WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arthritis relief?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KAF View Post
    Best advise availible.... Go see a Rhuematologist.
    this is exactly the best and only advice. arthritis is not too be taken lightly, it can and will criple you. its has destroyed my life, trust me go see a doc and get it under control before it causes more damage.

Boolit Master

California - in the land of taxes and no representation.
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I went to ......Stevia for sweetner. .......
    Waksupi - I don't know about Montana, but here in CA, Stevia is real easy to grow. As long as I don't harvest the whole plant, it lasts year to year. you can either dry and grind the leaves for powder, or you can boil the leaves for liquid sweetener.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarry scarney View Post
    Waksupi - I don't know about Montana, but here in CA, Stevia is real easy to grow. As long as I don't harvest the whole plant, it lasts year to year. you can either dry and grind the leaves for powder, or you can boil the leaves for liquid sweetener.
    does this start from seed, or cuttings?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

California - in the land of taxes and no representation.
    We got ours from Lowes/Home depot as a small plant.

Been reading about DMSO, has some interesting info but it seems there's a garlic breath side effect?

My wife is an eye care receptionist in a big Kaiser clinic, and the Rheumatology dept. is right next to hers, so she's gonna talk to them. That's probably my best course of action for now.

But the thought of a salve I can rub in for some real relief is very appealing. I'm a frequent shopper at a nearby farm and ranch store, I'll check into what they have.

Boolit Master

Wonder if they have some stuff for horses that could be utilized? I know a lot of horsemen that use other horse drugs.

Boolit Master
    DMSO
    If you can stomach the taste it leaves in your mouth it works pretty good.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bayjoe View Post
    DMSO
    If you can stomach the taste it leaves in your mouth it works pretty good.
    Di-methyl Sulfate was used in the oilfield years ago as a 'Surfactant'... a surface active agent... that coated the clay particles in the drilling fluid to prevent unwanted hydration. We used it by the drum... often 8 to 10 drums at a time. If you stuck your hand in it, within 20 seconds you had a taste of oysters in your mouth. Not entirely unpleasant if you happen to like oysters. Back then you could wash out that nasty taste with a couple of beers... the oilfield just isn't fun anymore.

RA is a immune system going nuts. The body attacks the cartilage in the joints as it is a intruder, it eats it away over time. It WILL remove ALL the cartilage over time. The idea of treating it is to stop or slow what the immune system is doing. Salves or ointment does nothing but treat a bit of pain by numbing the nerve endings while the damage continues. OA is from damage done over time by use and damage on the joints.
    NO SALVE OR OINTMENT WILL stop the RA, or put it into remission.

Boolit Master

Rondog, I have it in the same place, big joint on the right thumb area. Sometimes feels like I have grabbed hold of a high voltage wire. Agree with Waksupi, I use "Blu-Emu." salve.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

WD-40 helps, and Tylenol Artritis, it isn't an NSAID.

Boolit Buddy
    I have Disc Degenerative Disease where all the discs of my spine are falling apart. I have several that are already gone vertebrae on vertebrae, grinding. Some are just herniated ready to blow and some that are bulging. I walk with a cane sometimes and sometimes I don't walk at all.
    Been promised a wheelchair in a few short years by two different docs.
    On top of all the spinal issues I also have old 'arthur' too and i'll second what waksupi said about changing your diet helps tremendously.

As for salves, ointments and the like:

Soaking in Magnesium Sulfate (Epsom Salts) in a HOT bath helps and one doctor recommended a tablespoon of concentrated Cherry (it's a paste) everyday as it helps eliminate inflammation, and Blu Emu. These are the one's that I've tried, but currently I am only doing the Epsom Salts, diet, pain meds and the occasional sports cream rub with wifely massaging (meow!)
    The Blu Emu is a bit expensive and the Cherry is hard to find.
    I've read about studies on the bee stinging and according to those studies there showing real promise for pain relief. It's something about that venom that eliminates the inflammation. You might want to study up on it some.

Anyway, HTH.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

μολων λαβε

Boolit Buddy
    HTH ... "It's something about that bee venom that eliminates the inflammation." Multiple stings sure will take your mind off of the 'old arthur', for a bit anyway!

Doc says no SAID's for me too. I often use an 'horse linament' my wife bought at an online equine supply house somewhere for me. Truthfully, a long & hot epsom salts bath work wonders on my degenerative disk disease & three back surgeries over the last 20 years.

