Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee 155 gr 2r not workign for 300 BO.

Boolit Bub

Lee 155 gr 2r not workign for 300 BO.

Hi, this is my first post here. I have been lurking for years. I am new to reloading 300 BO. I already have the Lee 155gr2r mold for casting for 7.62x39. I decided to try it for the 300. my problem is, that I have to seat the projectile way to deep to get it to chamber. any longer and it wont chamber in my rifle, and it wont fit in my EGW chamber checker. I don't think this bullet will work. does anyone have any good suggestions for currently manufactured molds that will work? I am wanting a mold for supersonic rounds. I don't have any plans right now to suppress. I also prefer a gas check mold if possible. I also powder coat. thanks in advance, for the help! The round on the right is the OAL that the book calls for. the round on the left is what it takes to get it to chamber. can measure it because I squished the tip

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20160421_002[1].jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	166787

I have this one http://www.titanreloading.com/molds/...d-tl309-230-5r for 300BO. However at it's weight, I'm not sure it'll go supersonic.

From the ring on the nose, I'd say 0.1" deeper. I'm pushing the 31-142C to 2100 but it's PB. You could order it with a GC shank & specify your dia., length to get the weight you want. It's a custom mould, email Tom & spec what you want. Delivery is pretty fast. More $ but it works. IIRC, R5R ordered a mould specifically for the BO in that weight range.
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    I saw that on a google search and got excited. I then saw the weight. I do not think it could be driven fast enough either.

Boolit Bub
    the ring on the nose is from my Lee seating die. it seats in both my barrel and chamber checker now, but I'm afraid of the pressures with it being so deep.

Or see your gunsmith see if he has

30 cal throating reamer
    or if your mechanically inclined just rent it yourself
    http://www.reamerrentals.com/searchresults.asp?cat=25

$17 for 3 day rental
    http://www.reamerrentals.com/Product...uctCode=30%2Et

Then move the throat to take the bullet where you want it. As Goodsteel said
    Educate yourself on how to use this tool. It takes a certain amount of feel and a deft hand. It's all good unless you really don't care what it feels like and you ream your throat too deep. The barrel may still group for you, but you'll never touch the throat if you go too far.
    Last edited by Artful; 04-22-2016 at 02:01 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Bub
    I am going to be away from electronics for a while today. don't think me rude guys, ill be back later today to check in. I live on a shooting range, and have to go do some RO'ing

Quote Originally Posted by zarfxo View Post
    Hi, this is my first post here. I have been lurking for years. I am new to reloading 300 BO. I already have the Lee 155gr2r mold for casting for 7.62x39. I decided to try it for the 300. my problem is, that I have to seat the projectile way to deep to get it to chamber. any longer and it wont chamber in my rifle, and it wont fit in my EGW chamber checker. I don't think this bullet will work. does anyone have any good suggestions for currently manufactured molds that will work? I am wanting a mold for supersonic rounds. I don't have any plans right now to suppress. I also prefer a gas check mold if possible. I also powder coat. thanks in advance, for the help! The round on the right is the OAL that the book calls for. the round on the left is what it takes to get it to chamber. can measure it because I squished the tip

Something is wrong. I use this bullet in 300AAC and it's truly been a no brainer. What are you sizing it to? I'm using .309 and tumble lubing. It has been perfect from the first time I tried it. Lee C312-155-2R from straight clip on wheel weight allow or a little harder using 6:1 COWW / Monotype. Both work fine. I'm pushing these at just under 1900fps.

Something is wrong. I use this bullet in 300AAC and it's truly been a no brainer. What are you sizing it to? I'm using .309, tumble lubing and seating to the crimp groove. It has been perfect from the first time I tried it. Lee C312-155-2R from straight clip on wheel weight alloy or a little harder using 6:1 COWW / Monotype. Both work fine. I'm pushing these at just under 1900fps. How are you damaging the tip like that?

Boolit Bub
    I first tried them as .311, then I bought a .309 Lee push through. it actually sizes to 308.5. I have been using 50/50 wheel weights and pure lead. hornady gas checks. Hornady cases. what OAL do you seat to with the Lee bullet? maybe the Powder coat is adding to much to the nose?

Well try one without powder coating - What's the nose size of one you have already done?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

I first tried them as .311, then I bought a .309 Lee push through. it actually sizes to 308.5. I have been using 50/50 wheel weights and pure lead. hornady gas checks. Hornady cases. what OAL do you seat to with the Lee bullet? maybe the Powder coat is adding to much to the nose?
    Im seating to the crimp groove. I don't even measure them. In regards to powder coat, do you size afterwards?

Boolit Mold
    I had many a mini stroke trying to gas check powder coated. I had to go to a larger size gas check. Vulcanchex.com will send you a sample pack of 4 sizes for $1.50

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    As stated in other posts, I using a 173 gn Lyman 311041 lubed and GC'ed (originally for 30-30) behind 15.0 H110 running 1750 fps. It is looks short but cycles and shoots great out of the 2 BKO's we have.
    Robert Abbott
    "I don't save money reloading. I just get to shoot more."

Boolit Master
    I think your problem is the case necks. I've had one reformed .233 that had a too thick neck and wouldn't chamber with a .311" Lee 155gr ptgc loaded.
    But, it could be the throat is too tight for the coated boolits. My .300 throat shows rub marks on tumble lubed bullets. Haven't tried coated in it yet.

Boolit Bub
    I am planning to do just that. they were working so well in 7.62x39 and 30-06 that I powdered them all. time to cast some more.

Boolit Bub
    yes I size before coating to seat the check and then after coating to get back down to .309

Boolit Bub
    okay thanks I will check that mould out.

Boolit Bub
    the ones I have loaded so far have been in hornady and barnes 300 BO factory cases. I have been forming my own already, but haven't tried loading with them yet. one less factor to start with.

Boolit Bub
    oh okay I gotcha drift now. yes it is seated about .1 deeper than the book calls for. when my gas block comes in I will give this boolit a try anyway. start at the bottom charge and see what happens. with it seated deeper like the one on the left it chamber fine and fits in my chamber checker. ill check the neck of a loaded round just to be sure.