RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suppressors yay

Boolit Buddy

Suppressors yay

Has anyone here designed submitted and built their own suppressor. I've been researching the idea and think it could be alot of fun and very satisfying. Is it too much of a paperwork hassle? Sorry if this has been discussed alot and please refer me to posts. I'm using my phone and I'm not very good at navigating with it yet.

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    I've dreamed of doing all of those things but have not done so yet. I have the machinery to build my own but I lack the patience and finances to proceed with any of my designs.

The cylindrical housings for the builds I've had in mind are the easy parts of such a build. The designs I've considered for my internals involved the use of Direct-Metal-Laser-Sintering. (DMLS) With this 3D printing technology I'd be able to create baffles with the type of geometry that would be nearly impossible to machine with conventional machining methods.

Also, these geometrically optimized suppressor baffles can be made of any or all the same metals used for making conventional suppressors; ie, Stainless steel, inconel and titanium. It's an expensive way to go but I'm more than just a little bit sure it would work just like I'm sure that for me, such suppressor builds will remain in the realm of my dreams indefinitely; unless I win the lottery or the passing of some long lost relative bequeaths a wad of cash to fuel those dreams.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master
    I have built 2 and have 2 more aplications waiting approval. It's not a huge hassle and much easier after your first time. The paperwork part is more of a waiting game than any thing. Your application has the 200 dollar tax per item. It is very satisfying to build your own. My 22 can is quieter than my uncles Comercial can but mine is way heavier! There's many options available from a few suppliers from carbon steel tubes and caps to stainless or titanium light weight but the light weight comes at about three times the price. If you have a lathe to make your own I am extremely jealous! I purchased the ready made tubes/caps (solvant trap) and a press jig to cone freeze plugs for my baffles.

Boolit Buddy
    Yea I have a Lathe and most machinery needed. If you have any designs of k baffles or cone baffles then pm me and we can talk suppressors and designs and share ideaae

Boolit Buddy
    I am looking into it right now. One of the more important (to me) things that I have discovered is the use of a trust. By establishing a trust first, you can have the items passed down to whom you choose without reapplying for a tax stamp. You can also have your wife or kids or others on the trust so that they could use the item without you being present.

Other than that, the paper work seems easy. There are more than a few how to's for filling out the form 1.

I am interested in building an all titanium can that can be used on multiple systems. I am thinking a .500 bore with replaceable end caps that would have a smaller bore. .223, .308, .40 ext...

I want to be able to use the can not only for rifles but pistols too. I know it will be heavier than a dedicated can for pistols, but this way if I am not able to build more than one for a while I have options.

for Ti stock check out titanium joe .com for a pre fabed tube and caps check out SD tactical . com under the hardware section. also I think its online metals for other stock. also amazon has mag light tube spacer things that I have been eyeballing. pre made baffles without the hole.

Do yourself a favor, and google suppressor designs to look at different ideas. also silencer talk .com that have a silencer smiting section.

Your imagination and wallet are the limiting factors. My current idea should cost around $250 + the stamp.

I did one last year. Took longer to get the stamp than build it. I did a form 1 after researching ideas on silencer talk.com. Then submitted my form and fingerprints and photo. Send off for the correct fingerprint forms from the atf with the correct header. I did my own passport style photo and had it printed at Walgreens.com.

while waiting for the stamp, I researched more. It was only a 7 month wait. Only after getting the stamp, I ordered material from online metals. Spent about $75 in raw materials ( stainless 1" round stock, 7064 1" round alum, and 1" 6061 tube in 3 ft lengths. Bought some basic tooling from enco on sale (big 60* countersink and .270" reamer and 1/2-28 tap.) and ground some custom bits for the lathe. I have enough to make a few more if I choose to drop more on stamps....which I should do come to think of it.

I did a basic 22lr 6" k baffle style suppressor in aluminum. The mount is stainless as is the first baffle that incorporates a blast chamber. I think I figured actual $9 in materials. I then cerakote it in black to match the project Ruger MK2 I found and refurbed that was a complete mess. Barrel was shortened to 4" to allow regular 22lr to stay subsonic. Really quiet with standard velocity target shells. I lucked out and had Mack Bros suppressors in Sturgis, SD laser engrave my info on the tube. He was impressed and said I could probably shoot 22 mag or 17 rimfire through it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	166691Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	166694

Nicely Done Cheese!
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    I would take pics of mine but I am not nice to it and I will need to press the baffles out if I am ever to clean them. might see what I can come up with

Banned
    You don't have to submit a design or your suppressor with the form 1 do you?

Boolit Master
    I got the end cap and one of my baffles out it has 11 baffles and about an inch blast chamber.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    You don't have to submit a design or your suppressor with the form 1 do you?
    no just length, caliber, model number if you choose one and serial number is mandatory but its what ever you want it to be.

I found 22lr is very dirty. I learned right away to shoot it some and take it apart soon after to get the bffles removed. Otherwise the soot and lead harden. I found a turn in my tumbler with sst pins so far is the easiest to clean the baffles. Big debate on the internet about that procedure though.

Banned
    Back in the day, a long time ago, we used to play around with 22lr handguns. We would take a soda can, open up the pop top hole, then cut in another on the opposite end. We just held the can with our hands while shooting through it. (I didn't say this was smart). But it was amazing how much noise was reduced with just this. It was a ping sound. With all these baffles inside a tube, should be cool and quiet. Never tried messing with one.

Boolit Master
    Mine sounds like a pellet gun with standard velocity and only hear the firing pin with cci quiets, this is out of my threaded bolt rifle my pistol makes a little more noise but not much.

Boolit Buddy
    Question.. So if you make a can, it has to be caliber specific? You can't say make one for a 9mm and have a second set of baffles/parts to convert it to .40 cal on the one tax stamp?

Boolit Master

It doesn't have to be caliber specific it can be multi-caliber, but...you can't have any replacement parts, and you can't do any repairs yourself.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Quote Originally Posted by gzig5 View Post
    Question.. So if you make a can, it has to be caliber specific? You can't say make one for a 9mm and have a second set of baffles/parts to convert it to .40 cal on the one tax stamp?
    You can make a 40 cal can and shoot 9mm thru it or 22 LR for that matter - but you can't get one stamp and have two sets of internals - you can design it so that you can have multiple differently threaded caps so you can swap between say a 9/16 40 caliber host and an 1/2 9mm or 22LR host.

Last edited by Artful; 04-30-2016 at 02:33 AM.
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gzig5 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    It doesn't have to be caliber specific it can be multi-caliber, but...you can't have any replacement parts, and you can't do any repairs yourself.
    This is not entirely correct. You do have to specify a calliber. The atf does not recognize "multi" as a caliber. there is no dictation on how much over bore you may have so you could build a 22 caliber suppressor with a half inch bore and still be legal. For all intents and purposes shooting 9mm through a 40 calliber or even a 45 caliber can works just fine typically if building a pistol can you will go with a 45 caliber to work on multiple hosts and for centerfire you go with a 30 cal for everything... typically you will build a dedicated 22 can but that's not saying you must it's just unwieldy to have a large centerfire can on a 22 and they kind of have a hollow sound

je suis charlie