MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going Glock free

Going Glock free

After struggling mightily with loads and boolits and sights and trigger sears etc. me and the Glock 19 have parted company. While I admired the simplicity and durability I could just not warm up to the little sucker and never did shoot my best with it. I had the feeling that there was accuracy there but I could not get it out.

I pick up the replacement on Tuesday. A spanking new CZ75 BD. It just feels like a pistol ought to and I have read that they are accurate.

Hoping for the start of a beautiful friendship or as close as a guy who goes by Thumbcocker can have with a self shucking pistol.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Bub
    The CZ 75 models are Nice!

Boolit Master

Can't say you didn't go up in quality!
    CZ makes a nice Hi Power clone!
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Banned
    The CZ is a great gun.

I'm sorry to hear that you and the Glock 19 didn't get along but guns can be very individualistic things.

I've always felt that the Glock model 19 and the SIG 228 represent an ideal balance between size, capacity, weight and power; at least as far as semi-auto pistols go. However, that balance is of little value if the user is unable to bond with the gun.

In the end it is a personal decision and sometimes the best path is to move on.

Boolit Master
    I traded off my Glock 30 and sold my 17, but like my 19. However, if I see something that strikes my fancy, I'm not so enamored that I won't trade it off.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy

Traded my G19 for an almost new Ruger security six 4" Best deal I ever made.

johniv, we may be brothers from different parents.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Moderator Emeritus

I know it's not fashionable to knock Glocks, and I know they really ARE fine guns. Gunny Ermy don't tell no fibs! I shot the 2nd Glock 17 to hit my county, courtesy of a friend and good pal who had to have at least one of whatever was new and just coming out. I was, very frankly, impressed, and didn't expect to be. However, I have NEVER been able to get my hands really comfortable on a Glock of any type. And I have yet to identify just why that is, too. It's frustrating because they're genuinely good guns, and I'd love to have one, but they just don't feel or point right for me. I keep my lips pooched out about it but that doesn't help either. It's tough being a misfit.

Boolit Master

I never could warm up to Glocks, although I keep a Glock 19 around. Having grown up with 1911s, Browning Hi-Powers and revolvers, I'm perennially condemned to shoot high with a Glock due to its different grip angle when engaging targets quickly or instinctively. If I had to carry one on duty, I'd shoot it enough to develop the muscle memory to correct that, but then my muscle memory for the 1911s and revolvers would be skewed.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    I never could warm up to Glocks, although I keep a Glock 19 around. Having grown up with 1911s, Browning Hi-Powers and revolvers, I'm perennially condemned to shoot high with a Glock due to its different grip angle when engaging targets quickly or instinctively. If I had to carry one on duty, I'd shoot it enough to develop the muscle memory to correct that, but then my muscle memory for the 1911s and revolvers would be skewed.

This is alot of peoples issue. If you have several glocks, you get used to them. I only had one glock, plus Browning HP, 1911, tokarev, S&W, the glock just felt off. Maybe glock did this on purpose, knowing people would not feel comfortable with other brands and buy more glocks. Friend of mine claims to not be a glock snob, even tho thats all he really owns pistol wise, and turns his nose up at firing other brands.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My Glock 19 is very accurate but has always shot high, whereas my 26 and 42 do not.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

I'd be willing to bet that Herr Glock based his grip angle on the Luger, which would be natural choice for an Austrian.

I have this same issue with a Ruger Mk I 22 match auto that I won at a pistol match years ago. Ruger later came out with a 22/45 model of the pistol with the more familiar (to US shooters anyway) 1911 grip angle.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

Your loss IMHO. To each his own.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    My Glock 19 is very accurate but has always shot high, whereas my 26 and 42 do not.
    My 26&27 are the most accurate Glocks I have shot. And the only ones that haven't given me problems with shooting high.
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Buddy
    I owned a g 19,22,43,and a 21 sf . the only 1 I could shoot decent with is the 21 sf .the 19 grouped decent but always shot low . I ended up trading the 43 in on an m&p9 shield ,traded the 19 straight up for an m&p 9 compact ,and traded the 22 for a springfield xd40 tactical . to each there own but glocks just don't do it for me .

Boolit Master
    I have a theory about why the mid size and full size glocks shoot high for 1911/hipower guys and the baby glocks do not. I think with the full size grip that the hump at the bottom of the glock grip frame pushing against the bottom of the hand makes it point high but with the baby glocks the hump doesn't hit the bottom or the hand. It more or less rests in the palm thus the muzzle points lower. I presently have a Glock 19 and to get it to point properly for me I bought a Grip force adapter which is suppose to eliminate slide bite. But for me it changed the grip angle of the 19 to something much more like a 1911.

Boolit Master
    I out one of the add on beavertails on my glock, felt like all my other guns, but also made the grip more bulky. I was about to bob the grip on my glock, a one way trip that makes it pretty hard to sell. So just traded it off for something to do like.

One would think glock would come out with a line with more traditional grip angle, just change the mold to get rid of the hump. Glock seems odd as most other guns in the same price slot come w metal sights, glock is still using plastic. Most others are shifting over to ambi controls, glock isn't. Yea was a time when glock was at the edge of things, now they always seem to be playing catch up. Single stack guns were selling like crazy, glock just figured cutting off parts of the brick would fix it, before eventually coming out w single stack guns, several years behind the curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    After struggling mightily with loads and boolits and sights and trigger sears etc. me and the Glock 19 have parted company. While I admired the simplicity and durability I could just not warm up to the little sucker and never did shoot my best with it. I had the feeling that there was accuracy there but I could not get it out.

I pick up the replacement on Tuesday. A spanking new CZ75 BD. It just feels like a pistol ought to and I have read that they are accurate.

Hoping for the start of a beautiful friendship or as close as a guy who goes by Thumbcocker can have with a self shucking pistol.
    My G19 seems to be a good shooter now but for the first 400-500 rounds it was not fun to look at the targets. The easiest Glocks for me to get along with is a gen. 3, G30 .45 ACP.
    Last edited by pmer; 03-20-2016 at 04:02 AM.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

cz 75b best shooter in a pistol i ever shot freehand 50 yards 5'' groups .all day long'''
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

I have only had one rage outing with the CZ but it shoots rings around what I was able to get out of the G19. I have absolutely no regrets.