Jim

Boolit Master

I really feel for you guys with the back trouble, as that is some painful and lingering misery.

Windwalker, I had a fella tell me about the cherries. Said it really helps him.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Moderator Emeritus

Some good comments. For many years, I watched many, my Mom chief among them, become virtually disabled by arthritis. Mom had it so bad near the last that sometimes, she'd just look at me with that forloorn look, and tears would run down her cheeks the pain was so bad. And she wasn't one to carry pain very well, either. She tried everything she heard of, and some things would help a little at times, but it never went away. Hers was in her tail bone, where she fell once on the back door steps taking out the laundry to dry.

From her and many others I've known through the years, it seems to me that the general pattern is you have to try different things to see which one(s) work for YOU. That's not good news, but at least it's a promise that a good search should come up with something that'll at the very least take the worst of the edge off the pain. I've heard the vinegar and honey cure has worked well for some, but not for others. Have heard WD-40 works for some and not for others. All sorts of things seem to work for some folks, and not for others. I have the beginnings of it in my hands, and have found a product, that a friend with stronger arthritis recommended, called Two Old Goats. Comes in a dark blue 8 oz. bottle, and a little dab'll do ya', and it seems to free up my hands when they get stiff, and any pain is gone, too. I get mine at a little local "country store" here, but you can call 866-324-3787 or go to twooldgoats.com and check it out. I pay $10 per bottle here, and so far, I've been impressed with it. My buddy who referred me to it swears by it, and another buddy who has the same problems keeps it by his side, and will use it generally about twice a day. That 8 oz. goes a long way. The ingredients don't seem like they'd do a whole lot, especially in the %'s they list, but all I can attest to is that it's worked well for me and two friends who've tried it.

Some use the horse linament, and swear by it, too, as well as the emu oil Johnny Bench touts. The strangest and hardest part of arthritis seems to be what works for one does't necessarily work for the next person, and that makes it a search rather than a simple diagnosis and Rx. But at least there are many things to try, and one of them should work for you. It does for most people. You just have to keep on keeping on until you find what works for you. That's been my experience, at least. YMMV. It sure does wear a person down when you're hurting nearly all the time! Best wishes that you find something quickly that works for you.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I've noticed I eat a lot more hay after using it.
    If you start stomping to count, then I suggest you see your family doctor.

Let's see how many catch that one..

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

μολων λαβε

Boolit Master

everyone seems to be hung up on thse home redemies. while they may make it feel good for a short time, they are masking a real problem. dont F around with this stuff. RA literally eats away the cartilidge in your body, even while your linaments and other hokum are making it feel better, its destroying your body from the inside. the longer you dilly dally with home cures and pfm, the more damage that is being done, and it is not reversable!!!! read that and make sure you understand, NON REVERSABLE!!!!!!!!!! you dont wanna live like i do, RA has eaten 98% of the cartilidge in both of my wrists, let me tell you it aint no damned fun. the faster you and a doc work out how to control it, the less damage that will be done, and the less pain you will live in daily for the rest of your life. still wanna mess around with wd40 and other hokum, youve been warned.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    I really feel for you guys with the back trouble, as that is some painful and lingering misery.

Windwalker, I had a fella tell me about the cherries. Said it really helps him.

Yep, it effects you whole body. I've sneezed before and almost blacked out from the pain.... and there's been times i've fondly considered sawing off my right leg.

On the Cherries. When I was taking the concentrated version we had a GNC here locally, but it went ta-ta's up, and that's the main reason I no longer take it. And too, I wasn't for sure that it really made that big of a difference.But like you, others have had good benefit from them and what effect's me will effect someone else differently.

Speaking of which, what is the benefits of WD-40??

That is a new one for me.

μολων λαβε

Banned

my grandpa used to say it helped him
    Quote Originally Posted by big bore 99 View Post
    I also read about the WD40 cure. Haven't used that but use Absobine Jr a little. The best thing is excercise but don't overdo it.

Boolit Master

lefty o's got it. Topical solutions, according to 2 Docs I consulted, are bogus, may have a placebo effect but nothing beyond that. My right wrist joint is gone, kinda tough on a right handed chef, gonna get it fused next winter. In the mean time, periodic cortizone injections in the wasted joints do help the pain.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast