Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trapdoor Springfield rebirth

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

Trapdoor Springfield rebirth

Well, I got this project pretty much wrapped up. The first picture was the "Before". This gun came from the old movie "Gunga Din". I had around fifteen of them to sort through, and this one had the best bore. After I scrubbed out the rust, dust bunnies, and cobwebs, I found it has a nice shiney bore. Looks much better as an Officer's Model Springfield!
    I used Andy's Rust Blue, came out great. I steamed the metal, rather than boiling, SO much handier to do.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010001.jpg 
Views:	485 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	164869

Name:	P1010001-002.jpg 
Views:	647 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	164870

Name:	P1010003-002.jpg 
Views:	557 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	164871
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Wow that is sure some fine work. Anyone would be proud to have that one. The nose cap is exquisite. That must have taken some time to inlet.

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    You would be surprised how fast I can inlet a gun from a plank. After the first couple hundred and learning the tricks of the trade, they go pretty fast!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by shredder View Post
    Wow that is sure some fine work. Anyone would be proud to have that one. The nose cap is exquisite. That must have taken some time to inlet.
    If you are referring to inletting the nose cap, it's not inlet, it's a poured pewter cap.

Boolit Master
    That's nice, really nice.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master
    That is a beautiful rifle. Any Bison that calls itself a real American would be proud to be hunted with it.

Boolit Buddy

OMG what a nice rifle. You do really great work.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Send that to me Ric......I had a trapdoor we were going to turn into an Officers Model but I have way to many projects going on.

Boolit Mold
    That is very nice. Well done!

Boolit Grand Master

Nice to see movie prop gun come back to life. Very nice.

Very nice work indeed

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    If you are referring to inletting the nose cap, it's not inlet, it's a poured pewter cap.
    Do tell. I thought the cap would have been inlet in the forend wood.

Boolit Master

Yes that one has definitely had a face lift and it is so very nice. I see it is already spoken for or I would say you can send it my way for further evaluation.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Quote Originally Posted by shredder View Post
    Do tell. I thought the cap would have been inlet in the forend wood.
    The wood is cut away to a depth of around 1/8", a form placed around the end, and pewter poured into the mold. Then, file to shape.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    The wood is cut away to a depth of around 1/8", a form placed around the end, and pewter poured into the mold. Then, file to shape.
    Awesome! I would have worked too hard on that one!

In Remembrance

Trapdoor rebirth

Ric, very nice work as usual!
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Quote Originally Posted by shooter93 View Post
    Send that to me Ric......I had a trapdoor we were going to turn into an Officers Model but I have way to many projects going on.
    I could fix that problem for you. Send me the parts (and money), I'll send back a rifle!

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

After seeing that one Ric I wish I had not sold the one I had. One of these days if the economy ever turns around you will be getting the stuff for a couple Longrifles though. You have seen pics of the guns I've had built and know the standard I require. There is no doubt in my mind Ric that you meet that standard. You and the Gunmaker I use have the same problem.....incredible talent and too few people who realize it. I would rather have one gun built by either of you then any 10 standard factory guns made.
    Last edited by shooter93; 04-01-2016 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter93 View Post
    After seeing that one Ric I wish I had not sold the one I had. One of these days if the economy ever turns around you will be getting the stuff for a couple Longrifles though. You have seen pics of the guns I've had built and know the standard I require. There is no doubt in my mind Ric that you meet that standard. You and the Gunmaker I use have the same problem.....incredible talent and too few people who realize it. I would rather have one gun built by either of you then any 10 standard factory guns made.
    I keep trying to do my best. One of these days, I will get one right. Maybe the last one before I die.

Boolit Buddy
    That's really nice. How many hours do you think it took? I'm considering one myself, but just as a shooter.