Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Who uses a Lee Pro 1000 or Loadmaster?

Boolit Master
    Great idea. I will keep this way in mind. Got my tracking info from Titan already so it should not be to long. I would be happy if it was here by Sat. I am playing with powder measures at the moment while I watch paint dry as you all know. I used a bit more hardener on coat two so I am going to give it 24 hours to get solid.

Others have been here before me so I will ask. This next group of pictures I have is what I got with the press for powder measures. Should I change to the newer chain and adjustable powder dohicky or keep it spring run? What is the best slash better way to run on a LM press?
    I think this is a Auto disk measure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01419.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	162377I am not sure what kinda lee measure this is?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01423.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	162382 This is the update kit to take the spring away and put a chain in not sure what one is better for LM. There is also an adjustable disk to replace the round disks. Are these any good to use? What is the homemade plate with holes? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01421.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	162385 These are rifle powder measure dies not sure if there of much use anymore. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01420.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	162386I think this is a pistol powder die it was on the hopper with the chain set up in the second picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01424.jpg  

Boolit Master
    More! Any clue what this dojamohicker is? Also if I am using a lee powder through expanding die why would I need this other die?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01422.jpg  
    Last edited by Outer Rondacker; 03-01-2016 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    More! Any clue what this dojamohicker is? Also if I am using a lee powder through expanding die why would I need this other die?
    Hold down for a bench light.

GD

Attachment 162394
    Last edited by Gillie Dog; 03-01-2016 at 09:03 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Bigslug
    I understand you're frustration. I have 3 Pro 1000s and after considerable time messing with them and the actual problem, (the powder spitter), they all work fine now.
    "Considerable time"? You mean you started messing with them when your dad bought you your first razor, and got them running properly just before your 97th birthday? I might believe that.

I think we gave that press away. We might have actually sold it at a gun show, but I don't think my conscience would have allowed me to take money for it. It was one of those Bataan Death March-like experiences that would make a person with a less love of shooting quit the game entirely. What made it worse was having committed resources to multiple calibers on the platform, we felt obligated to MAKE it work, and only had more of our souls sucked out for the trouble.

DO NOT GO THERE! The time you may spend on it makes the price a false economy; the grief it may give you turns what should be fun into competition for your worst job EVER.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Bub
    Great idea. I will keep this way in mind. Got my tracking info from Titan already so it should not be to long. I would be happy if it was here by Sat. I am playing with powder measures at the moment while I watch paint dry as you all know. I used a bit more hardener on coat two so I am going to give it 24 hours to get solid.
    Awesome. I haven't used Titan myself, but with all the good talk about them, I may do so in the future.

Others have been here before me so I will ask. This next group of pictures I have is what I got with the press for powder measures. Should I change to the newer chain and adjustable powder dohicky or keep it spring run? What is the best slash better way to run on a LM press?
    Mine came with and I use the Pro Auto Disk, which it seems you have most of the parts. The autodisk requires a doubler for it to throw more powder. Instead, the person you got this from bought and used the perfect powder measure to throw rifle charges.

I would use the chain reset mechanism. It positively makes sure you get a full charge. Based on what you have, I'd try to put the Pro Autodisk in use, but I haven't converted a regular to pro, so I am not sure how to exactly do that. I believe you use the base of the autodisk, use the disks that came with it, replace the spring lever with the lever from the pro update, take the chain off the Perfect powder measure, and use the hopper from the update.

I think this is a Auto disk measure.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01419.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	162377
    I believe you are correct.

I am not sure what kinda lee measure this is?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01423.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	162382
    This is the Lee perfect powder measure. It is used to throw large rifle charges

This is the update kit to take the spring away and put a chain in not sure what one is better for LM. There is also an adjustable disk to replace the round disks. Are these any good to use? What is the homemade plate with holes? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01421.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	162385
    Yes, this is the update kit to the Pro autodisk. The adjustable charge bar is designed to "fine tune" charges, but I heard it may not be consistent. I use the round circle manufactured ones. The lever is needed to use the chain. I don't know what the plate is for.

These are rifle powder measure dies not sure if there of much use anymore. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01420.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	162386
    Probably not.

I think this is a pistol powder die it was on the hopper with the chain set up in the second picture.
    It is some sort of powder through expanding die.

Boolit Master
    That pistol die has no writing on it what so ever. Not even a mark. Two brass inserts.

As for the Lee perfect powder measure being used for rifle that is awesome. I just happened to pick up an old six station turret and was going to drop rifle dies in it. Now I will add that powder measure.

