MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Found some ingots today at the scrap yard but need help using them

Quote Originally Posted by typz2slo View Post
    Wish I had seen this earlier. I just boiled with nothing else added. I dont think I got all the lube off because the powder coat didnt cover as good as fresh cast boolits. I will keep this in mind the next time I de lube boolits. Thanks for the good information.
    I would be a little leary of using the lemishine as it is sort of a polishing coating type cleaner I thought. Never used it but it is a common ingredient for cleaning / polishing brass in a wet tumbler. Powder coat does not like contaminants on the lead. Detergent you can rinse off, don't know about lemishine.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I was able to have the samples analyzed. The results are;

Sample #1
    Pb = 97.2%
    Sb = 2.8%
    Sn = 0%

Sample #2
    Pb = 95.2%
    Sb = 4.8%
    Sn = 0%

Sample #3
    Pb = 95.3%
    Sb = 4.7%
    Sn = 0%

The first sample may have had a bit of the antimony skimmed off during smelting, due to my inexperience. I did take some oatmeal stuff off of it. Where would it have originated with the antimony and no tin? Not that it matters at this point, but inquiring minds...

Would I be correct in adding about 5% tin into this mix to make them fill out more effectively? I think this would nearly make a Lyman #2 alloy. Is there a more effective way to utilize this current alloy?

I mostly do plain base, less than 1400 fps at this time, mostly 45-70, 500 S&W, and 44. I also do some GC 7x57 that creeps up to 1500. Paper is easy to kill with proper shot placement.

Thank you for your continued support.

Tim

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Do not waste your money. Add only a max of 2% Sn. Try it out and keep adding Sn until you get the fill-out you are saatisfied with......up to 2%. Your mold temp is far more critical! Pre heat to full casting temp B4 even starting. Also lead pot temp is very important for fill-out.

I melt down and keep my Sn in 1/4# ingots so it is easy to add. My 120+# of lead-free solder is the easiest to add...just clip off a length and stuff it in!

A little Ssn goes a long way toward what you are after.

bangerjim

That sounds great, bangerjim. Doing nothing comes naturally to me. I will see if I can get some of it used up this morning.

A good rule of thumb is not over 2% EXCEPT for when making high end alloy such as Lyman #2 then keep the tin equal to or slightly less than the antimony. Sn & Sb will alloy with each other but more Sn than Sb is totally wasted.

You might want to get sample #1 up to not more than 2% but those other 2 you may find you want to take some of that and add tin to get near to Lyman #2 for possible use at your more powerful loads or just to see if any of your firearms really like the harder lead. I'm 100% sure you won't find it unpleasant to cast with 3/4.5/92 made using solder at 1# to 19# or if you can get some pewter same ratio yields real close to Lyman #2 at 4.6/4.8/90.5 with expected BHN of 14.4 and I don't always cast with Lyman #2 but man I always enjoy it when I do.

BTW - I tumble lube most stuff so lead hardness is of more concern than it would be for powder coating. Banger does a lot of PC boolits and that is something I'm just starting to use for rifle. He can use softer lead to better effect.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Lemishine is just citric acid and surfactants (detergents).
    I have cleaned the lube off of bullets by boiling in water + lemishine + laundry detegent (gets grease stains out of clothes).
    After the boil they were squeekly clean.
    I then powder coated and the PC stuck on like white on rice