Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7.62×39 CZ Carbine. Rebarrel to what?????

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar

7.62×39 CZ Carbine. Rebarrel to what?????

This is a nice little bolt rifle, virtually a minature Mauser. It has seen a lot of Chinese ammo and I am thinking of rebarrelling it in the near future.

Any suggestions???
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    If you're open to a wildcat, or at least it would have to be treated as a wildcat due to ammo availability, how about re-boring it to the Russian 9x39? And then maybe let me play with it for a day or two?
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master
    6.5 Grendel

Both look like good options, the 9mm especially suitable for cast boolits.

Can the 6.5Grendell cases be made from 7.62x39brass?

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

I like them in the chambering they are issued in. Why do you want to change it?

Boolit Buddy
    You may be able to even get it re-bored to 9x39 instead of re-barreled. If it was just a smidge longer, it would be a good candidate for 35 Remington (I read that it is just a little short).

I suppose another option is 6.8 Remington SPC. It has a slightly larger rim diameter, though.

Yes, I have read that you can make 6.5 Grendel out of 7.62x39 brass. It may be easier out of virgin brass, though. Not that it matters a lot, but I think most Grendel cases have small primers and most 7.62x39 cases have large primers.

22 PPC , 6mm PPC , 6.5 Grendel , as others have said 9x39 or the blown out version the .358 gremlin all would be suitable and I'm sure there's a few other wildcats based on the x39/ Grendel case .

Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master
    If yours has the single stack magazine like the one they sell in the US, I think it would make a neat little .38/.357. It might even work as a .357 Max.

Robert

Boolit Master
    If starting with a new barrel, I would use a 5 groove with equal lands and grooves and a little deeper grooves and at .308. I would set the shoulder back on the 7.62x39 case for a longer neck wildcat. Maybe 0.10 or more. I would decide what boolets I wanted it to shoot and taper the leade for those.

Ok Sir...you can quit laughing now....But that is what I would do.....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by castalott View Post
    If starting with a new barrel, I would use a 5 groove with equal lands and grooves and a little deeper grooves and at .308. I would set the shoulder back on the 7.62x39 case for a longer neck wildcat. Maybe 0.10 or more. I would decide what boolets I wanted it to shoot and taper the leade for those.

I think that is kind of like a 30 ARX (6.5 Grendel necked to .308). Or you might be able to do a 30 Remington AR (slightly larger diameter case).

Ok Sir...you can quit laughing now....But that is what I would do.....
    Sounds kind of like a 30 ARX (6.5 Grendel necked to .308). You could also try a 30 Remington AR (slightly larger diameter).

Boolit Master
    Didn't they make a few different .22 caliber cartridges based on the 7.62x39 cartridge case? One of them would be almost a no brainer. I would likely just stick with the 7.62x39 as ammo is pretty common and fairly cheap too. Plus it is a fairly versatile cartridge too.

Keeping it standard is probably the most sensible option, with a 308 barrel, rather than the 311. I have a lot of 308 moulds, including a 6 Cavity Cast Boolits group buy soup can mould which would be a great plinker / small game option.

I like the idea of the longer neck, but I think that may cause more problems than it would solve for future owners.

It has the 5 shot single stack mag and is the carbine version with the open sights (I use a scope though).

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    [QUOTE= I like the idea of the longer neck, but I think that may cause more problems than it would solve for future owners.[/QUOTE]

FFoD: IMHO, Do what you want, reform the case in any way you wish, blow it out and push the shoulder back giving you what ever YOU want, and don't even be concerned with the future owners. They make reamers every day.

This is a one way ride we are on, there is no reset or do over button, Make it yours and enjoy it now!!!

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Quote Originally Posted by Lonegun1894 View Post
    If you're open to a wildcat, or at least it would have to be treated as a wildcat due to ammo availability, how about re-boring it to the Russian 9x39? And then maybe let me play with it for a day or two?
    Neat idea re-bore to 0.350 with a .358 groove dia, it be close to a 35 Rem / 35 BR.

Reboring is not available in Australia. Sprinter Arms in SA used to do it, but one of the brothers died and the surviving one cut back on what was offered.

Boolit Grand Master
    I make 6.5 Grendel from OF x39 brass. No big deal to me with the large primers. Gun still shoots better than me!!

OFx39?

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    OFx39?
    I believe the "OF" is making reference to "Once Fired "

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Personally I would rebarrel and have it the same caliber as the caliber is a good one for that rifle. Only change would be to have it 308 diameter like Ruger did with the Mini 14. Many have shot the 310 factory loads in 308 barrels in the TC pistols also. The original 303 Savage used that idea by pushing oversize bullets tyhrough a 308 barrel. Don't know the strength of that bolt action however. 308 bullets satisfactory for the cartridge are numerous, cast work well. The 5.45X39 Russian might be a good match but it is adifferent case. I have used a 32-20 and a 30-30 quite a bit and still think the original cartridge is a good one for that rifle. On a rebore I would go 35 as bullets and molds are so readilly available. But a 308 barrel would offer the same thing.

DP

Boolit Master

You'll gain a couple of grains of space when you reform a 7.62x39 case the first time to 6.5 Grendel. But its a great round once its fireformed and the shoulder is blown out.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club