I think I am going to put the update top on the kit for starters. I ordered a new chain so I do not have to rob the other one.
    Thanks for the help.

A light holder really I would of never guessed. Well heck now I need a light. I mean isnt that how it works. I had a set of 10mm dies give to me so I had to buy a gun to match them.

Oh and Im not going there.
    Last edited by Outer Rondacker; 03-01-2016 at 11:04 PM.

Boolit Bub
    That pistol die has no writing on it what so ever. Not even a mark. Two brass inserts.
    That may be a Lee Universal Charging Die.

Boolit Master
    Bigslug
    I have read many times about the Lee Pro 1000 and it's funky primer system being the spawn of Satan. Never having seen one up close, I decided to see what the real story was. I have been a mechanic and automotive machinist for a lot of years as well as a serious tinker kind of guy. So the challange. Can I make one of these things work? I advertised for one or two of these things that simply could not be made to work. I got two fairly cheap. They were missing some parts as well. I also ordered a reman from Lee to help me figure out how it was supposed to fit together and what pieces might be missing. I didn't keep track of the time spent getting all three running properly but probably over thirty hours. What I found is that about 90% of the problem is the powder spitter. The primmer jammer sets directly under the powder spitter and malfunctions with the least bit of foreign substance getting in it. I am not going to go through all the little things that need to be fixed before you can even start loading with a brand new Pro 1000 as the fixes are all over the net and you tube. These presses should be considered a kit that has been assembled to make sure all the pieces are there. They need complete disassembly, smoothed, polished, sanded, and lubed on every piece that moves and touches anything else. Then reassembled and properly adjusted and they work pretty good.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wawoodwa View Post
    That may be a Lee Universal Charging Die.

I think you are correct again. That is just what it looks like if I unscrew it from the measure. Ill do a little reading on this item to farther understand it. Just in case a future home shows up for it.

Bigslug
    So the challange. Can I make one of these things work?
    That is where I was at. Parts are due Friday so I will be a LOOSER due to the one thread on this forum and have a nice dinner with my wife then after while we tend to our own things for the day I will retire to the loading bench. This will be running by the end of the weekend.

One more thing. As for the press being a kit. Alert you may not like this statement but its my view. Almost all progressive presses are kits. I have bought guns for pennies on the dollar that would not group. Had nasty triggers. I spent some time and fixed them all. I feel if you are that guy then this press will work for you. But I am not done so dont hold it to me yet. I need coffee.

Boolit Master
    There are people that can fix or make almost anything work. The Pro 1000 has a couple of serious design flaws that can be overcome if you have patience and the ability to see what a mechanical thing is supposed to do and figure out why is isn't. I have a Star Universal that is a nightmare to set up but now that it is set up ( and will stay that way) it will probably work many years without a hitch. I have a Dillon 550b that has worked almost flawlessly for the 20 or so years I have had it. It will spit out a live primer once or twice per thousand. Probably if I didn't wait so long to brush off the primer area, It wouldn't do that. The 550b is one solid work horse with very little that can go wrong. I replaced a 38spl shell plate that was cut wrong from the start and didn't index quite right. Free of course. I do think you are right ALMOST all progressive presses are a kit. I have done nothing to my 550b from the start other than clean and lube. Oops,couple other things, I had to replace the battery for the low primer warning thing a couple years ago and I added a knob for the powder measure so I didn't need a wrench. Had to pay for those though.
    Yeah, I just love a project gun. Lots more fun to make something work that didn't than to buy something that just works. I bought a Taurus revolver in 32S&W long that has .321 throats and a 314 bore. That was fun getting that to shoot.
    Last edited by rbuck351; 03-02-2016 at 08:19 AM.

There are people that can fix or make almost anything work. The Pro 1000 has a couple of serious design flaws that can be overcome if you have patience and the ability to see what a mechanical thing is supposed to do and figure out why is isn't. I have a Star Universal that is a nightmare to set up but now that it is set up ( and will stay that way) it will probably work many years without a hitch. I have a Dillon 550b that has worked almost flawlessly for the 20 or so years I have had it. It will spit out a live primer once or twice per thousand. Probably if I didn't wait so long to brush off the primer area, It wouldn't do that. The 550b is one solid work horse with very little that can go wrong. I replaced a 38spl shell plate that was cut wrong from the start and didn't index quite right. Free of course. I do think you are right ALMOST all progressive presses are a kit. I have done nothing to my 550b from the start other than clean and lube. Oops,couple other things, I had to replace the battery for the low primer warning thing a couple years ago and I added a knob for the powder measure so I didn't need a wrench. Had to pay for those though.
    Yeah, I just love a project gun. Lots more fun to make something work that didn't than to buy something that just works. I bought a Taurus revolver in 32S&W long that has .321 throats and a 314 bore. That was fun getting that to shoot.
    Wise post. I'll just add, I consider myself fairly mechanical. I can run a lathe and milling machine. Complete 80% uppers, do most of my home repairs, restore old cars, build computers, write software, setup networks, etc.

