporting Powder, primers ect..

I'd avoid Colorado with any 'high' capacity magazines just in case.

In Remembrance

Load it in the trunk and stay under the speed limit. The chances of being stopped like that is VERY small. BTW Welcome to TN.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

As above welcome to TN!
    Where are you moving to? East, west, middle?

Boolit Master

Welcome back to Freedom...

Move your own firearms and reloading components as much as you can. inert projectiles and empty brass, box up and have the movers ship them. dies and presses place in plain cardboard boxes but photograph them before you place them in the hands of the movers. Be prepared for an insurance claim on them in any case. I once lost a press, 20 dies and nearly the same amount of molds when the Army movers boxed my stuff up for a PCS move from one station to another. Yes, I think the movers stole them because they knew the government would cut me a check to replace the items but it was still very irritating for several months waiting for the claim to be approved and paid.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Thanks Jupiter! East TN, about 45 min East of Knoxville.

I appreciate all the input everyone.

Banned

When I escaped from california to the Ozarks, I filled up a 26' U Haul and my pick-up truck and we hit the road. I never considered any of it. Probably broke a whole bunch of laws. Ooops

Boolit Master

Don't know how many firearms we are talking about, but I have always heard to NEVER let the shipper move them or a least let them know they are moving them.

Like that giant animal one takes on a hunt, with shippers and firearms there seems to be issues of SHRINKAGE

May be that you have to let them move guns and safe, protect each firearm from banging into another.

Now if you mention it after you get here, NO we really don't care how they did it in kalifornia after all . . . .

kalifornia 18 billion in debt, Tennessee Constitution does NOT allow for deficit budget.

No state income tax.

Welcome to life in a Free State.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 06-02-2016 at 10:41 PM. Reason: clarification
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I'd load it all up in whatever I was using to move with, and keep my mouth shut, and drive carefully.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Banned
    Lots of good advice. As for the powder and primers; package it up separate (primers in factory boxes) and put it in your own vehicle. You'll be fine and no one will be the wiser. If you can sell off some to friends before the move, that might help just with the bulk of what needs to be transported.
    The idea of the mover transporting the firearms in the safe doesn't sit well with me. While it's unlikely the entire safe would be stolen or lost, if it was they would get all of your guns in one event. I don't think the guns will ride well in the safe unless they were all in soft cases and packed in a manner that they couldn't move around inside the safe. I don't know how many guns we're talking about but at the very least I would take personal control of the hand guns and remove the bolts from the long guns. I would take digital photographs of all of the guns (close up of the serial #, close up of the makers markings and an overall photo). Give those photos (digital files) to someone trusted or burn them to a CD and mail it to yourself (snail mail if you have a PO box in TN already or e-mail)

I don't think you'll have any issues transporting your own property through other states on your way to your new residence. The odds are very good that the trip will be uneventful. If you have to spent the night at a motel en-route, you may want the handguns in a suitcase that can be discretely placed in your room for the night.

This is very do-able with a bit of planning.

Good Luck ! and welcome to the right coast, or at least closer to it!!