For me though, I don't want to fight with the tools. I don't want to have to fiddle with my torque wrench to make it read correctly. I don't want to have to mess around with my table saw to get it to cut straight, or drills, etc to make them work. I don't want to have to keep adjusting a press, keep the primer tray half full, add a vibrator to the feed trough, polish the feed with JPW, run double dies in 9mm to compensate for a loose shellplate, add stabilizer bars, etc. Or how you got a Lee working; but you don't deprime/prime/size on it. Or that you have it working; but only load one caliber on it (so the adjustments don't change).

I JUST WANT TO MAKE AMMO, then go shoot. For that purpose, I have a Dillon. I change the shell plate, set the pins, insert the right toolhead, load primers and powder and off I go. No drama.

If you enjoy the tinkering, them by all means get a Lee. If you get it working, all the more power to you. Congrats, you've reached an elite stage. However, I think if you consider all the costs of the add ons (and time) that I read about to make it work, you might be money ahead with a different brand.

Many of my best hours are spent fiddling / tweaking something; it's just that at this point in my life, a press isn't one of them.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dudel View Post
    I JUST WANT TO MAKE AMMO, then go shoot. For that purpose, I have a Dillon. I change the shell plate, set the pins, insert the right toolhead, load primers and powder and off I go. No drama.
    I am coming from only owning a Loadmaster. When I made the purchase, I researched Lee, Dillon, Hornady, & RCBS. I compared costs to capability. I then took a chance on Lee. I knew going into it, I was going to set dies, set primer adjustment, set powder, etc.

As I didn't make another purchase, I don't know what the other manufacturers have to offer. Based on your comment, I am under the impression that you take the Dillon out of its shipping box, screw it to the bench, add powder & primers, and make cartridges. If that is true, then the price differential makes some sense to me.

I estimate the first time setup for me on the Lee took about 2 hours. If the Dillon is just set and go (die set, bullet depth set, crimp set, etc.) from the factory, then essentially you are paying the factory some consulting time (around $100/hr) to have it ready to go when you get it from UPS. I can understand that.

Boolit Master
    If I was more WELL OFF we would not have this thread. As it stands I will have $100 dollars into my LM with all new parts. One extra powder measure worth 25 bucks with the rifle drop die. In my mind it is worth something and will work for me on another press. If I was to keep with the I have 100 bucks into the press one would be hard pressed to find a RCBS or Dillon, Hornady for that. If they did they got very lucky and well as I have stated in the past I have got very lucky in getting a brand new SDB in 9mm for $25. This does not happen every day. We need to stop comparing a 1979 Volkswagen beetle up next to a 1979 Porsche 911 it is not on the same level.

I will be searching for a LEE PRO 1000 after I get this LM going just so I can see what all the fuss is.
    Last edited by Outer Rondacker; 03-02-2016 at 10:43 AM.

I estimate the first time setup for me on the Lee took about 2 hours. If the Dillon is just set and go (die set, bullet depth set, crimp set, etc.)... I can understand that.
    Thats pretty much it. That is why they hold there value so well along with the warranty.

My oldest Dillon's are 30 and worth more today after years of use than they cost new.

Quote Originally Posted by wawoodwa View Post
    Based on your comment, I am under the impression that you take the Dillon out of its shipping box, screw it to the bench, add powder & primers, and make cartridges. If that is true, then the price differential makes some sense to me.
    The 550 was pretty much as easy to setup as you describe! I did have to set up the dies. But having used a single stage (and an LCT) previously, that was pretty fast. Now, I have my dies in tool holders. Since I seat and crimp in two stations, the only adjustment I need to make is seating depth (and possibly powder throw).

Even easier, is their Square Deal B (SDB). It comes with proprietary dies all set up. IIRC, the powder dump is adjusted as well. Might not be setup for the powder, drop or projectile you plan to use; but if you do have the right powder, primers, and projectiles, it's really a bolt, load and go operation. I had a SDB many years ago; but couldn't get past the proprietary dies and inability to do rifle. If you plan on doing one pistol caliber (and lots of it), a SDB is worth a look.
    Last edited by dudel; 03-02-2016 at 11:31 AM.

Boolit Master
    I really like tinkering with this kind of stuff or it would NOT be worth it. My Dillon worked out of the box other than die adjustments. And IIRC it was $325 when I got it. The 550b is a simple press for a progressive, never gets out of time, has no dinky little pieces to break or bend, the powder measure does not leak and even if it did it wouldn't affect anything. It's just a simple, strong, reliable press that loads a lot of ammo in a hurry. Cheap it is not, in price or build. But if all you want to do is load ammo, I recommend it highly. If you have a Pro 1000, you will probably be tinkering with it off and on. Not something I would want to do if I needed a bunch of ammo in a hurry. Murphy would probably show up making sure it didn't happen.

If I was more WELL OFF we would not have this thread. As it stands I will have $100 dollars into my LM with all new parts. One extra powder measure worth 25 bucks with the rifle drop die. In my mind it is worth something and will work for me on another press. If I was to keep with the I have 100 bucks into the press one would be hard pressed to find a RCBS or Dillon, Hornady for that. If they did they got very lucky and well as I have stated in the past I have got very lucky in getting a brand new SDB in 9mm for $25. This does not happen every day. We need to stop comparing a 1979 Volkswagen beetle up next to a 1979 Porsche 911 it is not on the same level.

I will be searching for a LEE PRO 1000 after I get this LM going just so I can see what all the fuss is.
    Well, if we were ALL well off we'd be running multiple 1050s!

You have $100 into the LM, say you find a Pro 1000 for $50, you're now $100 away from a BL550b. Use your new powder measure on it, and you've got a NEW machine with a lifetime warranty, that will hold (or increase) in value.

Of course first thing I'd do on the BL550 is to update the primer system. But the beauty of the BL, is that YOU upgrade it when YOU want to.
    Last edited by dudel; 03-02-2016 at 12:56 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dudel View Post
    Well, if we were ALL well off we'd be running multiple 1050s!

You have $100 into the LM, say you find a Pro 1000 for $50, you're now $100 away from a BL550b. Use your new powder measure on it, and you've got a NEW machine with a lifetime warranty, that will hold (or increase) in value.

Of course first thing I'd do on the BL550 is to update the primer system. But the beauty of the BL, is that YOU upgrade it when YOU want to.
    This is an endless debate. This thread is not about BLUE presses. Nor can I find a blue press (RL550B) for $100 plus $50 add $100 for a total of $250. To each his own.

My bench is in place and I will be moving my presses over to it tonight. I have one half hour time on the press so far polishing things up. My tracker saying parts are inbound tomorrow so time will tell if its junk or not. I have 10k 230g 45 projectiles ready to go with about 5k cases cleaned. This press has its work cut out for it. Lets play nice guys we are all in this for enjoyment.
    Last edited by Outer Rondacker; 03-02-2016 at 03:28 PM.

It would be great to buy a 550B for a couple hundred $, but no chance of that here (I recently saw a used one for sale for $900!). So having a couple of used Pro 1000's, and buying whatever bits I needed to fix them up, made far more sense to me. Yes, I spent a bit of time on them, but it was also a challenge to get them working. They will work as progressives, although they require babying to do so, but that's no big deal as I'm not loading for commercial use. Now that I've split the functions over the two presses I'm very happy with them, plus all the money I've saved by not spending an exorbitant amount on a Dillon ($1500 new!) goes towards other things - guns, powder, primers, sewing machines etc. etc.

Outer Rondacker, I have no doubt that you will get it working ok (I don't see any reason why you shouldn't).

Boolit Master
    Anybody with some mechanical ability and a boat load of patience can make a Pro 1000 work properly. They are a delicate machine and must be operated carefully. Many think there time is more valuable than that and they are probably correct for their situation. Some of us consider things like this to be a mechanical puzzle. Something therapeutic to occupy our spare time that can produce a useable thing. I could easily afford a new 550b if I thought I needed another one. Three Pro 1000s permanently set up for one and only one caliber at about $120 each and a Star set up for another caliber,it was free, a 550 set up for lg pistol primers a couple of turrets and a rock chucker and I can just go to a set up press and start loading for the stuff I shoot most. I'm now on the look out for a LM. Not because I need it but because I have heard bad things about them and I want to see for myself. I suspect they are not as bad as the Pro 1000. Anyone got a real basket case for sale cheap?